6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF delete High Idle adventure.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
DPF delete High Idle adventure.

2008 F350 CC SRW lariat 6.4 bone stock.

Bought it 6 months ago. PO had the DPF done and it's paired with the DPF-R from Gearbox.

It Idles at around 950. It's my wifeys DD until My 7.3 is a memory.

I've only been in the saddle for the test drive and one road trip. Love it and one day it will be mine.........

Everything is "what not to love" except.........the idle puts enough torque down to make it a lunging monster between forward and reverse and you have to be sober, conscious and alert in close quarters. Uncomfortable in parking lots.

I have gleaned from forums that when the DPF is deleted that all 3 EGT sensors must be hooked up and either dangling with a wire tie and not placed back into the replacement pipe or the idle will be substantially higher.

Well, it is!! After crawling around under the truck, the first 2 sensors are plumbed back into the replacement pipe. The 3rd (rear) is missing and the female connector is still intact but the sensor is MIA.

Here's my question. I will be replacing the aft sensor. There is a port that is in the pipe.

Should I remove the forward 2 sensors and wire tie them up and out of the pipe. I will be buying and installing the 3rd (aft) sensor.

I guess to really bring this down to THE question, After all sensors are plugged into the harness, Do I install them in the replacement pipe or just wire tie them all up out of harms way and plug the ports in the pipe.

After talking to Gearbox (MFR) they only went as far as to say that the high idle is because of a missing or bad sensor but did not elaborate on whether they should be put back into the delete pipe.

They also said that my idle would drop back down to 6-650 after the procedure, which is what my goal is.

I know my 7.3 very well but this is new territory for me and am looking for insight?

Thanx for your attention and/or help!!

Denny

Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were me...quickest fix to try, is to replace the missing sensor....thread it in to the I'm assuming open bung in the pipe and fire it up and see what the idle is. I know some tuners...I think SCT...I could be wrong.....but they required all sensors connected and operational otherwise idle was high. I can't see it making any difference whether the sensors read the EGT or read ambient air temp under the truck.
Worse case scenario if idle is still high after new sensor is installed.....then ya go ahead and do extra work of removing sensors and plugging the open bungs in the delete pipe.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
I'll give it a shot and post back when it comes in.

Thanx,

Denny

Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Finally received the sensor.............Installed it in the open bung for the replacement pipe.

Shot the connections and dried them with electronics cleaner and plugged it into the fac harness above.

Started the truck. Wonderful.

Idles at 700-650ish.

It's absolutely a game changer. Liking "Her" truck more and more every day.

Thanx for all the help and input!!!

Highest regards,

Denny

Old 01-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each tuner has different requirement on sensors, or none. H&S Mini Max drops the three EGT and the DPF pressure sensors, they don't even need to be plugged in - they also disable the EGR functionality. That leaves the one EGT at the turbo.

This is an amazing motor once it starts to breath.