AOD and 8.8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There-in lies my confusion. They swear 89 Town Car, because when they carted it out i was like "whoa there fellas, thats entirely too many wires". But it has the two piece input shaft i thought. Guess im an idiot, because i never thought to look for a part number. It is in fact, a '98 4R70W. F7 PN on trans, but the tsb sticker and the other sticker both show F8 numbers, and specifically say 4R70W.

Now.... What is a used 4R70W worth? I only gave $150 for this thing, i can exchange for the right one for $0, or i can buy another (right one) for $150. Long term plan is coyote and 4R70W... So if a buck-fitty is a good deal, ill just get another.

Feel pretty dumb not thinking to check a part number, but had alot goin on at the moment and they were busy and about to close. Regardless, when i go back E8, E9, F0, F1, and less wires lol

Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if you were confused as to what an AOD's two input shaft setup looks like. It has two concentric input shafts. The inner shaft is the direct drive shaft, it skips the torque converter's turbine. The outer shaft is the turbine shaft, it has torque converter action 100%. And then around all that, is the stator support.
If you looked quickly at a regular single-input shaft trans, you might have counted the stator support (wrongly) as a second input shaft.

I would return the trans for the correct one. There are a bunch of issues here...
The 4R70W that they mistakenly gave you could be EITHER a Small Block Ford bolt pattern, OR a modular engine pattern (4.6L, 5.4L). Vehicles like a 1998 Explorer with the 302 used the SBF 4R70W. A vehicle with a 4.6L or 5.4L would have used the modular-patterned 4R70W (except *).

And what pattern does the Coyote use? Modular pattern? A new pattern? I don't know.

(*) Then there is the 1991 Town Car... Which used the brand-new 4.6L, but the matching new electrically-shifted AOD-E trans wasn't ready yet, so they cast the special one-year-only 4.6L modular "B*stard Blocks", that had a SBF pattern, so they could use the existing mechanical AOD.
For 1992, the AOD-E was ready, and the 1992 4.6L went to modular bolt pattern.

So I'm pointing out that all this stuff doesn't mix-and-match!

I don't think I would want to buy a trans that supposedly worked fine, with some sort of short-term warranty on it, and then not use it for a long while. 2 years later if I installed it, and it doesn't work, I doubt they would exchange it for another one.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:04 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Thanks for all the help torky. I would have the 4R70 gone through before it went behind the 5.0, but there are probably better year / model transmissions than a seemingly random one. Pattern looks right, unless mod is very similar to sbf.

Ill check the pattern, then go from there. I don't suppose one of the stickers or the PN will tell me what it came out of?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
if it's a 97 or 98, there's a better than even chance that it will be from a modular. the f150's were using modulars, as well as every RWD car I can think of.

the only outlier still using a SBF in those years I can think of is the explorer.

if you are wanting to use it behind a coyote, you will need a modular pattern. if you are looking for one to go behind your SBF, this probably isn't going to be the one, unless It came out of a v8 explorer.

hindsight being 20/20 I shouldn't have traded in my 2000 explorer for $500! I should have kept it and salvaged the driveline and PCM for a fox body swap..... hands down the best drivetrain combo I've ever driven - just dead-nuts reliable and plenty of power.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Well, that's what im thinkin. Keep hold of the thing for the coyote. Will measure the bellhousing tonight and let that decide. There are ALOT of things that need to happen in the meantime however, but whats one more thing to take up space lol.

Another thing I thought of, I know you can put the wide ratio gearset in the AOD (from the 4r70w). Can you keep the lockup function if you do this, or do you have to go to a solid input shaft? Not that I really need the shorter first, just an idea im kickin around. I DO whant to keep the lockup though, im aware of the limitations in doing so. This little 302 will never be hot enough to hurt the AOD.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
It is the modular bell housing. 3 starter bolts, no dowel pin above starter, and only one bolt hole.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:50 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Hey guys, just an update, got a 92 AOD. Looked good inside when i installed the trango HP kit, and it even has the A servo. Its now in the car. I ran into some trouble with my ranger 8.8. The housing is offset, which i knew, but the 8" was not (thought they all were). So i picked up an explorer axle, a 98 with 122k from the same outfit i got my GT40P's from. Going to shorten the drivers side, and use another passenger axle. This one however, calls for synthetic 75w-140 gear oil. Is there any reason it needs to have synthetic go back in? I can think of a dozen reasons why the factory used synthetic, so they tagged it in order to not mix oils. That said, i cant think of any why conventional wont work for me just fine now. A: Traction loks only last 20-30k, B: I have conventional, and sythetic is $$$, C: will probably put a true track in it down the road, long before i get the use out of the synthetic. Im thinking the OEM used syn simply to lower operating cost and maintenance by "never having to be replaced"

Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 PM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that tag says "PKE-X" like I think it does then that's 1998 Ford Crown Victoria 4R70W. Pretty sure it is also a "three bolt starter" case not suitable for retrofit to a small block V8 even if you did buy the Baumann computer/controller to make it work.