2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust

Googled a lot of searches and always came up with something being deleted. Im
assuming if you straight pipe these trucks it voids a warranty? Or the whole warranty?

I was was looking at mbrp exhaust because I love that turbo Whistle sound. Just curious if it's obtainable without harming the warranty?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In order to install an exhaust you will need to tune the truck and your powertrain warranty will be voided for sure. Manufacturers may also blame problems that have no relationship to tuning on the tuner.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
Googled a lot of searches and always came up with something being deleted. Im
assuming if you straight pipe these trucks it voids a warranty? Or the whole warranty?

I was was looking at mbrp exhaust because I love that turbo Whistle sound. Just curious if it's obtainable without harming the warranty?
It would be Ford's burden to prove that your exhaust caused a failure. However, I don't recommend removing emissions systems from these trucks unless you are out of warranty.

Also, I'm pretty sure a post DPF/SCR muffler change would be fine. Deleting anything would definitely void its warranty, and could have ramifications on your power train.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by homeschool74
It would be Ford's burden to prove that your exhaust caused a failure. However, I don't recommend removing emissions systems from these trucks unless you are out of warranty.

Also, I'm pretty sure a post DPF/SCR muffler change would be fine. Deleting anything would definitely void its warranty, and could have ramifications on your power train.
Changing muffler should be fine but it might hurt the actual power of the engine but probably only a little bit that you won't notice. These engines are tuned with the system they come with in mind. If you change air flow in/out then to achieve the best results you should tune the engine for the new system.

Also it won't be ford's burden to prove anything, it will be yours. Ford will tell you too bad and you will have to prove what you did didn't make whatever went bad go bad. To them it is a simple yes or no to warranty stuff and they aren't going to think twice if they say no because you changed something that effects the engine and you have engine issues. You will be fighting Ford for the warranty work.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Changing the muffler will do very little to nothing at all to the exhaust note, you have to take off the DPF to get a better exhaust sound and as of right now I don't believe there is a DPF delete tune out for the 2017 yet.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 AM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
Changing muffler should be fine but it might hurt the actual power of the engine but probably only a little bit that you won't notice. These engines are tuned with the system they come with in mind. If you change air flow in/out then to achieve the best results you should tune the engine for the new system.

Also it won't be ford's burden to prove anything, it will be yours. Ford will tell you too bad and you will have to prove what you did didn't make whatever went bad go bad. To them it is a simple yes or no to warranty stuff and they aren't going to think twice if they say no because you changed something that effects the engine and you have engine issues. You will be fighting Ford for the warranty work.
According to the law, the auto manufacturer has to prove that the aftermarket parts causedepartment the failure, otherwise they could say an silly filter causes your power steering to die.

That being said, while unlikely, if your turbo dies after you remove the exhaust system, it's a pretty safe bet Ford will rightfully deny your claim. I will not be deleting anything from my truck, as alimony getting ESP.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
If you remove the DPF, expect that your warranty WILL be voided on the entire engine, exhaust, and emissions system. Likely the transmission and many other parts too. Sure, Ford has to prove it, but are you going to take them to court? Are you going to step in front of a judge and say "yes, I violated federal law and removed my DPF, but that didn't cause this failure" and risk a much higher fine than the cost to repair your truck? Doubtful as that would be financial suicide.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM
MagneticTiger
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
If you remove the DPF, expect that your warranty WILL be voided on the entire engine, exhaust, and emissions system. Likely the transmission and many other parts too. Sure, Ford has to prove it, but are you going to take them to court? Are you going to step in front of a judge and say "yes, I violated federal law and removed my DPF, but that didn't cause this failure" and risk a much higher fine than the cost to repair your truck? Doubtful as that would be financial suicide.
Accurate and valid. That's why I'm not doing anything to mine, and I think it's foolish to do it at all!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 AM
cayenne
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
In order to install an exhaust you will need to tune the truck and your powertrain warranty will be voided for sure. Manufacturers may also blame problems that have no relationship to tuning on the tuner.

I don't know that I would go that far... To reap the full benefits of any exhaust change, sure you need to tune it, but you don't have to. Magnaflow already has systems out that are bolt on and I've talked to MBRP and they expect to release a system in 60-90 days.

I "think" the Magnaflow is leaving the DPF and is installed downstream of the DPF. I could be wrong though.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:34 AM
17STROKES
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that removing any of the emission system caused a CEL, therefore needing a tuner to turn it off. And that just removing and replacing the tail pipe would not have any effect on performance, so what be the point of that.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by homeschool74
According to the law, the auto manufacturer has to prove that the aftermarket parts causedepartment the failure, otherwise they could say an silly filter causes your power steering to die.

That being said, while unlikely, if your turbo dies after you remove the exhaust system, it's a pretty safe bet Ford will rightfully deny your claim. I will not be deleting anything from my truck, as alimony getting ESP.
I know the law says THEY have to prove that what you did caused the harm, but in reality it will be YOU proving that changing the muffler or whatever didn't cause the harm. Ford will just say too bad and forget about you in a few seconds. So it will be ultimately up to you to prove what you did didn't cause something to go bad.

Changing just the muffler and leaving everything else the same does ultimately cause the engine to behave different due to air flow out. Ford does have a good case of denying an engine warranty claim and it will be up to you to prove the muffler did not cause whatever to go wrong. Not using a Ford approved air filer could be enough for Ford to deny warranty.

Now, the likely hood of all of this warranty denial happening for a different air filter or muffler is pretty slim. You aren't doing anything major to the engine/drive train. I am still going to do what I want to the truck in the end and if one of these unlikely scenarios comes up, I will deal with it then.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 AM
cayenne
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 17STROKES
I thought that removing any of the emission system caused a CEL, therefore needing a tuner to turn it off. And that just removing and replacing the tail pipe would not have any effect on performance, so what be the point of that.

I need to go crawl under my truck and look, but its 5 degrees outside

I thought there was the DPF and then a secondary muffler downstream of the DPF that the Magnaflow was removing. I believe all of the O2 sensors are just upstream of this secondary muffler.