2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Top retractable covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:06 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 347Flatty
Does the paragon cover flop around and make noise while driving in the open position or is there a way to tie it together tight when not in use?
If you wrap the strap around it when its fully open it will not rattle, but the strap would need to go around it. You can also partially open the cover but its not as easy to do (it requires you manually picking up one of the panels so that the rollers bypass the drop down). It is by far one of the less expensive solutions and if you give them a call they can walk you thru it. Also if you search for Peragon on the forum you will see someone who has installed one recently (on a 2017).

Based on your requirements of not covering the window when fully opened, easy to remove, and great support Peragon does very well. As to partially open they do not do as well (it can be done but its not an easy feature for it). As to working with a 5th wheel from what I have read it works just fine, even with the short bed. You do have to wrap the strap around to keep it from rattling.
For the partially open then a retractable is likely a better bet - in my research if your looking for 10 years you're going to have to spend a few dollars (actually a lot) more to get a good one.

I researched a LONG time on this and you hit most of the points I had... My only challenge with the Peragon was that when I put camping gear in then the cover is harder to open if something slides under the back 2ft of the cover (if it goes under the ramp that the cover slides on). Once you can pull the item which is in the path out its smooth sailing. The roll-up doesn't have this issue, but then they are more of a permanent mount option.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollapm
If you wrap the strap around it when its fully open it will not rattle, but the strap would need to go around it. You can also partially open the cover but its not as easy to do (it requires you manually picking up one of the panels so that the rollers bypass the drop down). It is by far one of the less expensive solutions and if you give them a call they can walk you thru it. Also if you search for Peragon on the forum you will see someone who has installed one recently (on a 2017).

Based on your requirements of not covering the window when fully opened, easy to remove, and great support Peragon does very well. As to partially open they do not do as well (it can be done but its not an easy feature for it). As to working with a 5th wheel from what I have read it works just fine, even with the short bed. You do have to wrap the strap around to keep it from rattling.
For the partially open then a retractable is likely a better bet - in my research if your looking for 10 years you're going to have to spend a few dollars (actually a lot) more to get a good one.

I researched a LONG time on this and you hit most of the points I had... My only challenge with the Peragon was that when I put camping gear in then the cover is harder to open if something slides under the back 2ft of the cover (if it goes under the ramp that the cover slides on). Once you can pull the item which is in the path out its smooth sailing. The roll-up doesn't have this issue, but then they are more of a permanent mount option.
I think this sounds like a very good option for me. Maybe if you put a storage bar of some sort on the front end of the bed to keep stuff from sliding all the way forward?

What are some good options for the pricier rollup versions? I may be able to get cost plus 10 on something from a friend if I know what I'm looking for. Does ford make anything decent for this?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:36 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A cheaper solution is a LITERIDER ROLL-UP TONNEAU COVER. This uses aluminum rails fixed to the box sides, has a good warranty. It rolls up and is strapped down, perfect for over 5th wheel, keeps box and contents dry. Not super secure but I lock up valuables in the tool box underneath. I had one on my 2005 for 12 years and it worked well. I just bought a new one for my 2017 LB F350. <$400 Canadian funds and lasted really well for me last time. If I am hauling big stuff, just roll up, then put back. NEver took the rails off the side of the box once in 12 years.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After researching retractable aluminum covers I recently installed a Retrax Pro MX on my 2017 F350 4x4 8' foot bed. IMO its the best aluminum retractable cover out there design wise.

1. The aluminum slats are fairly thick and rigid. The aluminum front cover if anything was overkill in thickness its stout. Being an 8' bed model there's a bit of weight to the cover. That front cover attaches to the front/top of the canister, it has a rubber seal on the bottom (about a 1 inch wide rubber strip) that sits down on top of the front of the bed to keep water out.

2. The rails are similarly thick and rigid. There is a C channel in the rails, the cover rides inside this C channel on sealed permanently lubricated bearings. And not some cheap small bearings either they are pretty big, again seems overkill I like that.

3. The canister itself...I guess I was less impressed with it, its adequate but not as over engineered as the rest of the cover. But in reality it will sit empty most of the time with the cover deployed.

4. The end plates of the canister are Lexan with a spiral corkscrew channel molded into them. This is a good design, as the cover is retracted into the canister it rolls up in this corkscrew channel on the roller bearings, keeping the cover slats from touching/rubbing.

Installation Tips

1. First inspect the cover carefully, especially if you buy the 8' model. Its heavy and the factory really needs to upgrade the box the canister ships in. Its a large box and the thing weighs like 100 lbs. The first one they shipped me arrived damaged. One of the Lexan end plates on the canister was cracked. Check the area around the end plate screws carefully for cracks. Like glass once a crack starts it will spread in Lexan. Mine was obviously dropped on its end by the shipper. There was also a dent in one of the cover slats. The box design is okay, the issue is the box itself is made of cheap cardboard and doesn't hold up well in shipping.

