2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I expect a winner.... I mean it's a Ford that's a good start. Personally was a bit disappointed initially when I was informed that it'd be based off the Ranger and not the F150 but still interested. I'm bit surprised by some of you guys...you really think Ford won't make this thing capable offroad.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I expect a winner.... I mean it's a Ford that's a good start. Personally was a bit disappointed initially when I was informed that it'd be based off the Ranger and not the F150 but still interested. I'm bit surprised by some of you guys...you really think Ford won't make this thing capable offroad.
While the Gen 1 Bronco and the Raptor may be fine off-road trucks and a good base to build a real wheeling machine, the new Bronco, based on the new Ranger will not be fit to wheel. It will most likely share a chassis with the new Ranger, to satisfy the bean counters in Dearborn. As such, it will most likely have 4 doors and be more of a soccer mom SUV than a true trail truck.

The bean counters are banking on the Bronco nameplate will sell them. I say nay. Thanks, Ford but I'll keep looking for that Gen 1 Bronco that needs a bit of work to return to its former glory.

Bean counters ruin everything.

Last edited by raystankewitz; 01-20-2017 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Tipografikal airur
Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Pasta Prime
All I got to say is PLEASE FORD don't ruin this!!
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
ford will mess this one opportunity up by offering 4 door only. 4 doors = not a bronco.

It will be just some new, sad soccer mom SUV with a nameplate it doesn't deserve.
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
While the Gen 1 Bronco and the Raptor may be fine off-road trucks and a good base to build a real wheeling machine, the new Bronco, based on the new Ranger will not be fit to wheel. It will most likely share a chassis with the new Ranger, to satisfy the bean counters in Dearborn. As such, it will most likely have 4 doors and be more of a soccer mom SUV than a true trail truck.

The bean counters are banking on the Bronco nameplate will sell them. I say nay. Thanks, Ford but I'll keep looking for that Gen 1 Bronco that needs a bit of work to return to its former glory.

Bean counters ruin everything.
I'm as excited about this as the most enthusiastic Bronco owner but let's be honest here. Ford will mess this up. Oh it'll be pretty and comfy and all but it won't have the personality of it's namesake. As far as I'm concerned, Ford screwed the Bronco up when they went to the F-150 chassis. The Bronco that we all envision and cherish was lost forever. Probably too expensive to build as a stand alone chassis.

A two door option would be awesome but I'll wager that they'll sell in far fewer numbers. Just look at the Wranglers selling now, primarily 4 door versions.

Anyone remember the Taurus X? Ford had the most incredible opportunity to bring us a Subaru like vehicle with Subaru like reliability and capability and they sure missed the mark big time. Maybe that wasn't even their intention but it failed all around anyway.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It always blows me away with how many people get butthurt over reviving an old name. It's not 1985 anymore, and automotive technology has come a LONG way since then. Whatever form the Bronco takes, you can bet it'll fill a unique place in the lineup that we don't currently have. Whether you like or hate the name, everyone should be happy we have options.

I think this is a great idea...body-on-frame small SUVs are becoming quite rare nowadays.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I sincerely doubt that Ford will turn the Bronco into a typical soccer mom SUV. Heck, there are already 5 or 6 Ford SUV nameplates on the market now, and Ford plans to add 5 more in 3 years. Whether that means getting rid of a few of the repeat cars or not (I.E. Edge/Escape) Ford is too intelligent to add ANOTHER plain small-chassis on-road SUV to their lineup, especially with a name as sacred as Bronco. I once thought that it would look very similar to the Everest, but the Edge and Escape already look exactly like the Everest!

The incredible success of the Raptor will probably draw them to make a very capable off-road vehicle, probably very much like the gen1 Bronco in size. Being built alongside the Ranger most likely means sharing a chassis, which includes a very sturdy truck frame and drivetrain. Do you see that for the current small-chassis soccer mom SUVs the market offers?

I wouldn't go as far to say that it will be as much of an icon as it was in the past, or that it will be based on the F150 or Raptor, but it will be a special SUV. Ford realizes that if they screw this up, the amount of publicity from the Bronco enthusiast community that they have generated over the past 21 years, purely based on speculation, will be on their heads.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM
FoxFord33
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not?

Originally Posted by tseekins
I want a Bronco baaaaaad! But, i want it to be capable, comfortable and affordable. Yes, i'm asking for the world here and I deserve it!
And why not? The Broncos of yesteryear were all the things you said. I think, if they don't make them 1)affordable, 2)comfortable, and 3)capable, then Ford is doing it wrong...

Do you hear us, Ford???

Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 AM
FoxFord33
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I won't lie, I had some tears when I saw the shadow of the horse on the rock. A very emotional thing for me, since my last Bronco was taken from me in a head-on collision which also laid me up and hurt me permanently. I'm really excited, and I hope they do some retro styling a-la-recent Mustangs.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:40 AM
FoxFord33
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Subaru like reliability...
I have had a little second-hand experience with Subaru... Are you sure you want this kind of reliability? I mean, it's okay....but....Ford reliability might be a bit better, even in the current state.

