Dealer Installed Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck Prep

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're really solid on buying the trailer, talk to the seller about a modest/reasonable non-refundable holding deposit. Discuss conditions, like it being contingent on no undisclosed material defects etc. That is assuming this is a situation where you WILL be buying the trailer barring any glaring defects. Its done with aircraft quite a bit.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I did this same exact thing when buying a used Montana High Country 313RE last year from a couple in Wisconsin when we live in Georgia. We sent them an agreed upon $500 check that he would hold and give back to me at the time of purchase if everything was as they said it was on the trailer. If we decided that the trailer was not right for us (we knew it was though) the $500 was theirs to keep for their troubles. If there was something wrong with the trailer or it was not as advertised, we reclaimed the $500 and either renegotiated the price or walked away.

The deal went well, we traveled 1000 miles and the deal went as planned. We looked for this trailer for about a year and were willing to drive up there to get it.

Have a conversation with the seller over the phone and then send the details of the deposit over email so that you both have them in writing for future reference if required.

Also, pictures are a must here on FTE, we love to see pictures of the trailer, truck, etc...

Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
I am about to order my 2017 f350 and saw the issues with ordering a 4x2 and the fifth wheel prep. I have decided to go the 4x4 route because then I can order the factory option for fifth wheel prep. I feel it is worth the money and I get 4x4 although I probably don't need it in normal operation.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian
I am about to order my 2017 f350 and saw the issues with ordering a 4x2 and the fifth wheel prep. I have decided to go the 4x4 route because then I can order the factory option for fifth wheel prep. I feel it is worth the money and I get 4x4 although I probably don't need it in normal operation.
I've had to use 4 low to negotiate a muddy hill in a campground. Better to have it just in case. The fifth wheel prep package is worth it!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
that is why I will go with the factory fifth wheel prep and add 4x4 to get it. I am not seeking to go off road but it could be useful. Also the factory fifth wheel prep option seems to be really strong with extra ribs under the box. It just seems like an easy decision for me.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
always get the 4 x 4 option. It is always handy.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
If you're really solid on buying the trailer, talk to the seller about a modest/reasonable non-refundable holding deposit. Discuss conditions, like it being contingent on no undisclosed material defects etc. That is assuming this is a situation where you WILL be buying the trailer barring any glaring defects. Its done with aircraft quite a bit.
Unfortunately, the trailer sold to another buyer within hours of the you suggesting this. Used trailers of the make and model we are looking for are rare and his asking price was extremely reasonable. Hopeful another good deal on another used one comes along before we give up and buy a new one.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rheingar
Ken's Paridise Hitch and Welding is willing to install the OEM hitch prep. I am going to order the prep package tomorrow. Hopefully we can get this done before the fifth wheel we want is sold.
The hitch prep kit came in. Now we are waiting for Nichols Manufacturing and Welding Services to ship us the camera/TPMS harness and metal box for plug so we can mount the 7-pin/12-pin plug in bed. Once we have the harness and box we will schedule a date for Ken's to install everything.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Good listener
Senior User
that is why I will go with the factory fifth wheel prep and add 4x4 to get it. I am not seeking to go off road but it could be useful. Also the factory fifth wheel prep option seems to be really strong with extra ribs under the box. It just seems like an easy decision for me.
If you need a hitch, consider asking the dealer to sell you a Ford branded Reese at thier cost. The Ford hitches are covered under the vehicle warranty and if you have a problem with it, they replace them. The dealer does not repair hitches.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
The part used for the factory fifth wheel prep is exactly the same as the fifth wheel prep you can order through Ford Accessories.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 PM
danr1707
Senior User
I wonder what the reason is for Ford not offering the factory option on the 4x2 ?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 PM
estadnik
New User
Caution on 5th Wheel Hitch install!!

Be aware that in many states, if you install, (or have installed) a 5th wheel hitch that requires drilling into the frame, (which many aftermarket hitch installs do) then you run the risk of having your trucks title designated as "frame damaged". So, when you go to re-sell or trade-in this of can significantly affect the trade-in/ re-sale value! I learned this the hard way with my first 5th wheel hauler. Many manufacturers have a bolt on alternative - but realize you will need to periodically re-check the torque under the truck. Better to wait the extra time for the factory set-up. Yes, it is a Reese-type pin connector, but if you don't have a Reese brand, you can typically get adaptors for your brand. I have a Demco Auto-slide (which works great on my SD short-bed) and when I got my new truck, I simply had to have Demco send me new adaptor side plates and pins. Now, removing or installing the hitch is a snap!

Old 03-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by estadnik
Be aware that in many states, if you install, (or have installed) a 5th wheel hitch that requires drilling into the frame, (which many aftermarket hitch installs do) then you run the risk of having your trucks title designated as "frame damaged". So, when you go to re-sell or trade-in this of can significantly affect the trade-in/ re-sale value! I learned this the hard way with my first 5th wheel hauler. Many manufacturers have a bolt on alternative - but realize you will need to periodically re-check the torque under the truck. Better to wait the extra time for the factory set-up. Yes, it is a Reese-type pin connector, but if you don't have a Reese brand, you can typically get adaptors for your brand. I have a Demco Auto-slide (which works great on my SD short-bed) and when I got my new truck, I simply had to have Demco send me new adaptor side plates and pins. Now, removing or installing the hitch is a snap!
We didn't have the choice to get a factory set-up. The fifth wheel/gooseneck prep package is not available on the 4x2 2017 Super Duty. It is only a dealer installed option (if you can find a dealer that will do it) on the 4x2 2017 Super Duty.

The fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kit sold on the Ford accessory site is the exact same part as they use for the 4x4 2017 Super Duty. The only drilling required to install the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kit is 5 holes in the bed. The part that attaches to the frame bolts into pre-existing holes.

The Reese kit, when it becomes available for the 2017 Super Duty, will bolt onto the frame using the same pre-existing holes the frame as the Ford kit uses. The Reese kit can be installed with or without the gooseneck.

We are using an B&W companion with OEM legs.

Here is the finished install

Pucks

B&W Companion

7/12 pin Plug

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any dealership that has a body shop is supposed to be able to install that kit. Not all dealerships have body shops.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by thomabb
Any dealership that has a body shop is supposed to be able to install that kit. Not all dealerships have body shops.
The body shops at Ford dealers were just a oblivious about installing the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kit as dealerships without body shops. Dealerships kept referring me to truck accessory stores, but they would only install the Reese kit which is not available yet for the 2017, or a proprietary kit (B&W turnover ball, Pullrite, etc). I ended up driving 1 1/2 to a hitch shop that was willing to install the kit if I provided the kit.

Quick Reply: Dealer Installed Fifth Wheel/Gooseneck Prep