2. Its important to take your time when installing this cover to make sure the rails are evenly spaced front to back. There are nylon adjustment gib screws on the rails near the clamp points, 2 gib screws per clamp to adjust the rail spacing side to side.

3. Take your time in adjusting the rails front to rear to make sure they are not bowed, low in the front, high in the middle, low in the rear front to back. They should be as flat as possible so that the cover will roll in that C channel without getting into a bind because the rails are bowed. This is probably more of an issue with the 8' model because its so long.

4. Make sure the rails are flat and parallel to each other, not tilted up or down. When you install the clamp you can position the clamp higher, in the middle, or lower in the clamping area. Depending on your truck bed this could pinch the rail so that its tilted up, flat, or tilted down. Remember a truck bed is not a precision machined flat true surface, so be prepared to adjust clamps to get it right.

The more time you take doing the install correctly the happier you will be. Final note, while the cover says you can "lock" the cover in any position...that's only sort of true. It only lock locks, like a dead bolt lock in the fully deployed to the tailgate position. Its more accurate to say that the cover can be secured from moving in any other position by a pinching action of the lock on the rail, but in those positions you can overcome that, push on the cover and move it.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,738 Posts
I have a Retrax Pro MX on my truck, and I love it. The cover is made out of aluminum and it keeps the bed dry and secure.

I had a Retrax One on my previous truck for 4 years without any issues, but it was made out of lexan, so it wasn't quite as solid as the new one.

I highly recommend the Retrax Pro MX to anyone looking for a high quality cover.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good tips on the installation. I would add that you can adjust the locking pinch pins to engage the side rails much more firmly. The pins can be adjusted with an allen wrench but there was not enough adjustment available to engage the passenger side pin. It was just hanging uselessly below the rail. I disassembled the passenger side pin and spun the pin assembly on the bar a couple of threads which took out the slack and then the pin would contact the underside of the bed rail at the same moment as the driver side pin. It takes a little more effort to lock the cover into the side rails after this adjustment but it's very difficult now to simply push the cover open when it's locked in any center rail position. I believe this is the way it was designed but it comes from the factory with too much play.

I made one mod to my Retrax by drilling a hole on the passenger side rail for the pinch pin to lock into. There is a slot on the driver side rail but not on the passenger side. A quick drill hole in the right place and the passenger pinch pin now fits into it and there's no way anyone could push open the cover without doing some serious damage. They would have to break the pinch pins on both sides to do that. It almost seemed like a manufacturing omission to not have the hole on the passenger side rail.

I too am really happy with this cover and agree that most of the components seem almost over-engineered. That's a good thing. I think the only weak point is the Lexan end plates. It appears that Retrax uses that material largely to show off the sealed bearings and the coil-rolled cover in the canister. It's cool but I would prefer they used aluminum. The cover would be military grade if it had that. I also found that proper rail adjustments and tightening to the truck bed is critical for smooth operation. It does work super smooth and feels extremely solid. The way this is designed you could put a lot of weight on the cover but I don't ever intend to. 5 feet of snow would be no problem. lol. I have high hopes for a long lasting quality cover.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 451 Likes on 199 Posts
Powertrax Mx pro,

Had the Powertrax and it only lasted about 5 years till the poly carbonate disintegrated.

Now I have the Powertrax Mx pro (aluminum)...love it so far.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ysgi
If my quick googling is accurate, the TC USA with the small toolbox is about $2500??? Is that correct?
Thats a pretty penny for a cover.

thx

ysgi
I have a Truck Covers rolltop. 2 years old this month. Paid $2260.
Mine have the tool box, tailgate cable release and electric locks in the tool box.

Tool box is starting to rust on the lid corners
The cover is not water tight if that is a concern
The drains in the canister will clog if you don't rinse them out occasionally.

Something else of note. These covers are universal with application specific installation parts.

The tool box will fit in just about any truck, so in a super duty much space is wasted.
The side rails could be narrower if the roll top itself was made to fit a Ford.

If you have a 5th wheel, something to watch. My pin box will hit the side rails on off camber backing in turns.

Even though it is no longer nice and shiny, odds are I'll just buy new side rails and put this in the new truck. There is plenty of "roll" if the beds are different in length.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rst-off-i.html

Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 AM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the Gator MX Pro

Its the same Retrax Pro but Gator name it doesn't leak , I am get two more miles gallon . I will post pics tomorrow . It looks great also it matches the black bed in Matt powered coated aluminum no rattles like the Paragon that drives me crazy