Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

If it were you

Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 AM
scozim
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were you

So, I'm coming into some money from a closed retirement account and have been given permission to finally get a new (to me pickup). I last had a '96 F350 CC long bed which I absolutely loved but had to sell in 2005 when our family grew to large for it and the 5th wheel I had.

So, now the debate in my mind starts. I've had two 6.8l V10 gassers - 2001 E350 and it towed beautifully and my current 04 Four Winds Class C motorhome. Again, love the motor in that application.

However, deep down I really want a diesel. I've dismissed the 6.4l and the 6.7l as problematic and out of budget, respectively. There's a lot of 6.0's out there (06-07 models) in the low $20's with less than 100k miles. But, again, there's that reputation of the 6.0's. It seems it's a crapshoot but the more stock the engine is the less potential for early catastrophic problems. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

So, that brings me to the 7.3l which is what I really want. Problem is these are now 15-20 yrs old (96-97 is my favorite body style) so I have some concerns there. Plus owners and dealers seem to be asking stupid money for a lot of these - even with 200+k miles on the truck.

If you were looking at 7.3l's what would you focus on and what years? The only problem I had with my '96 was blown o-rings that pumped oil all over the bottom and back of the truck. Hindsight is I shouldn't have gotten rid of it - but that's the way life goes sometimes.

Help me ease my mind that getting a 7.3l pickup that's this old is not a bad investment because, after all, I have to convince my wife it is.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Any truck in our era is going to need maintenance done to it unless you can find that one which the previous owner has kept up all of it relgiously. The 7.3 is an excellent engine but they are all approaching two decades old and finding one that has been loved its entire life is proving harder and harder. Sure, there are some out there and if you really want one and are willing to wait until it comes along, you could have a truck that would last you a very long time as long as you are wiling to maintain it.

Just from reading of your '96 OBS, the oil leak was probably just an HPO line or the turbo o-rings that failed which are both easy fixes. If you have to pay someone every time it needs repair you better have deep pockets. It has been said that a lot of so called mechanics were still in grade school when these trucks were built. That being said, finding a good knowledgable mechanic that you can trust to work on these trucks is also getting harder to find. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and most of the problems these trucks have has been addressed at some point in time. If you do decide to go with the 7.3 superduty, my advice is wait for the right one and be willing to learn about it and spend some money on it to keep it on the road.

Not trying to talk you out of purchasing one, just helping you wrap your head around the fact that you are probably not going to buy a truck that all you have to do is drive it for the next ten years.

PS: you will know it is the right one when you can't stop looking at it. Six years later, I still smile every time I see the old boy.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:57 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
I would go with a 6.4 and just be diligent on the maintenance. I have both, 7.3 and 6.4.

The 7.3 has a quarter million miles on it and it's my right hand. The 6.4 is it's one day replacement and currently my wife drives it and loves it.

If you do lean into a 6.4 and are in a non emission testing state, the DPF and EGR deletes will make it very reliable for many years if cared for properly. You really can't beat the comfort they provide comparatively.

The 7.3's out there hold they're value if properly adulted and that's why they are still expensive. Reasonable prices are out there for them and I would definitely be looking for a southern truck in all cases.

Have fun with it.

Denny

Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 PM
scozim
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Any truck in our era is going to need maintenance done to it unless you can find that one which the previous owner has kept up all of it relgiously. The 7.3 is an excellent engine but they are all approaching two decades old and finding one that has been loved its entire life is proving harder and harder. Sure, there are some out there and if you really want one and are willing to wait until it comes along, you could have a truck that would last you a very long time as long as you are wiling to maintain it.

Just from reading of your '96 OBS, the oil leak was probably just an HPO line or the turbo o-rings that failed which are both easy fixes. If you have to pay someone every time it needs repair you better have deep pockets. It has been said that a lot of so called mechanics were still in grade school when these trucks were built. That being said, finding a good knowledgable mechanic that you can trust to work on these trucks is also getting harder to find. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and most of the problems these trucks have has been addressed at some point in time. If you do decide to go with the 7.3 superduty, my advice is wait for the right one and be willing to learn about it and spend some money on it to keep it on the road.

Not trying to talk you out of purchasing one, just helping you wrap your head around the fact that you are probably not going to buy a truck that all you have to do is drive it for the next ten years.

PS: you will know it is the right one when you can't stop looking at it. Six years later, I still smile every time I see the old boy.
I'm definitely aware of the issues of maintenance that would need to be done on an older truck especially front suspension, transmission (potentially) and regular engine maintenance. There's definitely a risk of buying the 7.3 as there is with any used truck for that matter.

That said, I'm also not the most mechanically inclined which is a downfall for sure. Maybe it's the allure of a diesel, especially 7.3l. It's not that I'm willing to learn to fix things, it's just that there is not a lot of confidence in my brain for handling things other than basic repairs.

The ideal is clearly the babied, grandpa truck. I don't plan on much for mods and towing won't begin for a few years when I get a covered car hauler and start the 65 Falcon to some shows much further from home.

Thanks for the thoughts

Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM
scozim
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
I would go with a 6.4 and just be diligent on the maintenance. I have both, 7.3 and 6.4.

The 7.3 has a quarter million miles on it and it's my right hand. The 6.4 is it's one day replacement and currently my wife drives it and loves it.

