1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming start on integrated key

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
Programming start on integrated key

Purchased a key from ebay like the ones pictured. Long story short, after much struggle I've gotten it programmed to manually start the truck and to lock/unlock with the buttons.
I have yet to program the remote start button. The information that I've found so far says to locate the remote start system override button to begin programming it to start the truck.
I installed the Ford remote start unit myself along with the VSS (vehicle security module). I have remote start working via a cell phone app. The vehicle security appears to be working as it should.
There is no override or any other buttons on the RMST unit. Only an LED indicator light.
The ebay vendor's listing states that the key can be self programmed. So far they've been unresponsive to my questions. Everything I've done so far has been with the help of Larry (Just Strokin) or Google.
Am I overlooking something? Is there another way besides paying my dealer $50 again to hook it up to their IDS to program this key?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The RMST is NOT the cellular access module. The RMU is the cellular module. The RMST is remote start via a fob.

Did you have steps 51 to 53 in the instructions perform by a dealer? Or use FORScan to turn on Remote Start?

Just for chits and giggles, can you perform step 54 or 55 in the instructions depending on your IPC display and report back on this thread? Or post a photo?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Apparently I have my terminology mixed up. I didn't have "convenience" in my menu choices on the Productivity Screen, but I did manage to find remote start settings.
It did have "enabled" checked and I was able to set the duration on it.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
I said 54 or 55 depending on your IPC display. If you have the display, then you use 55 not 54 as it appears you did.

I would suggest contacting the seller on eBay and request a refund if you can not get the keys to program or they can not tell you how to do it.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I said 54 or 55 depending on your IPC display. If you have the display, then you use 55 not 54 as it appears you did.

I would suggest contacting the seller on eBay and request a refund if you can not get the keys to program or they can not tell you how to do it.
I've contacted them via their website inquiry page, via email and via ebay message. No reply. The old "all operators are busy" message came across on their phone assistance number. A word to those who may be contemplating remote start via the integrated key: be wary of seller keylessking on ebay. Of course I'll retract the statement if they decide to do the right thing.
I think ebay gives them 7 days. After that I'll open up a case.
In the meantime the other remotes from you should be here today. You've already sent me the instructions on programming those.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Purchased a key from ebay like the ones pictured. Long story short, after much struggle I've gotten it programmed to manually start the truck and to lock/unlock with the buttons.
I have yet to program the remote start button. The information that I've found so far says to locate the remote start system override button to begin programming it to start the truck.
I installed the Ford remote start unit myself along with the VSS (vehicle security module). I have remote start working via a cell phone app. The vehicle security appears to be working as it should.
There is no override or any other buttons on the RMST unit. Only an LED indicator light.
The ebay vendor's listing states that the key can be self programmed. So far they've been unresponsive to my questions. Everything I've done so far has been with the help of Larry (Just Strokin) or Google.
Am I overlooking something? Is there another way besides paying my dealer $50 again to hook it up to their IDS to program this key?
Apparently I have my terminology mixed up. I didn't have "convenience" in my menu choices on the Productivity Screen, but I did manage to find remote start settings.
It did have "enabled" checked and I was able to set the duration on it.
Ok from what I gather, you already have remote start activated on the truck, as you found the menu options in the Driver's Information Display and it is currently enabled.

Also you have the scalable system up and running and functioning normally.

This means you have a hood switch, and an RFR antenna plugged into the TPMS. Otherwise if you didn't, none of the other functions would work.

So..... there's nothing left to do other than cut and program the keys. The instructions you should be following are the exact same instructions for programming a spare key. They are as follows:

- Have 2 original keys (or currently programmed keys)
- Have the new key you wish to program already cut and ready to go
- Insert the first original key into the ignition and turn to the run position
- Count 3 long Mississippi's, then remove the key
- Within 10 seconds insert the second original key and repeat
- Within 10 seconds, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition and turn to the run position
- Again count 3 long Mississippi's before removing the new key

Doors will lock and then unlock to confirm programming. Repeat all steps to program an additional key.

Now the issue here is you said the new keys are already programmed and will start the truck, as well as lock and unlock. This means the keys are technically programmed and the remote start function should already be working on the new keys. Have you tried on the new keys pressing lock, then double pressing the 2X button for remote start? What happens when you try that?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Pocket
Ok from what I gather, you already have remote start activated on the truck, as you found the menu options in the Driver's Information Display and it is currently enabled.

Also you have the scalable system up and running and functioning normally.

