6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help! Battery Draw Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM
d3r1k
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Battery Draw Problem

I have a 2003 F250, and I am having some trouble figuring out what is causing a draw on my batteries. I start with 2 fully charged batteries at 12.7-8 volts, both disconnected. When I hook them up and recheck the voltage it is at 12.3 volts (almost instantly) and dropping slowly. I thought it might be the GPCM but disconnecting that didn't fix it. So I hooked up the batteries and started pulling fuses. I pulled #19 (body security module/4x4) and my battery voltage started climbing. Let it sit for 30 mins or so and it was up to 12.68ish. I thought that was it but wanted to go thru all the fuses so I kept pulling and when I got to #35 (instrument cluster) it did the same thing, Voltage was at 12.3 and then started climbing to 12.68. After pulling fuse #35, fuse #19 no longer effects the battery voltage. It is just the instrument cluster fuse that is causing the problem. That fuse controls the instrument cluster, radio, interior lights and maybe something else I cant remember. With the fuse in and watching the voltmeter I closed the door and waited for the dome lights to go off. As soon as they did the voltage started climbing. So I think I got it narrowed down to the interior lamps relay??? I don't know where that is tho to try and replace it. Also, I don't understand why the body security module fuse looked to be the problem but now it fine.

If anyone has any thoughts on where that relay is located or if that is even my problem I would appreciate it. I've tried going to the Ford dealer but they didn't have a clue.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Those modules stay "awake" for a period of time and if the door is open, even longer. After about 15 minutes or so they " go to sleep" and will draw minimal to no power until you open the door again.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget about exterior bed lights .

Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM
SparkyAl
Junior User
Also check your glove box or "hidden compartment" lights if you have them, they have been known to stay on if the latch is slightly out of adjustment. Check at night and see if there is any light showing through the cracks or just pull the bulbs and see if the draw goes away.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM
d3r1k
New User
Something is broke somewhere. I first discovered the problem after having a battery tender jr plugged in for a few weeks. I checked the voltage after removing it and it was at 12.3ish. I don't know what would draw that much juice... It happens instantly too, its not a slow draw down like if lights were left on or something.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Call Circuit Board Medics. They are a sponsor here, maybe they could help answer the question. One light pulls an amp, how about the hood lamp when you open the hood?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric seat control ? Maybe the switch is stuck , a freind of mine had his stuck from the dog

Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Wally f350
Freshman User
dang! im having the same issue! changed the alternator, ground wire, the glow plygs & harness (both sides) last to do is the gpcm...if that dont do it ..gonna have to go to the local stealership!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Glow plug control modules have been known to “keep the lights on”. Unplug overnight and see I’d the issue goes away.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Wally f350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Glow plug control modules have been known to “keep the lights on”. Unplug overnight and see I’d the issue goes away.
thanks man! yeah im gonna wait for the ford oem GPCM to come in to change it out, but hopefully thats it! i have a P0113 code...so im hoping that new module cures my battery drain & clears the last code! ive changed all the sensors & other items...ill post results soon!

Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
I don't think a GPCM issue would cause a P0113 code.

Have you inspected the Mass Air Flow sensor and wiring?

Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Your right Mark, not a GPCM code.

I’m not sure if his ‘04 has two IAT or the second is embedded with the MAF, when it is its 6 wire. History says it can be the wires too with the dual purpose MAF since they are usually handled poorly during removal.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
When working electrical issues concerning a key off draw, I’ve figured out if you open the hood you can monitor the underhood light to determine when everything has gone to sleep. I’ve timed mine and it’s 10-25min. Not always the same amount of time, I would have though it was on a simple timer but apparently it’s more complicated than that. I’m confident though if the hood is up and the light has turned off, everything is asleep. Also voltage is a fair indicator of draw over time but amps are more accurate. There is a generic list of mA draw for many of the common modules and circuits that can be helpful if you know the draw value on your truck.

On most modern vehicles it’s hard to do a parasitic draw test because when you hook up the meter it completes the power circuit and some of the modules “wake up”. On our trucks it’s easier, attach the DMM on it’s highest scale (10 amp is ok, 20 is better) to one battery, in series. It will be accurate on the positive or negative side but the negative is safer. Once that circuit is established, unhook one of the posts of the other battery and read the meter. As I said above, if you interrupt power to the truck, even for a second, and reconnected it the underhood light will come on and you’ll have to let it go back to sleep and start over.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

A voltmeter, or DMM is often discussed with parasitic draw problems, along with a whole series of diagnostic videos.

A voltmeter is one tool, measuring pressure to use that analogy. But while a voltmeter is is many people’s tool box, a simple but cheap clamp-on ammeter is not. And many times a clamp-on ammeter can be the best tool for hunting down parasitic draws. For me it’s an unmentioned $50 tool.

I realize electrics seem to be confusing to many, but the analogy of water or hydraulic plumbing, while most sparkies cringe, is a good way to think of the situation. A clamp-on meter placed on the 4ga cable from the drivers battery to the CJB would have told if the direction of flow was towards the cabin, alleviating pulling the dash apart or PCM harness. If it’s not the main 4ga to the CJB, the 4ga cable off the passenger battery would be checked next, as it connects to the alternator and the GPCM. With that cable, it splits to either of those components and can be traced.

If towards the dash, then it gets somewhat complicated due to the open door influence, but that may or may not be a factor. Pulling fuses, closing door, and rechecking amp flow to the drivers side 4ga can then be used to diagnose without pulling everything apart.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Wally f350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bismic
I don't think a GPCM issue would cause a P0113 code.
Have you inspected the Mass Air Flow sensor and wiring?
yeah
i didnt think it would be the GPCM, but the wires & harness are good and i replaced the MAF with a new OEM ford part, so just thinking that maybe the GPCM could affect something down the "wire"

Quick Reply: Help! Battery Draw Problem