Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Camper

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Yeah, the tires on one side are one year old, and the tires on the other side are two-three years old, but they are in very good shape. Those are the ones I am concerned about the valve stem cracks. I plan to replace those tires on that side in the next year or so. I did also have a blowout on mine, and was able to get stopped quickly and changed out the tire on the side of the road.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:56 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
That would be exciting! Creating memories in them boys for years to come.

Things on the list, of things to do still are, check tire pressure, cut holes in the caps of the hub covers to grease the hubs, wash the dirty pig on the outside, put a 9 volt battery in the smoke detector, and put new valve cores in the tires, as two are cracking pretty bad. (sooner rather than later)
Hope so, that's what we're shooting for

I'll need to install the battery\propane tank tonight and check over all systems. Unfortunately I'll be doing this at the lake, in the cold rain

Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Is your tank and battery located in the camper, or on the tongue of the trailer?

Old 04-16-2021, 09:14 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Tongue, easy peasy

Old 04-16-2021, 09:48 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Yeah, shouldn't be bad. I have not pulled off my propane tanks, but probably some day I will have to. A whole camper came up missing where I store my camper. I do pull the battery for winter, but leave it all summer.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:52 PM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Luckily I had pulled one propane tank (to refill it) and the battery before storing it last year, otherwise the thief that broke into our camper would have nabbed those too.

I'm with you and leave the battery all summer. I do pull the fuse to the furnace when we leave the camper so the carbon monoxide detector doesn't run the battery dead.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:23 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Our batteries are in a locked cabinet on the outside. I always disconnect the ground on the batteries when storing it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 82'Stepside
Luckily I had pulled one propane tank (to refill it) and the battery before storing it last year, otherwise the thief that broke into our camper would have nabbed those too.

I'm with you and leave the battery all summer. I do pull the fuse to the furnace when we leave the camper so the carbon monoxide detector doesn't run the battery dead.

We have a throw switch that kills all electrical to the inside of the camper in the back side of a cabinet, only allowing the electric jack to have power while its in storage. Its really handy. I wonder if other campers have this feature? If not, maybe it wouldn't be difficult to install one.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
We have a throw switch that kills all electrical to the inside of the camper in the back side of a cabinet, only allowing the electric jack to have power while its in storage. Its really handy. I wonder if other campers have this feature? If not, maybe it wouldn't be difficult to install one.
That's an awesome option! Unfortunately ours is a basic-medium optioned camper so we don't have a ton of features. I'm alright with just yanking the heat system's fuse for now since we come back every weekend, but I'll do some thinking on that for future upgrades.

Opening weekend in the camper went pretty well. We felt really prepared until we showed up and immediately figured out about 5+ things we need to bring for next time. The water heater was spewing from the overflow valve so we couldn't use that all weekend. It had been spitting and sputtering here and there for a couple years now but it looks like it finally died off. Put in an Amazon order this morning for a new valve, spare drain plugs, and special tools to remove both items. I'll be ready to go for all future water heater repairs now

Old 04-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Do you use a water pressure regulator from the hydrant? I feel it should be built into the camper, rather than something you have to purchase, but we have ours attached to our water filter. Unfortunately that means that taking a shower is a lot like having someone pee on ya, while you struggle to try and get some soap out of your eyes. (we need a new shower head I think)

Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
Used mine this weekend-- thought i blew out the whole 12v system-- but there was something pressing on the breaker-- I could move just a smidge and turn the lights on and off with just a wiggle of my tushy!

Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Do you use a water pressure regulator from the hydrant? I feel it should be built into the camper, rather than something you have to purchase, but we have ours attached to our water filter. Unfortunately that means that taking a shower is a lot like having someone pee on ya, while you struggle to try and get some soap out of your eyes. (we need a new shower head I think)
We didn't up until last year when I added one to our hose's water filter, just like you did. The spot we stay at all summer doesn't have water though, so we fill the fresh water tank before we setup and don't actually hook the system up directly to the hydrant. We're hoping that our favorite spot over in Cottonwood that has water opens up next year, they're still doing road and infrastructure repair from the 2019 flood

I would HIGHLY suggest swapping out your shower head for this unit:
Amazon Amazon

Our showers use to be pretty miserable in the camper, but now they're almost comparable to our shower at home with only swapping to the new unit. Only took a few minutes to install too, couldn't imagine being without it now.

I also suggest upgrading to a digital thermostat, this is the one I installed last year but I'm not sure it's directly compatible with your setup:
Amazon Amazon

We used to have the old mercury type thermostat that would swing temps pretty wildly but the new one keeps it within a couple degrees. It's nice to see what the actual temperature read-out is too on the digital display.

Last edited by 82'Stepside; 04-20-2021 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Flip4ford
Used mine this weekend-- thought i blew out the whole 12v system-- but there was something pressing on the breaker-- I could move just a smidge and turn the lights on and off with just a wiggle of my tushy!
Did you heater keep it toasty in there? We ran our oil-filled electric heater most the weekend and the main propane unit only ran a few times.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
We camped out a few weekends ago, and at night I had a small electrical/ceramic heater running. That was enough to keep the camper very toasty. I also had the thermostat for the heater on heat, and it did kick on a time or two each night, mostly in the early morning when it was starting to get light out.

I sent the link to the wife to have her order the shower head, but we have a digital thermostat, that works well. I need to order a new heat rod to use electric heat rather than furnace heat.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:06 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
my little heater does just fine-- it is actually the one they put in larger campers so i have no issues there :-)

Quick Reply: Camper