Engine Block Heater throwing GFI and Breakers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Engine Block Heater throwing GFI and Breakers

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
MisterScotty
Junior User
MisterScotty is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am having a curious issue in that whatever I plug the engine block heater into via extension co0rd, it trips the GFI or the breaker in the box. No issue with the 350. I guess I have a short in it. Anyone else having this issue? It was working fine...

Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
oklarado is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry for the problems... I had to do a double take looking at your list of cars in your signature.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:45 PM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Originally Posted by oklarado View Post
Sorry for the problems... I had to do a double take looking at your list of cars in your signature.
I have vehicular ADD. Still cheaper than having girlfriends on the side - that is how i justify to wifey.

Thinking about getting rid of the F-150. But I have about 10k into on top of the truck....

Old 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Sleepyguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have a volt meter check the resistance of the cord and wiring. Also check the block heater plug. I think it's suppose to read 15 ohms

Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 PM
MisterScotty
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy View Post
If you have a volt meter check the resistance of the cord and wiring. Also check the block heater plug. I think it's suppose to read 15 ohms
Thank you very much.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Sleepyguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
It might also be the power outlet has a lot on the curcuit to start with. Only way I know to test is to try a different one.

Buddy was ready to replace his block heater. We did some digging and found his cable he "repaired" was faulty.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
BII Plow Truck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MisterScotty View Post
I am having a curious issue in that whatever I plug the engine block heater into via extension co0rd, it trips the GFI or the breaker in the box. No issue with the 350. I guess I have a short in it. Anyone else having this issue? It was working fine...
It's the GFI, replace it and all will be good. They wear out with use, and are especially sensitive in an outdoor / garage environment. I'm in the block heater business.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:21 AM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Be sure to use the shortest extension cord available with the lowest numerical wire gauge.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:23 PM
cretelife77
New User
cretelife77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been having the same problem and about to take it to the dealer. It was working fine for 2 weeks until last week (truck is 2 months old)

Tried 3 different cords, went and bought a 12 gauge 25' cord, still blowing different breakers at house, cleaned plug with electronics cleaner and brush.

Took it to work, blew up 2 different breakers at work.

Showing 14.7ohms on multimeter. Dunno.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
rezneck
New User
rezneck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just had this happen last night. Been about -25C for the past few nights and the truck starts fine, just thought I would plug it in. All my good extention cords are at camp, the one I had left was an old one and about 20 feet long. Will have to try a different cord and different plug in to see if one or the other is the problem.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:43 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
CRSFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it is a 15 AMP circuit and you have other plugs drawing off that circuit, 10 AMPS could be enough to overload it. Try plugging a hair dryer (typically 15 AMP draw) into the same plug and see if it trips the breaker as well.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 PM
dsladdict
Senior User
dsladdict is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MisterScotty View Post
Take a look underneath your truck. Trace the wiring for the heater plug back into the frame. There is an amphenol(connector) that most likely has water in it. Pull it apart, dry it out real good, and use some dielectric grease around the seal and put is back together.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 PM
bbronco66
Junior User
bbronco66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I am not mistaken, doesn't Ford recommend using a 10 gauge cord no longer than ten feet?

Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
It's the GFI, replace it and all will be good. They wear out with use, and are especially sensitive in an outdoor / garage environment. I'm in the block heater business.
^^^ This. GFCI have their place but it's going to cause more trouble than their worth with block heaters. Just use a standard outlet and call it a day.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
dsladdict is starting off with a positive reputation.
The heater draws roughly 1000 watts int a 120 volt circuit so about 8 to 9 amps. A 12 gauge extension cord is sufficient up to 100 foot assuming no more that 3% voltage drop....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Block Heater throwing GFI and Breakers

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.