If F250s and F350s are the same truck, why does Ford build both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:22 AM
ryananding
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeaverCrap
No they absolutely would not insure the truck at all....I had to switch to GEICO that day....It worked out because I switched all 3 of my vehicles and added full coverage to my 5th Wheel for less than I was paying at esurance without the camper (esurance doesn't offer RV insurance)
Same exact thing happened to me. Switched from State Farm to Geico and all is peachy, and cheaper with my wife and all 3 vehicles!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 AM
ryananding
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 191124x7
Understood.

Agreed, and I'm fascinated by the question as well. Consider the paradox of an 8,300# truck that will 'break' if more than 1,700# are loaded in it. I mean, what's the point?

Also, consider this tidbit I found in that same document. If I read this correctly, at 10,000# GVWR and below they actually test the trucks to 'certify' them; but at > 10,000# all we have is recommendations for owner satisfaction?

It's like, wait. Are they kidding me? Again, if I understand this, the F-250's are 'tested and certified' for not 1# over 10,000 but the F-350s+ are 'recommended' limits? It would be so much easier if Ford would just come clean and list the max weight of each part in the system. However it is possible to look up some of the parts tires, axles...

I looked up the max weight for the Sterling 10.5 and it's just under 10,000# itself! Clearly *some* of the parts of the truck are WAY under max capacity.

Back to your question, why do they put a 10,000# axle in a 6,000# rear axle truck?

Agreed. However, they've given us a huge clue about something. By using the F-150 cab they've tipped their hand (and it makes sense of course) that they want to use the *same* parts as much as possible. Why not? Fewer parts means lower cost / higher profit. If they're doing that in the parts we can see, would it not follow that they do it in the parts we can not?

This argument is supported by the fact that the cost difference in the F250 and F350 is insignificant. (Interestingly very close to the cost to beef up the suspension).

At the end of the day I think it's state law and marketing, and not much more -- but that's just my opinion.

I agree completely. And to that end, I don't think -- short of one of their engineers coming on here and saying that part-for-part it's the same truck and the only difference is the suspension we won't ever know.

What we do know is there are a few people on this forum who have augmented their F-250's suspension and pulled heavy in all kinds of conditions for many miles. Some say they were uncomfortable and went to DRW (note: they did NOT say they upgraded to an F350 SRW and that fixed everything if I remember correctly.)

Most say it handed just fine.

I've not seen ONE person (although I admit it would be a less likely thing that people would post) admitting they broke their truck or had an accident. Not one has posted that he had any other major problem with anything NOT relating to suspension. One posted that he had his airbags fail -- again pointing me to the fact that if anything is going to 'fail' by treating an F-250 as an F-350 it will be suspension related (and aftermarket parts at that).

So if any system other than suspension is different, there's no evidence of it here.

At the end of the day, I BLAME FORD. In pouring through all this stuff I've found references to "it's important to ensure the customer has realistic expectations of needed capacity and sell them the right truck." Even to the point of giving weights of accessories such that if you add a huge window on top it will cost them significant capacity.

NONE of the 3 sales people I spoke with ever asked me what I wanted to do with my truck. NONE of them ever said, "hey, you never know what you might want to haul or tow...you can get an F-350 for $700 more...want to drive one and see if you can tell a difference in the ride?"

Why do they market the F-250? I see no good reason other than to save people a few hundred bucks on registration. In my opinion, that ends up hurting a LOT of people who buy an expensive F-250, only to be told they can't tow any more than their neighbor in his F-150.
Hi Robert,

So is your conclusion after all of your research that you should have purchased a 350, or that you feel comfortable now knowing for fact that the 250 is basically the same (other than door sticker numbers and a leaf spring)? I've read the entire thread and can't determine what your thought/feeling is, since you went with the 250 (or maybe it's going straight over my head). I'm in the market for a 17 250 but am curious what all of this means to the average dummy like myself. Ha! thanks in advance and fantastic work and determination putting all of this together!