Slide-in + towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:29 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llblake64
All factors taken into consideration and very good info for anyone looking to carry a TC and pull a vehicle trailer.

The dimensions have changed a bit for the 2017 SD. The wheelbase for the SuperCab w/ long box is 164.2" and the rear overhang is 52". That reduces the percentage in your calculation. The GAWR for the rear axle is 7230#.

That 800# tongue weight is my working estimate and is higher than the actual weight in order to build in a margin. The trailer and Jeep combined actually weigh around 6500#.

Also, we are specifically looking at a camper with minimal overhang so that a hitch extension won't be necessary. These campers also have their water tanks forward of the rear axle. That will help to counteract the effects of the hitch weight.
Thanks for the correction on wheelbase. I see Ford has released a new version of the MY17 Towing Guide:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Oct19.pdf

---

Water tanks and other equipment placed low and forward on the Slide-In Truck Camper are certainly helpful to balancing the weight on the truck, and improving stability. I usually figure the tow ball will end up about 10" beyond the overhang spec. for the vehicle, but this certainly will vary.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by llblake64
I understand that folks are just trying to be helpful. This has been researched thoroughly for nearly a year and we spec'd our truck to maximize payload while giving us the space (both in the cab and in the camper) that we wanted. I would have been happy with a payload rating of 4000#, was thrilled to see the 4478#.

With the dry weight of the campers we're looking at we won't exceed either the GVWR (11,500#) or the rear GAWR (7230#). There won't be a hitch extension so there won't be any additional leverage effect from the hitch load sitting further behind the rear axle. All factors have been taken into account and calculated multiple times, I'm kind of maniacal when it comes to researching things like this.

I think there is some great information in this thread for anyone just starting out the planning process. This one thread could have saved me months of research earlier this year. I hope the OP got all the info he needed to make a well informed decision.
To be perfectly honest, I wasn't talking to you and you alone. You've got a long box. Finding a camper to fit without overhanging should be rather easy. The OP has a short box, and wants as big of a camper as he can manage, which is why I kept referencing overhand and hitch extensions.

The numbers I ran before are for a long is supercab. As the wheelbase goes down the amount of weight transfer goes up and the numbers get worse.

My intent here is to help anyone that might come across the same situation. If you've got a handle on yours, thats great, but like you said the info in this thread could be helpful to everyone.

JMO
YMMV

Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Ziggy81
Freshman User
So far everyone's response have been helpful in one way or another. It's a lot to take in and figure out. Sometime soon I'll load the trailer and jeep and go get everything weighed.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:37 PM
redmt79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did you ever figure this out?

I just bought a 1995 Lance Squire Lite @2116 pounds wet, and plan to tow up to 7000 as I mentioned in a previous post. My 2006 F250 does not have the camper package either, so I'm debating suspension upgrades and curious to know what you did.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 PM
llblake64
Senior User
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Thought I'd add a picture to show what our final setup looks like. Camper has an estimated 3400# loaded weight. Sitting still the upper overload springs weren't even engaged yet.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you got me scratching my head as to how you can load 3500 lbs. in your truck's bed and not engage the upper helper springs.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM
llblake64
Senior User
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Well you got me scratching my head as to how you can load 3500 lbs. in your truck's bed and not engage the upper helper springs.
Lower overloads were fully engaged but you could see daylight between the upper overloads and their contact pads on the frame. They did come into effect while driving though (bumps, corners) as evidenced by the springs being rubbed clean where they touch the pads.

This truck is a beast and easily handled this load, even with some serious crosswinds. BTW, the payload rating on the door frame sticker says 4478#.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:01 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The original poster's intent of towing with a slide-in is exactly why we chose a short bed camper for our short bed truck that does not hang beyond the bed too much that it requires a hutch extension.

We just sold our bumper pull camper and ordered a slide-in so we could quit pulling our camper and start pulling our fun!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 PM
sscheitel
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet looking Jeep!!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I went a slightly different route.
We bought a Hallmark Pop up truck camper for our F-350. In our case with an 8 ft bed we got an 8.5' long Hallmark Everest. They sell several different models including several shorter ones. The beauty of these is the lower COG and better aerodynamics.
www.hallmarkrv.com

There are a few other manufacturers including Four Wheel Campers, ATC, Palamino etc.

We tow a lighter rig than you but we decided that we didn't want to get a camper that would require the supertruss.
Here is a picture of our rig on a recent trip....

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2017, 12:45 AM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
#3400 loaded weight plus trailer?
Damn..how much can your truck hold?

Nvm...see the payload you posted. Im a little jealous. Extra 800# on me

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,291 Posts
Those Capri look pretty nice. Looks like a simple get away truck camper that wont break the bank..

Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Ziggy81
Freshman User
Wow! I'm impressed this thread is still going and has been helpful along the way. Unfortunately for me I still haven't bought a TC yet because of some other purchases since my op. But the wife and I are getting serious again looking at TC and are going to check out a Lance 650 and 865 tomorrow. The 650 is closer in weight and floor length I would want to be but I'm not sure on the floor plan yet without walking through one.
I also found a Palomino dealer nearby to checkout and got word of a Capri dealer coming nearby to West Chester, PA in a month or so. Plenty of options to fo look at.
Ive since added airbags to the truck and fixin to order a rear swaybar.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Ziggy81
Freshman User
As far as buying a new TC what level of negotiations can one get below their asking prices? So if the lance 865 is $34,000 what's a "good" price?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:28 PM
greendragon.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can figure a 20% less than MSRP for about any camper. My TC an 855s msrp was 42000 and I paid 3600 with no trade.

Quick Reply: Slide-in + towing