Help locating EVAP hose - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Help locating EVAP hose

Old 01-21-2017, 11:12 AM
gxtr
Junior User
gxtr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help locating EVAP hose

I've been having a problem with my V10 for a while now. Occasional hard start after driving, once had crank no start for 3 cycles, then started normally. Mostly just stumbles on start up only after being driven and then sitting for 30-60 minutes. If cold, it starts fine.

Anywho, I've changed a few fuel/EVAP related items, not really looking for help diagnosing right now as I may have just found my problem.

The EVAP vent solenoid on the charcoal canister by the power steering reservoir has a hose coming off the bottom of it. Well, I think it's supposed to have a hose anyway, mine has been cut off and I have absolutely no idea where it is supposed to go. A few weeks ago, I was at elevation and driving for hours, I came to a stop with engine idling and there was a horribly strong raw fuel smell coming from engine area. Obviously this solenoid has nowhere to vent except to the engine compartment right now, where is this hose supposed to go?

Please help, I can't find any listing for the hose anywhere online.

You can see the EVAP vent solenoid with the wire disconnected, the hose goes on the bottom port when it is mounted, you can see it closer where the hose is cut in the closer picture.

Attached Images    
Old 01-21-2017, 11:38 AM
gxtr
Junior User
gxtr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just had a friend with the same truck get back to me after he looked at his. He also has a cut hose just like mine, is this supposed to vent to atmosphere after going through the charcoal canister? Weird that it would have a hose on it at all then. The new part has a hose barb on the elbow that would make you think a hose is supposed to be securely on that elbow.

If this is supposed to vent to atmosphere, then I have another problem, why would I get a strong fuel smell from the engine area? I have replaced most if not all hoses and EVAP purge solenoid is new. I've done a smoke test, no leaks were found anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!