2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Bronco to Have a Solid Front Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
it will be exactly like all the posser suv mall crawlers you can buy. a 4 door Ford Explorer with a removable top. Im an old guy and I remember the original bronco how it was marketed and what it was about it was a cheap rugged, vehicle with no-frills You can even get it with no rear seat. like I said the opposite of what they’re going to sell us now.
Everything I've read suggests it will be RWD architecture based on the Ranger's driveline. Meaning absolutely nothing like the Explorer.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It will probably be quite a bit like the old FJ Cruiser in size, layout and configuration. Expect better visibility though.

The new new name of the game in off roading is called overlanding. Long highway stretches with off road camping destinations in between. I doubt lack of a straight axle up front will hurt sales. High prices will. There should be relatively plain XL models for those who want a 2nd or 3rd run around vehicle and for young buyers to entice them. I’ve put off buying a Jeep waiting for this thing. If they are $35k with zero options as a starting price, forget it. They need to start well below $30k.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Ford might do well to split the difference and find a way to offer ifs or sfa as an option... One vehicle, catering to both crowds. Could be a sales juggernaut.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 AM
JKBrad
I doubt Ford would want to crash test both variants. Now, the aftermarket could develop something like they did for Toyotas and late 80s/early 90s Chevy trucks. Most people just live with IFS these days.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I doubt Ford would want to crash test both variants. Now, the aftermarket could develop something like they did for Toyotas and late 80s/early 90s Chevy trucks. Most people just live with IFS these days.
IFS is the only realistic way for Ford to go. As for conversions, people rarely hack into new or newer vehicles which are under warranty, so for at least 5 years and 60k miles, it's unlikely that owners are gonna mess with the powertrain that much. A lift kit might not void your warranty, but a solid front axle conversion (which will require a giant lift and messing with a lot of systems) will likely be a problem. Are their solid axle kits for Colorados, Tacomas, 4Runners, Xterras, new Grand Cherokees, etc?

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread - wait, no, this entire Bronco 2020 Forum - is hysterical. Please, keep the wishful thinking vs. critical-cynical wild speculation coming! It's a blast reading the opinions, all of them uninformed and without the slightest basis on any semblance of fact. It will be so much fun to see what the retail product looks like next to each and every speculative assertion!

Even if you're right, at this point, you're doing nothing but guessing. Public mental masturbation at its finest.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 AM
JKBrad

Facts

The new Bronco will be based on the new Ranger platform. Body on frame, rear and four wheel drive.

The Ranger frame is IFS with a live rear axle on leaf springs.

The engine in the Ranger will be a 2.3 EB with a 10 speed auto.

Profile images suggest it will be boxy with a tailgate mounted spare.

Ford has released no technical specs or unclad images.

These things are known, so that’s not much. But it’s something.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
This thread - wait, no, this entire Bronco 2020 Forum - is hysterical. Please, keep the wishful thinking vs. critical-cynical wild speculation coming! It's a blast reading the opinions, all of them uninformed and without the slightest basis on any semblance of fact. It will be so much fun to see what the retail product looks like next to each and every speculative assertion!

Even if you're right, at this point, you're doing nothing but guessing. Public mental masturbation at its finest.
Since I became aware of cars and trucks and model years, I have discussed with people what future vehicles might be like. If you are not a fan of this kind of discussion, why visit the Bronco forum at all? Gearheads enjoy speculating about new vehicles in the same way that sports fans predict future game or season results. "Mental masturbation" is an insulting term for speculating on the future as we put together clues that Ford has dropped.

Perhaps you should just stay in the Excursion and 7.3 forums and discuss 2002 football results because you seem to be happier in the past

The Bronco will be what Ford makes it, and at that time I will see if I want to own one. There is no penalty if anyone's speculation has been wrong...

Old 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am eagerly awaiting to see what this thing looks like. If it slightly resembles the old broncos, then I will not be able to stop myself from giving Ford my money. I feel like they are going after the Jeep with this, which is something they should have done years ago. I hope they are able to keep the price point competitive, or it will alienate a lot of potential buyers and put more Jeeps on the road.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:09 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Since I became aware of cars and trucks and model years, I have discussed with people what future vehicles might be like. If you are not a fan of this kind of discussion, why visit the Bronco forum at all? Gearheads enjoy speculating about new vehicles in the same way that sports fans predict future game or season results. "Mental masturbation" is an insulting term for speculating on the future as we put together clues that Ford has dropped.

Perhaps you should just stay in the Excursion and 7.3 forums and discuss 2002 football results because you seem to be happier in the past

The Bronco will be what Ford makes it, and at that time I will see if I want to own one. There is no penalty if anyone's speculation has been wrong...
Why visit the Bronco forum at all? You must have missed the part where I said "hysterical... it's a blast... It will be so much fun to see..."

Trust me, I am thoroughly entertained - sitting here watching the future of the Bronco unfold right before my eyes!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Everything I've read suggests it will be RWD architecture based on the Ranger's driveline. Meaning absolutely nothing like the Explorer.
My point was Ford will repeat history and make this “new” Bronco just like they did the “old” Explorer by building it on the Ranger platform that’s how the Explorer started its life.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
The explorer is supposed to go back to RWD so there may be 3 vehicles sharing the same base platform.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What’s really going to be fun is after Ford finally releases all the information we can go back and look at these threads and see how far off or how on point people were with their predictions.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 PM
JKBrad
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The explorer is supposed to go back to RWD so there may be 3 vehicles sharing the same base platform.
The new Explorer/Aviator are RWD or AWD. The are on a new unibody platform and share nothing with the new Ranger.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:23 AM
me1234
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Ford messes this new Bronco up, I'm going to make it a weekend habit of driving to a different Ford dealer in my 1993 Eddie Bauer. I will wear a suit. My hair will be perfect. My shoes will shine. Checkbook will be in hand. When the salesperson comes out, offers me a test ride, maybe I'll take it, maybe I won't, depends on the day. I'll inquire about the options, visibly getting more upset if they say things like "no removable top", "no 2-door option", no solid front axle"(yes, I'm aware my 93 doesn't have a solid front axle)

When they ask me if I want to buy I'll say, "Sorry, you don't have anything in this entire dealership that can replace the Bronco I already have." I'll then walk up to my then 27 year old truck, open the cooler in the back, grab a Coke through a sea of Budweiser, hop in the driver's seat, and drive off the lot blasting Take It Easy.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Bronco to Have a Solid Front Axle?