If you do lean into a 6.4 and are in a non emission testing state, the DPF and EGR deletes will make it very reliable for many years if cared for properly. You really can't beat the comfort they provide comparatively.

The 7.3's out there hold they're value if properly adulted and that's why they are still expensive. Reasonable prices are out there for them and I would definitely be looking for a southern truck in all cases.

Have fun with it.

Denny
Thanks Denny.

Guess I was under the impression the 6.4's had more issues than just the DPF and EGR. It's easy enough to take care of those two problems - saw a gorgeous black F350 CC yesterday with the 6.4l. I live in a rural area of the state with no emissions testing.

When you talk about cared for properly do you mean following a severe use maintenance schedule and doing things more frequently?

Scott

Old 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main negitive that I have heard about the 6.4 is that they like to stop at gas stations - alot!

Old 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM
scozim
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
The main negitive that I have heard about the 6.4 is that they like to stop at gas stations - alot!
So does a V10 - no difference there. My '96 7.3 was getting about 16 mpg on the highway which I wasn't too disappointed with.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L for sale round the corner from me, red looks beautifully maintaned, big bull bar on the front - everything else looks stock. he's asking 14k 320,000 recon you could haggle - La Marque Texas

Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Scott, Jump over to the 6.4 page and check it out. Sure the trucks are newer but more were built and if you do the scale thing. It's a pretty slim forum for problems. Granted they don't get the mileage before the deletes but will afterward.

They have bedbugs like any motel, but a very good maintenance schedule will lean out most common failures.

I find that the lazy folks who complain a lot about the trucks don't spend time to even wash them.

I wouldn't look away at one. They are awesome trucks compared to 7.3's and are completely a new learning curve as such. They are a little overwhelming in the structure of everyone else's tales of failure but when the last period is dropped in any sentence...........It points directly at neglect or abuse either from the PO or the rattler.

Clean oil, check the aft filter for water monthly (10 seconds on an already installed valve from factory) oil changes by the book and rock and roll.

Denny

Old 02-05-2017, 07:08 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
I have an 02 crew cab as for the engine it's needed 4-5 sensors and o rings (turbo, h-pop fuel bowl rebuild all east stuff) like previous posters said finding a real deal mechanic is the hard part. As for the rest of the truck I joke with my friends it's almost done being rebuilt lol including the transmission I have personally replaced over 1000 pounds of parts on this truck Previous owner did take care of it just didn't always buy the best parts or know what a torque wrench was I found out down the line. It's been a great truck just have to be ready for the work.
Also have a f450 08 western hauler full delete picked it up with 100,000 miles deleted it a week later the heat kills the motors injecting an additional 7/8ths of fuel durning re gen. Only work done batteries, alternator, torn intercooler boot and crack in exhaust manifold( part 200 labor 1150) It's a powerhouse usually drive with max 10 percent throttle in level 2 tune. The turning radius is AMAZING also a plus when driving/hauling on back roads. It's a beauty but at the end of the day money goes a lot farther for these 7.3s. Labor times on the 6.4 are very high.

also maintence is no joke on these 6.4s so sensitive the manuel says drain the fuel filter at every fill up lol I pass on that one but it goes to show the potential sensitivities of this motor. Fresh filters and fluids help the pumps and rest of the truck go the distance.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You wouldn't be able to fix the 6.4L (or the 6.7L) even if you had the confidence and the skills... it requires a body lift to do specific chores on the engine. I don't know exactly what they are, but the need for a body lift stops me dead cold from the new trucks. At least with the 7.3L, you have the option to recruit advice and/or help and get things done.

The 7.3L doesn't lay down great gobs O grunt the way every subsequent Ford diesel does, but it just keeps driving - even when unhappy. I have had plenty of malfunctions far from home (due to my own incompetence), but the truck just won't freaking stop. From what I hear, if a hair is out of place - the 6.X trucks have a sit-down protest. The only 7.3L I've ever seen on the side of the road was for a flat - I can't say that about the sixers.

I may be biased or I may not have enough exposure to the diesel masses, but I can share what I've experienced.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
I was in the same boat as the OP 6 months ago. I debated hard about the 6.Xs vs a 7.3. In the end, I picked up a cherry low mile 7.3 and while its not a rocket ship, it gets the job done and I can work on it

Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Every time I follow one of these posts I think the best thing I can do is put my 7.3 up on block and watch it appreciate in value.

Steve

Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 AM
scozim
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Every time I follow one of these posts I think the best thing I can do is put my 7.3 up on block and watch it appreciate in value.

Steve
Wouldn't blame you for that. In 2004 I paid $14k for my really nice 96 F350 CC with 94k miles, they were starting to appreciate then. Now, I see that price listed for 96/97's with over 180k miles. Doesn't mean they're getting that - but it's definitely been interesting to follow these prices, especially here in the Pacific Northwest

Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,438 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I bought a 7.3 over a 6.X for all of the reasons that Tugly (Rich) mentioned. Also, I have about $15,000 into my truck total now and it runs very, very well and pulls our 5th wheel trailer up mountain grades just fine. It does not have 900 ft lbs of torque, but I really don't need that because when you get that high in power only headaches come with it.

I let the boys play their horse power numbers while the rest of us sit back and enjoy the truck and the lifestyle that comes with the 7.3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If it were you