2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,581 Likes on 839 Posts
Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Forgive me if this has been covered already but I am getting some conflicting information. I have a '17 250 SD Lariat diesel with the factory brake controller. My current trailer is a 24'gooseneck with electric drum brakes. This works fine with my truck. I ordered a new PJ gooseneck with 2 7000# Dexter torsion axles w/ electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Does anyone have any experience with this setup as I am planning on a long trip right after I take delivery of this trailer? Thank you very much.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll work fine, you'll just need to adjust the controller, probably will need less power.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Yup, it will work just fine. You'll need to add the trailer in your instrument cluster menu, and set the brake type as electric over hydraulic. See page 117 of your owner's guide for more info.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,581 Likes on 839 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I am glad the factory controller will suffice. I hate to have to add things to a new truck.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:02 PM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On my 2015 work truck I had to select the trailer type. Electric over hydraulic or just plain electric. The electric over hydraulic was labeled as EOH under trailer type. I have not connected a trailer to my 17 but it says no trailer connected every time I try to look at the trailer selections.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 AM
AllGoNShow
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EOH is available on the 17 as mentioned, you will likely love it. My 48ft has EOH and they are very responsive and integrate nicely with the factory controller doing its job.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:30 PM
txcbc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After ordering every towing options Ford had, my turck did not come with the fuse installed to power the positive side of the 7 wire plug. Even after taking it to the dealer and finding that the fuse was not installed, I still do not have 12V to the positive outlet of the 7 wire plug. I have all lights, but zero brakes. I have BrakeRite SD EOH brakes on two trailers and the truck will not see either. Press the brake pedal, no trailer brakes. Use the manual controls on the brake control, "Trailer Disconneted" message. No problem with either tralier on my 2015 F-350. ?????

Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM
K A M
Senior User
Originally Posted by txcbc
After ordering every towing options Ford had, my turck did not come with the fuse installed to power the positive side of the 7 wire plug. Even after taking it to the dealer and finding that the fuse was not installed, I still do not have 12V to the positive outlet of the 7 wire plug. I have all lights, but zero brakes. I have BrakeRite SD EOH brakes on two trailers and the truck will not see either. Press the brake pedal, no trailer brakes. Use the manual controls on the brake control, "Trailer Disconneted" message. No problem with either tralier on my 2015 F-350. ?????
Check your setting on that trailer to see if your settings are correct. You may have it set for a trailer without electric brakes.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by txcbc
There is no fuse to supply +12v to that pin, it's switched by the "Smart trailer tow connector". This silly piece of technology senses electrical draw and switches the circuit off when it doesn't sense enough load through the lighting circuits. Do your trailers use LED lights?

I had a similar problem trying to power a hitch-mounted wheelchair lift. Had to get one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/48347244

It adds additional load to the lighting circuits, which increases current, which is enough for the module to figure out that there's a trailer back there and switch on the power.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 AM
K A M
Senior User
With just about all trailers coming with LED for years you would think that they thought of that. So now I have a truck that I can't hook everyone's trailer to because the hooks won't fit and now I will need a adaptor also because they might have led lights. That engineer that was assigned to the trailering program needs to be reassigned to hauling a trailer. Give him a credit card, truck and big trailer tell him hit the road and don't come back until you put 50,000 miles on it then redesign this crap

Old 02-14-2017, 07:40 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Yup, it will work just fine. You'll need to add the trailer in your instrument cluster menu, and set the brake type as electric over hydraulic. See page 117 of your owner's guide for more info.
Did something change on the 17's ?

On the prior years changing the "stored trailer" does not change the gain and brake type, eg electric or electric over hydraulic.

That said, there has been more then one occasion in the last 6 years that I forgot to switch brake types and I really didn't notice the difference.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
There is no fuse to supply +12v to that pin, it's switched by the "Smart trailer tow connector". This silly piece of technology senses electrical draw and switches the circuit off when it doesn't sense enough load through the lighting circuits. Do your trailers use LED lights?

I had a similar problem trying to power a hitch-mounted wheelchair lift. Had to get one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/48347244

It adds additional load to the lighting circuits, which increases current, which is enough for the module to figure out that there's a trailer back there and switch on the power.
How would the "smart trailer tow connector" sense an electrical draw if you have the lights off?

I know that whatever switches the blinker from 3 to 5 blinks needs the trailer to have brakes, and it can be fooled by putting a bulb on the brake activation circuit.

Same with the menu showing you the attached trailer and trailer mileage.

My addition to get 5 blinks

Old 02-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by porthole
How would the "smart trailer tow connector" sense an electrical draw if you have the lights off?
I can't find anything specific to the Super Duty or F150, but this is from the Transit Body Equipment Mounting Manual:

The Trailer Tow Module (TTM) can support pure
LED trailer lights as long as each circuit exceeds
500mA, below this and the system will not detect
a trailer has been connected and shuts down all
outputs (sleep mode). It is recommended to
target a 550mA minimum load to allow for
system tolerances. This would need to be
obtained with a supplemental load resistor, if the
LED lighting circuits are below this threshold.
A higher current is interpreted as short circuit. If a
short circuit is detected the related output will be
switched off. The following table shows the
recommended output maximums per circuit.
My F150 behaved the exact same way, and I believe the system is similar.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:46 PM
txcbc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a boat trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes (EOH) and they will not work with my 2017 F350. Worked perfect with my 2011 & 2015.
I have researched this forum for hours, made two trips to the dealer, found and installed the missing fuses/relays, added, deleted and added trailer numerous times. Pulled the trailer, put it in drive and then park, etc, etc, etc. Tried every trick that I have read. Still no power to the 12v charging pin on the seven pin connector.

Tested brakes with an older Ford that had an after market brake controller. They worked perfect, so not an issue with the brakes.

Brake controller works great with straight electric brakes. Better than previous trucks due to being able to set power from low to high. No complaints there.

Titan BrakeRite SD EOH brakes require a constant 12v power supply to run the brake control module. Braking effect is controlled by variable voltage through the brake controller. Not sure about other EOH brakes.

I am at wits end. Dealer says truck has to "see" trailer. Truck shows trailer connected. They have no service bulletins about the issue. First time they have "seen it".

Beyond the brakes, no power to charge the battery on my RV or the battery that runs the pump for the ramps on my gooseneck flatbed.

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Does anyone know of a solution?
3. Is there a Ford rep that monitors this site that can offer a solution?

I am either going to have an after market brake controller installed or run a hot wire direct from the battery to the 12v charging pin.

Ford screwed the pooch on this one. Why does the charging pin need to see anything to work?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 AM
K A M
Senior User
Txcbc
When your setting up your boat trailer did you select the "EOH" Electric Over Hydraulic then another setting is for gain amount (may not be worded properly) Lite, Medium, Heavy. Then the amount of gain needed. These setting are all in the towing set up settings. Hope it's just something you missed and nothing wrong with your truck.

Quick Reply: Factory Trailer Brake Controller