Rose88racing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 7.3 Electrical Issues

Ok here we go:

After a couple of days of rain and truck sitting, Christmas Eve night we start

hearing a horn blowing as if someone was in my truck. When I approached the

truck it was blowing wide open and wouldn't stop. Now this truck is locked and

shouldn't be doing this. Had to pull fuse to make it quit. I cranked the truck and

noticed my airbag light is staying on too. What could cause this and where

should I be looking? I have noticed my airbag light another time to after the

rain, kinda tells me there's moisture coming in somewhere and getting

something damp. As always thanks for your help in advance!!

NOTE: Drivers door appears to be sprung and doesn't seal like it should??

Old 12-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When the windshield seal leaks, the water drips onto the GEM (behind the fuse box by your left foot). Things short out and stuff activates on its own. You can remove the GEM, blow it out with compressed air, and spritz it with electrical contact cleaner. There's a good chance you can rescue the GEM, but you need to fix that windshield leak ASAP.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM
Rose88racing
Senior User
I will get windshield re-sealed and see what that does. I assumed it may have been the driver door because it doesn't seal proper? Thanks for your reply. Also noticed that the other day when airbag light was on after running the heat for a few hours of driving the next time I shut it off and started back it went out.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:42 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I would second the windshield leak and the GEM.
Reseal the glass and pull and dry the GEM.
If there isn't the sound of sloshing water inside The GEM, then bury it in a bag of rice for a couple of days. That will draw out the moisture.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could the water be dripping on the steering wheel? The GEM may or may not be involved, but both the air bag and the horn switch are in the hub of the wheel.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have cab lights? They leaked on mine and caused electrical gremlins until stuff got dried out.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Yes I have cab lights, also noticed the headliner appears to be stained from what looks like water on drivers side at top of A pillar.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:28 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rose88racing
Yes I have cab lights, also noticed the headliner appears to be stained from what looks like water on drivers side at top of A pillar.
You can pop the A pillar plastic off and remove the sun visors and a couple of plastic fasteners and the headliner can be sort of pulled down enough to see the under side of the cab lights. You can wedge a small towel in between the metal and headliner and see if it collects moisture if no obvious leaks. (and still put the visors etc back in place)

I left towels in mine just in case, until I sealed the cab lights with silicon the towels would get wet in a good rain.

In my case I had them sealed, then later replaced a bulb and didn't reseal....then had an issue with my electrical system....that went away once I dried everything out and resealed the light. I noticed some drops of water on my rubber floor mat, could seal water trails in the dust under the dash too.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Ok they can't reseal or replace windshield until next week. Rained again today and the interior lights came on along with cargo light. Went out and couldn't make it go out so just unhooked batteries until I can get gem out to clean and dry out.

also my plastic drip ledge under hood on wiper cowl is not fastened right. Is it possible this could be draining the water into the firewall and in to the gem?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Got some sort of a resealed windshield but not happy about it. Next rain will tell.

You could see daylight on drivers upper side A-pillar around windshield. So I seen 1st hand

the water coming in with A-pillar plastic removed. Was running right down where

everyone said fuse box and GEM. So Christine may be fixed or may not time will tell.

Thanks as always for the help.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 AM
FarmingF250
Senior User
Good luck, if you've seen the gap and sealed it, all shiould be good. Might take a little while for the panel etc to completely dry out.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Back again after a long absence. Gremlins are back had to pull 2 fuses last night to make radio and lights go out. Now this morning airbag light is on blower motor is on....

So much for the re-sealed windshield...lol

Fixing to put new cab lights on and I WILL BE SILICONING THE LIGHTS!!

Also pulling gem and drying it out because I seen water in my floormat this morning...more than just a shoe print.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 PM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Is there something that makes these windshields that much harder to seal? I've only been lurking here a few months and see tons of threads about wet GEM modules because of windshield leaks. What gives? I got my windshield replaced right after buying the truck and my passenger side leaked and took a second attempt at sealing so I've also been down this road, I just lucked out that it was the other side of the truck.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I have wondered about this myself. I have been lucky in that I haven't had a leak in the 12+yrs I have owned my truck. But now that I have said that...

Old 11-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Well pulled the GEM out, no signs of water. Blowed everything out with air. Re-installed and now it's a clicking sound coming from behind the fan control. Also under drivers side battery there's a clicking coming from what appears to be some sort of brake junction box?? Also my turn signals work with key out, fan blows. Trying to narrow this down. Was good all summer until it rained. (Tells me moisture)
oh yeah speedometer jumping and O/D light flashing.

Last edited by Rose88racing; 11-14-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quick Reply: 2000 7.3 Electrical Issues