Sponsored by: Moser

Headlight aiming problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 PM
LIL LU
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight aiming problem

I have tried adjusters Dorman 42186 and they worked on the right headlight. On the left headlight they did not work .
The Dorman 42186 bends and pulls through by the time the left headlight is aimed correctly. I did notice the adjuster mount holes are rectangle on the right side headlight and the adjuster mount holes are square on the left side headlight. I have looked at several years of dentsides all use the 42186 adjuster from what I am finding.
I have also tried the china made universal adjuster Dorman 42117 they are too small and slip through for the left headlight. Any other part numbers or ideas here will help

Old 01-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Daveycracky
Senior User
I just upgraded my headlights to halogens and a headlight relay harness. In the process, I accidentally fiddled with the aiming screws because I'm a retard. Nonetheless, re-aiming was easy and intuitive with the factory adjustment screws. What am I missing, and what problem am I about to have to deal with that requires an aftermarket kit?

Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 AM
LIL LU
Junior User
I am not clear why the right and left brackets that hold the headlight buckets have different shaped holes for adjusters this truck had the original ford adjusters on both headlights..the new Dorman replacements wouldn't hold up on the left side, I salvaged the original ford steel clip but used new nylon part and got one adjuster to hold on the left side..has to be another version of adjuster out there. it's a real headache for as simple as it should be.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 AM
Daveycracky
Senior User
I'm confused and intrigued as well. While my truck took the first blow in the learning process, I did the same on my lady's Mustang. Her eyeballs are all over the place, and tomorrow's,chore to fix.

Did you remove the adjustment screws and maybe tried to put the retaining screws in holes meant for aiming screws? A reassemly foible?

Old 01-28-2017, 10:09 AM
LIL LU
Junior User
Originally Posted by Daveycracky
I'm confused and intrigued as well. While my truck took the first blow in the learning process, I did the same on my lady's Mustang. Her eyeballs are all over the place, and tomorrow's,chore to fix.

Did you remove the adjustment screws and maybe tried to put the retaining screws in holes meant for aiming screws? A reassemly foible?
No, they are in the same place as the originals I took out, they do not use the small bolts to hold the aimer brackets in. I am thinking maybe inferior Dorman replacement part not strong enough as the old aimer cage worked with a new nylon part inside it.
. I may have to take the grille off and put the bolt on aimers in there are presently no small holes for the aimer brackets to bolt on

Old 01-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Daveycracky
Senior User
I think I need to get some of those. Switching the aimer cages back to their correct sides did wonders to my walleyed headlights, but adjustments with the original screws did nothing.

Dental hook was a massive frustration saver.

Original adjustment screws, to be replaced I'm figuring.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Daveycracky
Senior User
I like the solid ones you put up, but ripping the face off will have to wait till I get back home in a few months. I'll be able to get that rust and a few other needed upkeep items taken care of too. For now the aiming is no worse than it was before I started.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
LIL LU
Junior User
Originally Posted by Daveycracky

Did you remove the adjustment screws and maybe tried to put the retaining screws in holes meant for aiming screws? A reassembly foible?
Ok, I had one aimer like your original aimer on my right side light. Your adjuster holes are square like the left side headlight on my truck. Is that original aimer available and what year is that Mustang?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Daveycracky
Senior User
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...1966/p/HW3013/

It's a '65. Looks like a cheap and easy fix. For me anyway, won't need to pull the whole grille.