1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Strange electrical issue on 92 conversion van

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 PM
James Hogan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange electrical issue on 92 conversion van

Earlier today I had a new Alpine radio with bluetooth, thumb drive, Cd/Mp3, FM, Sirius XM, features professionally installed in my 92 van. All the wiring was soldered and shrunk wrapped.

Prior to the installation the van always started with no problem.

When the tech finished the installation, the van started right up and I started home. Radio plays like a dream. I noticed that I was running low on gas and pulled into a gas station.

After fueling up, I turned the ignition key on and...nothing. Didn't turn over and wouldn't start. A good hearted soul came over to help me but jiggling the gear shift, trying to start it in neutral and a couple of other thing that we tried couldn't get the van to start. Finally he got under the van and jumped the starter and it started.

I drove it home and let it run for about an hour to charge the battery (which is nearly new) and then turned it off.

Then I tried to start it again but it wouldn't turn over (and I couldn't hear the bendix engage) and it wouldn't start.

Anyone care to suggest what to try next?

Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try tapping the starter before starting, if it starts your starter is in need of replacement. Had this happen twice on my 93. If that doesn't do it check the grounds. Or, contact the shop that did the install, they touched it last!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Double post??? I thought you just want to make sure someone seen your post

Agree with the tapping the starter, that's the first step.

2nd step would be to jump the starter solenoid, jumping the 2 posts with a screwdriver, Make Sure the tranny is in Park, and the Parking brake is set, and the Key Off before you do this. That by-passes the ignition switch and directs battery power to the starter to see if the starter is the real problem.

You already bypassed the NSS with moving the shiftier to Neutral.

If no results from above, check the battery cables, if you still have the crimped on OEM lead connectors, the copper cable corrodes inside the connector, and you loose contact. Some times just wiggling the cables can find the problem real fast, and if you get power back to start, replace the cable/batter connectors, cutting back the black/corroded copper.

My 2 cents is on the battery connectors.......new audio system, more power draw, 25 year old copper cables, lead connectors........yup.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:26 PM
James Hogan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Double post??? I thought you just want to make sure someone seen your post

Agree with the tapping the starter, that's the first step.

2nd step would be to jump the starter solenoid, jumping the 2 posts with a screwdriver, Make Sure the tranny is in Park, and the Parking brake is set, and the Key Off before you do this. That by-passes the ignition switch and directs battery power to the starter to see if the starter is the real problem.

You already bypassed the NSS with moving the shiftier to Neutral.

If no results from above, check the battery cables, if you still have the crimped on OEM lead connectors, the copper cable corrodes inside the connector, and you loose contact. Some times just wiggling the cables can find the problem real fast, and if you get power back to start, replace the cable/batter connectors, cutting back the black/corroded copper.

My 2 cents is on the battery connectors.......new audio system, more power draw, 25 year old copper cables, lead connectors........yup.
So today I went out to the van and turned off the radion which should have reduced the amperage draw. Then I tired to start it. Nothing,except the amp light on the dash lit up (as it had before) along with the check engine light. I was kinda in a hurry and gussied up and didn't want to get too dirty, so I let it go.

Haven't tried tapping on the starter yet, but I will. This thing about the radio drawing all those amps is worrying me. The guy who did the installation is obviously a pro's pro, with trophies and magazine write-ups and was highly recommended to me.

The starter is about 15 years old and needs to be replaced, if on nothing but general principle. So I'll do that anyway.

The battery and the cables are much newer and I'm a nitpicker about battery connections. They are very clean.

So I'll try to do some of the other things suggested, Meanwhile, if anyone has a better idea...

Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A radio shouldn't be able to "draw all those amps". You say he is a pro and soldered and used heat shrink. However, a pro would have used an adapter kit that plugged into the vans OEM plugs unless someone had previously cut off the vans radio plug. He may have inadvertently cut or tapped into the wrong wire. My dad taught me years ago, a professional just means that a person does something for a living, it doesn't mean they do it right. There is also the chance that it is a coincidence. The fact that the good Samaritan was able to climb under the van and jump the starter, points to the starter being good. My guess it's something to do with your ignition switch or it's wiring. If I recall, the amp light and check engine light are supposed to come on briefly when you start the vehicle.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:31 PM
James Hogan
Junior User
Originally Posted by EagleFreek
A radio shouldn't be able to "draw all those amps". You say he is a pro and soldered and used heat shrink. However, a pro would have used an adapter kit that plugged into the vans OEM plugs unless someone had previously cut off the vans radio plug. He may have inadvertently cut or tapped into the wrong wire. My dad taught me years ago, a professional just means that a person does something for a living, it doesn't mean they do it right. There is also the chance that it is a coincidence. The fact that the good Samaritan was able to climb under the van and jump the starter, points to the starter being good. My guess it's something to do with your ignition switch or it's wiring. If I recall, the amp light and check engine light are supposed to come on briefly when you start the vehicle.
What you say about "pros" is probably true. The reason he soldered and heat-shrunk the connections is that the socket on the new radio wasn't compatible with the OEM plug.

This van requires the left turn signal too be turned on before starting (a theft-prevention feature I'm told). I talked to the tech today and he's going to come by tomorrow to take a look at it. He also thinks the wiring may be an issue and is willing to repair any miscut/loose wiring.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know what you find out but my money is on the solenoid on the inner fender.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 PM
James Hogan
Junior User
The mechanic said that the starter had "locked up." Now it has a new starter and a new starter relay (solenoid) and she's running great. Also had the differential and the transmission serviced, along with 4 heavy-duty Monroe shocks installed. Plus the front brakes were shot, so they were replaced. That goes with a new R134-a A/C system and a new paint job. Will post some photos when I get a little further along. Thanks for everyone's help.