Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2008 ford escape flex pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 AM
ex0r
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ford escape flex pipe replacement

Hello there guys. My flexpipe recently broke, and as a temporary fix I pieced it together using a universal flex pipe and some exhaust tape and clamps. When shopping around, I came across this:

Walker Exhaust Pipe 50465 - Read Reviews on Walker #50465

Is this an OEM part for a 2008 ford escape 3.0? It looks somewhat correct, although I do not remember seeing the other two fittings in that picture on it. (It looks like the end with the flex pipe is the end that connects to the catalytic converter, and the other two connect to the front and back headers on the engine, but I don't recall seeing a fitting like whats on the end of that flex pipe on my car (It could be that it was cut off, too).

If this is the OEM one, then perhaps the original exhaust shop cut off the fitting between the cat and where the flexpipe attaches. Is there a way that I can get parts to re-make this section of exhaust so that I can use this piece? The flex pipe they originally put in was too big and it came loose again forcing me to have to rig it again since I can't weld, and needed to get it fixed quickly.

I really do not want to replace the entire exhaust system if I don't need to, and hoping I don't have to.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:15 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
FWIW, that's what I remember the same pipe for our 2003 Escape 3.0. Two fittings to the header, one flange on the rear to the cat.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 AM
ex0r
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do think that's correct, I just think that the original muffler shop cut the flange off the cat side to put the new flex pipe in. If that's the case, I am wondering how hard it would be to put a new flange back on. From what I can see, the new catalytic converter doesn't have a flange on it either, so I wonder how you are supposed to attach them when you replace the parts.

Of course, I am not looking at OEM dealership parts. Not spending $600 for a catalytic converter because it says MOTORCRAFT on it.

Is it possible to buy those flange connectors (universally I guess), and re-make the flange? I did manage to find a non OEM one with the flange on it for 137, so maybe I can just replace both of them, although from what I remember the original one must have had a flange on both sides.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
I guess if you can find the parts and have a mig welder you can do anything. You're first going to have to figure out what parts you can get. If there's a muffler shop around they might even have an old ng cat you could cut the flange off of?

Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a muffler shop around me $39.99 might want to call around some exhaust shops

Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
When I did the exhaust on my '02, the flex portion had two flanges on the forward side (mounted to the upper CATs) and a flange on the exit side to mount onto the main CAT.

Cutting the flange off the main cat to mount a temporary fix is a shame and unless the flex side of that coupling had severely degraded pipe, simply clamping it there would have been easier.

As mentioned, any shop with a MIG should be able to fabricate a new flange onto the front side of the main CAT. I personally would wonder about remaining life of the CAT and would probably swallow the lump and replace it.