This means you have a hood switch, and an RFR antenna plugged into the TPMS. Otherwise if you didn't, none of the other functions would work.

So..... there's nothing left to do other than cut and program the keys. The instructions you should be following are the exact same instructions for programming a spare key. They are as follows:

- Have 2 original keys (or currently programmed keys)
- Have the new key you wish to program already cut and ready to go
- Insert the first original key into the ignition and turn to the run position
- Count 3 long Mississippi's, then remove the key
- Within 10 seconds insert the second original key and repeat
- Within 10 seconds, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition and turn to the run position
- Again count 3 long Mississippi's before removing the new key

Doors will lock and then unlock to confirm programming. Repeat all steps to program an additional key.

Now the issue here is you said the new keys are already programmed and will start the truck, as well as lock and unlock. This means the keys are technically programmed and the remote start function should already be working on the new keys. Have you tried on the new keys pressing lock, then double pressing the 2X button for remote start? What happens when you try that?
Yes, I installed the VSS and RMU modules myself. Along with both the TPMS antenna and the RMST upgrade antenna.
I had my dealer plug it into their IDS and activate remote starting. At that time I did not yet have an integrated key, a fob, or the upgrade antenna. But I did have the TPMS antenna and the truck would remote start with the iPhone app.
I tried the procedure that you posted, several times. A message appears in the productivity screen during this procedure that says the key did not program, yet the manual start and lock/unlock functions are working on that key.
Today I received a couple of bidirectional key fobs from Larry. Had them programmed and starting the truck in seconds.
After seeing your post I went straight out to the garage and did as you said. Locked the truck with the integrated key. Hit start button 2 times. Nothing doing. Frustrating but not the end of the world.
Update: The seller has finally responded through ebay after I initiated a refund request. They requested the vehicle year/make/model and the FCC ID number of the current keys. I popped a cover off of one key and found the number and relayed it to them. Now I wait to see if they can do anything with the information. I've held off on feedback until I see how it turns out.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
OK Pocket and Larry, now I'm baffled but happy. I initially went out to the garage and tried Pocket's suggestion of locking it with the integrated key and then trying to start it. As stated, nothing happened.
10 or 15 minutes later I go out, give it another shot and the truck started. Twice in a row.
Spoke too soon. Now there's nothing again. I even replaced the battery on the off chance that it shipped with a weak one.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Twice in a row.
Spoke too soon. Now there's nothing again.
You get two remote starts per key cycle.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
You get two remote starts per key cycle.
How long do you wait in between? I went out this morning after the truck sat in the garage all night. I locked it with the fob and then tried to start. Nothing. On the second attempt it started.
I've seen old posts on the forum where guys had this hit & miss trouble, but no solutions. Oh well. At least the fobs I bought from Larry are working as they should.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
How long do you wait in between? I went out this morning after the truck sat in the garage all night. I locked it with the fob and then tried to start. Nothing. On the second attempt it started.
I've seen old posts on the forum where guys had this hit & miss trouble, but no solutions. Oh well. At least the fobs I bought from Larry are working as they should.
It should work every time.

However, I have 4 keys for my truck, one of them has been dropped so many times that you have to really press the buttons hard to get it to work.

Or then there's the almost non-existent range of the keys.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
It should work every time.

However, I have 4 keys for my truck, one of them has been dropped so many times that you have to really press the buttons hard to get it to work.

Or then there's the almost non-existent range of the keys.
I suspected the range might not be great with the key. Looks like another learning experience to pass on to others if they attempt this self install.
Glad I bought those 2 fobs from Larry. They're working just fine.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:45 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I lost one of the two OEM keys with the remote buttons on them.. What is the cheapest way to replace one that will start the truck from the inside ignition switch ?
I would keep i for a spare inside the truck in case I lost my other working key.. and needed to run the truck until replacements?.. I would love to have the spare key work like OEM with remote and door lock/unlock functions but from what I read seems to be expensive etc.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
From Ford, 75 plus. Not sure about after market or chinese keys as to how well they work. you can check the price on ebay of maybe amazon. Strattec/Ford/Rotunda pn is 164-R8067.

you will need two keys to program a new key, FORScan, dealer or locksmith if you only have one key.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...R8067&_sacat=0

Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM
96_F250_Deezal
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the reason I bought a Factory/OEM remote start kit with OEM keys. I have heard too many horror stories with the aftermarket/china key fobs

Quick Reply: Programming start on integrated key