6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Sync 3 in a 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:28 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the Sync 2 and I did pull the trigger for the Sync 3 (look back through the thread).

The way I look at it, that about $18,000 less than a 2017 truck....

It's not going to be the same decision for everyone, but I was constantly annoyed by Sync 2. Now the only thing I miss from a 2017 is the keyless ignition. Probably harder to add that though. And the 2017 (or 2016 F150) steering wheel switch gear. But I'm working on the latter.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
texinwa
Senior User
I have the Sync 3 system from my 2015 in the for sale section if anybody is interested.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I realize that this thread is a couple years old but am resurrecting it as on Monday I ordered the 4D kit for my 2013. Wanted to give a plug for 4D, like I always do, researched the heck out of this before pulling the trigger, must have asked them 50 questions. They were extremely responsive and willing to help. They do have these things in stock now, ordered on Monday and it delivered today. Same cost, I went with the NAV system, this way there will be no regrets later, WTH is $600.00 anyway. One of the things I like about 4D is their kits replace the connectors in the center compartment with USB connectors as SYNC 3 does away with the Audio / Video connections.

Swarf_rat, I'm going to try this myself, I'm scared to death about pulling the plastic crap off the dash. You mention "The hardest part is getting the two plastic insets out of the way (without breaking them)". Any tips on how to do this without breaking them? I figured if I'm paying over 2 grand, what's another $15.00 for the "plastic trim removal tools". Hoping that will help. Any other gotchas that you can remember from when you did yours?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
i am wondering how one updates the GPS maps on Sync 3. Sync 3 in my parents 2016 Escape does not use the SD card for maps. The last time I checked, no one seems to know how the maps will be updated.

Sync 3 in many of the latest production vehicle models allows you to do remote start via cellphone using FordPass. Not sure what changes are required to make this happen on the earlier versions of Sync 3 such as the 2016 Escape or 2017 Super Duty come with.
For those with Sync 3, the only way to get an update will be to go to a dealer, purchase the update, and have the dealer install the software using Electronic Field Communication (EFC). The newest map version will be EFC 06376

Old 02-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Thanks Larry, I think I may be able to get through step 1 without breaking the clips, Step 3 is what has me trembling.

Also wanted to correct something I mentioned in post 33, Infotainment also supplies the Android USB hub as well.

I plan on giving this a shot on Saturday, watched a couple videos, looks pretty straight forward.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Let us know how the install goes. I'm planning to do this upgrade as well. I have Sync 3 in my 2017 Mustang and I REALLY like the Waze/Android Auto integration. With Android Auto, I'll never care about upgrading the NAV software.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:47 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Actually the big panel is not difficult or dangerous as I recall. It is the two little panels in step one that are tricky. I believe I took pictures of them at the time thinking I ought to write it up, I'll see if I can find them.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Well can't find any pictures. The plastic catches are pretty aggressive on those little things and not quite where you think. I just kept worrying them until I got them out. Then the screws and the big panel is straightforward. Once you get inside it's easy. If you have the Nav, you will get another GPS antenna because Sync 3 has it inside rather than outside the unit. You hide this under the dash somewhere, but it may be worth firing it up to make sure you are getting a good signal before you button it up. There is a key sequence on the Sync 3 unit (I forget what but it's easy to Google). Enter it, and you get a diagnostic facility including GPS satellite strength.

Here ya go:

Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Well the SYNC 3 is in. It took all of 45 minutes which included some cleaning. One of the easiest installs I've done. Check 4D's or Infotainments install video. Don't spend the $15.00 on the plastic, trim removal tools. I got the 2 plastic pieces Larry posted in post 34 with my fingernail, the front fascia pulled right off no problem. I did permanently route a USB cable from one of the USB ports from the top dash tray behind the fascia out the bottom of the fascia by the 12v lighter port. While going to SYNC 3 from SYNC 2 is like going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10, for some reason Ford decided that they wouldn't go with "wireless CarPlay". Not sure if Android Auto is wireless, if not, you might consider doing this as I can't see me getting into the truck and not connecting my phone. As someone else posted, the only thing I don't like is with iPhone when you connect the phone it turns the map on the display to crApple Maps. If crApple Maps isn't running on your phone the Nav area on the display is blank. Guessing it was a compromise between Ford and Apple for the integration.

This upgrade is so easy and integrates with the truck so seamlessly, if you can afford it, there is no reason at all not to do it. I think this mod ranks a close 2nd to the Titan 50 gallon direct replacement fuel tank.

Swarf, thanks for posting the diags, I think I'll run my SYNC 3 through them.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
With the latest updates on iOS, Google Maps is now a CarPlay enabled app. So you don't have to run the Apple maps. Unfortunately, the version of Google maps that runs isn't the same as what runs on the iOS screen and isn't very good, leaving the Sync 3 navi still the best choice IMO. But try it and see what you think.

I've not regretted the upgrade to Sync 3 for even one second. Your analogy (W3.1 -> W10) isn't quite right. Sync 2 is a Microsoft product, Sync 3 is Linux (Blackberry version) so it flushes Microsoft completely which is always a good thing.

Now one bug. Whenever the Sync 3 connects to an iPhone, it turns the ringer volume up to full. You can even catch it in the act momentarily right after it connects. My truck does it, my wife's Escape does it. We've reported it as a bug to Ford. They've done nothing. This would be.a simple fix - just don't mess with the volumes, there is no reason to.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 AM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a thread about this and exactly what's needed here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-you-help.html

I have a couple of Sync 3 units here, one with NAV and one without, that I would be willing to program and sell to someone if they wanted one. You'd just need the USB interface module, GPS antenna and the power connector for the USB to install them and I've got the part numbers for those in the thread above.