2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

CCSB vs CCLB

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
CCSB vs CCLB

I am attempting to finalize my upcoming F350 crew cab order.
One of the things i need to decide is short box or long box.
I really like the 48 gal. tank with the LB, and it will fit in my garage, however I am concerned about the turning circle.
The CCSB has a 53 foot turning circle, and the CCLB has a 57.8 foot turning circle. I tow a 33ft travel trailer, and i am wondering if the larger turning circle has significant adverse effects on backing into camp sights, etc.

Can anyone with a CCLB shed any light on this for me ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails

Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This should end up being a good thread
My vote is for the long box
1- better ride due to longer wheelbase
2-bigger fuel tank like you said
3-always nice to have that extra space in the box and still close the tailgate
4-you say you have the room for it in the garage
Yes it will be harder to maneuver but you will get use to it pretty fast either way you will like it I'm sure of that!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the turning radius' of the prior Gen 250/350? I'm curious if they improved much?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Litre
Senior User
For me, the driveability and parkability were huge factors since this rig is also my daily driver in a decently sized city. I tow a decently heavy/long RV 10-20 times a year for family vacations and weekend getaways. Every other day I'm usually empty. This contributed to my decision to get a short bed

Parking lots in the Boise area are generally not long bed/dually friendly and with twin two-year-olds, having a vehicle that I could fit in most parking spots was pretty huge

Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bigger tank is good, bigger bed space is good
Sharper turning radius is good, easier to park is good.

Decisions decisions....

Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 PM
AngelesCrest
Junior User
You will have to back into nearly every parking space as a long bed will stick out too much. Go with a longbed and the ultimate camera system. Plan on never parallel parking. Some drivethrus will be difficult to negotiate and some parking decks impossible to get into.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
First Super Duty was a CCSB.
Hated the small fuel tank and smaller bed size. Traded for a 2015 CCLB, love the larger fuel tank and the extra room in the bed.
The larger turning radius has not been a big problem towing for me.
If I needed to replace tomorrow it would be another CCLB.
Pat

Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM
SBC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really on the fence when I ordered mine. I went with the long box after 10 years of short box. I think the thing that pushed me over the edge was the bigger fuel tank and the ability to put three dirt bikes in the bed with tailgate up.
My observations are that the ride is marginally different, parking is definitely worse but you do get used to it, towing is a bit better but not a deal changer, turning a gooseneck/fifth wheel is super awesome, I way prefer the looks of the short box, fuel tank is 👍.
I'm still not a 100% sure if I made the best decision, but I do love the long box when I need it, which is about 20% of the time for me.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SBC

I was really on the fence when I ordered mine. I went with the long box after 10 years of short box. I think the thing that pushed me over the edge was the bigger fuel tank and the ability to put three dirt bikes in the bed with tailgate up.
My observations are that the ride is marginally different, parking is definitely worse but you do get used to it, towing is a bit better but not a deal changer, turning a gooseneck/fifth wheel is super awesome, I way prefer the looks of the short box, fuel tank is 👍.
I'm still not a 100% sure if I made the best decision, but I do love the long box when I need it, which is about 20% of the time for me.
Well for me i think you made the right choice that truck just looks right with the long box

Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 PM
jackfordsd350
Laughing Gas
Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
I have been driving a long box for 18 years. Above reasons are all good reasons for the choice. It is not that difficult to maneuver once you get used to it. Short box just does not hold many items I haul.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:49 PM
workingdan
Senior User
I wanted a long box but like you was concerned with movability. I decided to get the supercab long bed because kid is grown and on his own now. I dont get to park in garage due to the collection of motorcycles and the wife getting premium parking LOL.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:00 PM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Having owned a 17 lb and sb here's my take.
-the ride is surprisingly better in the sb. I think towing would be awesome on the lb but just tooling around the lb was really bouncey and hit hard at times.
- the sb obvious is much easier to park. At time felt like driving. A battleship. My issue is the parking garages of Pittsburgh do not cater to big vehicles.
-the lb is awesome on 48gal fuel tank vs 34gallon fuel tank
-sb looks better to me when not lifted
-5th wheel hauling sucks on a sb imo
-general hauling sucks on a sb
-seem to be harder to resale for some reason

Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
To me, the 48 gal tank is reason enough to get the LB. But to tell the truth in regards to my previous SB, I've never said to myself, "You know, I've just got too much room back here." I've kicked myself many times for not getting the LB in my previous truck.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Long bed hands down. Looks much better, better ride, bigger fuel tank, tows better, better on snow and ice...the list goes on. Park away from everyone and stay away from big cities.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess I don't get the whole parking issue if you're not driving/parking in a crowded city area. That would be the only time where I would wish I had a shorty, but even then it ain't easy.
i've had a 97cclb, 2000cclb, 2001ccsb, 2004cclb dually, 2008cclb and my 17cclb. I gave the short box a shot, but never again will I ever do that. I never had enough bed space and, to me, it didn't look right.
as far as parking, my 97 had an awful turning radius, but it never bothered me during parking, I always backed it in.
I'm one if those that will squeeze it into just about any spot to get as close to the establishment doors.
Well, now I park the 17 as far away from other cars as possible, too many people don't know how to open their door without banging it into other cars.
But the long box, to me is such a better truck, it has the much bigger fuel cell and it's a more stable platform for towing. To me it rides much smoother than a short box. Someone above said the shorty rode smoother than the LB, but that was definitely not my experience at all. The shorty tends to porpoise and buck, you don't see that very often in a lb .

Quick Reply: CCSB vs CCLB