Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you but this and if so would you pay that price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you but this and if so would you pay that price?

Okay guys I know a lot goes into buying a 6.0 but right off the get go having said that it is over 200k miles would you pay $17k+ for this rig? That is without even checking over anything on the truck or even a thought to check its vitals?

One owner owned according to the seller so that could explain the mileage and maybe they traveled a lot.

For the record this truck is not for me but rather someone in my neighborhood was asking me about Excursions because they are looking to buy one and they knew I had a little experience.

I wanted to offer them the best advice but when they showed me this amongst all the things that pop into my head with a 6.0 I can't justify the cost.

I know the value of these trucks is going up as they become harder and harder to find but that mileage just has me wondering. Yes I know it is Diesel so that does not always matter. My truck is 193k+ but even the way it sits with everything I have done to do it realistically I don't think I would buy if for $17k. Just my 2 cents.

What do you guys think?

Cars for Sale: Used 2005 Ford Excursion in 4WD Limited, ARLINGTON WA: 98223 Details - Sport Utility - Autotrader

Old 02-14-2017, 02:52 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
17K and the first picture has a big dent in the fender... That's awful strong money for those kind of miles, but with an Excursion, I believe condition to be everything. What is the condition of the ball joints, bearings, steering, brakes, tires.... some of those things could have up to 200K on them, or they could be newer drastically affecting the price for me.

At a glance though, that looks like a 13-14K wagon to me. That is assuming it has no rust underneath.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM
wallew
Senior User
I actually bought an 05 Limited 4x4 V10 with 94k on the clock. Paid $14k plus another $1k for shipping to me, so $15k total.

I then proceeded to put another two (ish) into it with all new fluids, replaced both diffs and the tranny cover (another $1k). Plus a slightly larger transmission cooler.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nny-cover.html

I'm probably at the $18k mark with the work done.

But I got exactly what I want. Strangely enough, it came out of a third party dealer from ARLINGTON, WASHINGTON like the EX in your link. That EX has the overhead, drop down video screen as well. Which mine doesn't. Plus the HU has been updated.

If the overall condition is as clean as the one I bought, it's not a great deal, but they aren't asking $25k or more which you can find those numbers all over the interweb.

You put your money down and take your chances. IF you are lucky like we were, because we hope to get at least the next ten years of usage - probably one or two trips a year during that period, as that what we bought it for. Then your neighbor would like this vehicle.

Everybody's usage varies. But these are a great platforms for sure.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 326 Likes on 247 Posts
No.
I would never endorse,encourage,support or recommend a 6.0 regardless of price.

Those who know enough about them and are willing to take the risk don't ask for purchase recommendations because they know what the cost and risk are. For everybody else stay away.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way I would pay that for multiple reasons.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The X carries a premium with it. And when they are clean even with high miles it can be worth it. No rust and no repairs needed may make it worth the money! It needs to be inspected in person. And then a decision can be made.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
No.
I would never endorse,encourage,support or recommend a 6.0 regardless of price.

Those who know enough about them and are willing to take the risk don't ask for purchase recommendations because they know what the cost and risk are. For everybody else stay away.
I can't honestly agree with you on that. Though I completely agree a 6.0 can be trouble that does not mean stay away from them all and to tell someone like my neighbor to stay away.

My first 6.0 was problems but after trading it i didnt hesitate to get another which is my truck now which has been nearly flawless. With forums like this one if you explain the risks and the worse case scenario to them and they still bite the bullet it's on them and ultimately their decision.

Sorry I appreciate your opinion I did ask for it I just don't support you.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
I can't honestly agree with you on that. Though I completely agree a 6.0 can be trouble that does not mean stay away from them all and to tell someone like my neighbor to stay away.

My first 6.0 was problems but after trading it i didnt hesitate to get another which is my truck now which has been nearly flawless. With forums like this one if you explain the risks and the worse case scenario to them and they still bite the bullet it's on them and ultimately their decision.

Sorry I appreciate your opinion I did ask for it I just don't support you.
So when you recommend a particular 6.0 to your neighbor and that vehicles 6.0 with the design flaw of the motor rear their ugly head, what do you tell your neighbor ? Oops sorry, they just do that sometimes. Sorry about the $7000-$8000 repair bill, I sure hope it doesn't do it again.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its for the neighbor nobody likes...You know the one in all the neighborhoods.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
No I wouldn't feel guilty because I would lay it down on the table to them the most worse case scenario they could have. Motor takes a **** and you end up replacing it with a Cummins or reman Ford.

This neighbor of mine has and will continue to be forwarned especially since I own both 6.0 truck and V10. They are grown adults and will make their own assumptions based on what I tell them. They also are aware of this Forum so they again can make their own assumptions on what to believe or not to believe.

Back to original topic at hand though is the price. That's the issue not the fact that a 6.0 is completely a waste of time to buy.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Maybe its for the neighbor nobody likes...You know the one in all the neighborhoods.

Lmao! Neighbor but not someone I really know so I guess if it goes south for them it wouldn't make much difference. Unless of course they take it out on me for praising the 6.0 and convincing them to buy it lol.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4

Back to original topic at hand though is the price. That's the issue not the fact that a 6.0 is completely a waste of time to buy.
If your neighbor has access to this forum then I have to assume he can also access NADA guides and other vehicle value guides ? Perpahs he should give that a try.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I don't think I could buy it without checking it out, but from the pictures..it looks to be in good shape. As long as your neighbor knows that he could spend upwards of $2500 for the front end and brakes, then he knows about the failures of the 6.0 and could spend in the $6000 or $7000 range for head gaskets. Or he could be a lucky soul as myself that has bought two 6.0s and has only had a hpop go out that was from my doing and now looks like a oil cooler failure in my current Ex.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
I'd buy 2 or 3 V10 'fixer' Excursions for the same $ instead.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Someone needs to look at the roof. I checked out a black Excursion locally for a buyer from the bay area, the roof paint was cracked ALL over the place.

Also someone needs to crawl under it and make sure it's dry underneath.

...all of this is of course independent of any possible 6.0 issues.

Quick Reply: Would you but this and if so would you pay that price?