The Bronco-lovers are, for the most part, not in touch with the reality of current Ford vehicles. They all remember (or own) an older version of the Bronco. And the way automobiles trend, it's usually the case that the new version leaves something to be desired when compared to the old version.

Realistically, we can expect that. But until more hard facts come out, I choose to dream reservedly...

Old 01-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Here's some more evidence, straight from the horse's mouth:

"First off, this won't be the full-size 4x4 we all remember from the OJ chase. Hinrichs confirmed that the 2020 Bronco will be built on the 2019 Ranger's frame. To recap, the Ranger that will return to the US market in 2019 will be largely based on the midsize pickup by the same name that's currently sold in Europe."

2020 Ford Bronco - Ranger-Based, Four-Door SUV

Hopefully this answers some questions too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fordranger/...cs&sh=4bf2eba6

Old 01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Christian's1988Ford
Here's some more evidence, straight from the horse's mouth:

"First off, this won't be the full-size 4x4 we all remember from the OJ chase. Hinrichs confirmed that the 2020 Bronco will be built on the 2019 Ranger's frame. To recap, the Ranger that will return to the US market in 2019 will be largely based on the midsize pickup by the same name that's currently sold in Europe."

2020 Ford Bronco - Ranger-Based, Four-Door SUV

Hopefully this answers some questions too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fordranger/...cs&sh=4bf2eba6
Great articles! I'd love to see a retro styled Bronco like the red one even if it had four doors. I'm good with that.

The outer skin doesn't define the vehicle anyway. Look at the Land Rover Discovery, it doesn't look like much but it's commonly known as one of the worlds most capable off roaders with a competent driver at the helm.

No matter what I've said, I'm stoked and I want one!!

Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Something Bronco fans (or fans of any car in general) complain about is that it won't return to what it was or should be. They complain that it should be smaller than the F-150, like it used to be, or it should be based on the F150, like it used to be. It should have a removable top, it should be strictly off-road, it should have a big engine, it should have smaller engines, etc, like it used to be.

Hold on a second, at what point was the Bronco an 'ideal' vehicle? Many seem to wish the new version will be like the 1st gen, which is sort of the image that pops up when you think of a Bronco. It was not an off-road vehicle by any means compared to today's standards. Then it was F150 based, and started getting bigger engines, and shared the same chassis. That still didn't make it specifically off-road from the factory. Everyone has the idea that it was always this incredible off-roader, and the new version will diminish that.

But in reality, it looks like this will be the best of all worlds. In terms of size, the next Bronco will be more like the 1st gen, smaller, and more compact than the current full-sized trucks. For those that's hate that it won't be as big as it used to be, that's completely untrue. According to a Reddit user that claims to be on the team creating the Ranger and Bronco, the Ranger will roughly be the size of the 10th gen F150, which was slightly bigger than the previous generation. The last generation of the Bronco was on the chassis of the 9th gen F150. The new Bronco will actually be slightly bigger than it was in its last form. Also, it's being branded as a true off roader, something that I don't believe has ever happened before.

So while everyone has this ideal image of what the Bronco 'should' be, it was really many different things. The only major features all generations of the Bronco shared were truck-like durability, the nameplate, and off-road capability. It seems like the new Bronco will have all of these, plus features from different Bronco generations that it can easily live up to.

I'll get down off my soapbox now! Go !

Old 01-20-2017, 03:55 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If nothing else this new bronco has me not thinking about a new Superduty

Old 01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ford will mess this one opportunity up by offering 4 door only. 4 doors = not a bronco.

It will be just some new, sad soccer mom SUV with a nameplate it doesn't deserve.
Here's what I don't get. This thing would likely end up an Explorer sized body on frame SUV as a 4-door. That is basically what the Everest is...
Nice, but not a Bronco....

I'm wondering if they won't offer a 2-door with the rear hinged back doors like the Toyota FJ had.....Either way, I don't know how a dealer is to sell a body on frame 4 door (Bronco) and a uni body Explorer that would compete against each other... Of course the Ranger will take sales from the F-150 as well as the competition...

Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
Here's what I don't get. This thing would likely end up an Explorer sized body on frame SUV as a 4-door. That is basically what the Everest is...
This has been done before. The Transit, Transit Connect, and now the Focus are all global designs. The Fusion is as well, but it's called the Mondeo everywhere else.

I don't see why they'd reinvent the wheel.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read this from a Road & Track editor:

"While some fans speculated that Ford could make a Bronco based on the upcoming 2017 Raptor, the Redditor says Ford will instead use the Ranger-based Everest for the new Bronco. Ford's Chief Technical Officer Raj Nair, however, contradicted that assertion. According to him, the new Bronco will be a unique vehicle, not a reworked Everest. Size-wise, he said expect something smaller than the Bronco II but bigger than the original Bronco. And if you're worried the new Bronco will be a glorified Explorer, don't be. He followed it up by saying "people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly, we have an idea of what a Bronco should be, and we're going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers."

Definitely gets me excited!! Hope it's true!

Quick Reply: Is it true?