Sponsored by:

Might as well upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Lion king
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might as well upgrade.

Hey, so i have a 93 2wd that im trying to convert, but after thinking on it i thought, what if instead of swapping oem parts why dont i see what parts are usually upgraded and put them in instead of putting in oem parts. I would be using the truck for off road adventures and to get in the woods to hunt haul and that sort of thing. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Just sell it and get a 4x4 . It will be cheaper in the long run

Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Lion king
New User
Yeah ive thought about that alot, but it holds sentimental value, it was my moms shes was the second owner and its been in the family since mid to late 90's. We have like 150k miles worth of road trips on this thing. That and ive been working on it since we got it, i learned i loved mechanic work with this truck lol. That being said its a project, i have alot of plans for this beast lol. 5.8L TT and all lol

Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Tel us some more about the truck. F-150, 250, 350? I've heard that swapping an F-150 TTB on place of the F-150 twin I beam is a pretty simple bolt-on. Converting to 4WD is still possible on 3/4 and 1 tons, but I guess there's a little fabrication needed.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Lion king
New User
Its the F150 XLT reg bed it had the 5.0L in there but i already dropped the 5.8L in just looking for a good tranny that would be a good combo for the applications im looking for. Im aiming for about 5-600 hp so i would like to know of mods that would withstand that amount of power but still be offroadable.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
500 - 600 hp from a 351 doesn't sound cheap, and it might not be all that streetable or reliable. But it's your truck, so do what you want.

You'll need a 4WD trans and a transfer case. Do you want auto or manual? for manuals everyone here loves the ZF5. For autos the E4OD is the higher torque/power leader, or a C6 if you want to give up overdrive and a lock up torque converter (and gas mileage) in order to get away from wires (the E4OD is electronically controlled).

You'll need a front drive axle. The easiest is a Dana 44 TTB from a 4WD F-150. Slight upgrade would be to use a Dana 50 TTB center section (supposedly a little stronger and a direct bolt-on). Or you could use a solid axle. A Dana 44 out of a pre '80 F-150 might be the easiest (but still harder than a TTB I believe), or a Dana 60 is the holy grail (but probably not necessary unless you plan to really beat on it or run big tires).

A lift (if needed to clear whatever size tires you plan to run) should go on when you do the axle swap. Also getting the axle gearing where you want it and a locking or limited slip differential if you want one. Here's a link to a thread I have about those if you want to check it out https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15935996.

With that much power you probably need to upgrade the rear axle (see how expensive a powerful engine can get?). I'm not sure how much it's worth building up the 8.8" or if you are better off going with a different axle. Your '93 almost certainly has a vehicle speed sensor in the rear axle so you can't go to a 9" (at least not real easily). A 10.25" from an F-250 or F-350 might be a pretty easy swap, but that will give you 8 bolt rear hubs (you might need that Dana 60 front after all, that engine keeps getting more expensive). Rear axle gearing needs to match the front, and a locker in the rear is almost mandatory for off road adventures (at least in my book).

Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
500hp and a D44 will not work out very well either.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Lion king
New User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
500 - 600 hp from a 351 doesn't sound cheap, and it might not be all that streetable or reliable. But it's your truck, so do what you want.

You'll need a 4WD trans and a transfer case. Do you want auto or manual? for manuals everyone here loves the ZF5. For autos the E4OD is the higher torque/power leader, or a C6 if you want to give up overdrive and a lock up torque converter (and gas mileage) in order to get away from wires (the E4OD is electronically controlled).

You'll need a front drive axle. The easiest is a Dana 44 TTB from a 4WD F-150. Slight upgrade would be to use a Dana 50 TTB center section (supposedly a little stronger and a direct bolt-on). Or you could use a solid axle. A Dana 44 out of a pre '80 F-150 might be the easiest (but still harder than a TTB I believe), or a Dana 60 is the holy grail (but probably not necessary unless you plan to really beat on it or run big tires).

A lift (if needed to clear whatever size tires you plan to run) should go on when you do the axle swap. Also getting the axle gearing where you want it and a locking or limited slip differential if you want one. Here's a link to a thread I have about those if you want to check it out https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15935996.

With that much power you probably need to upgrade the rear axle (see how expensive a powerful engine can get?). I'm not sure how much it's worth building up the 8.8" or if you are better off going with a different axle. Your '93 almost certainly has a vehicle speed sensor in the rear axle so you can't go to a 9" (at least not real easily). A 10.25" from an F-250 or F-350 might be a pretty easy swap, but that will give you 8 bolt rear hubs (you might need that Dana 60 front after all, that engine keeps getting more expensive). Rear axle gearing needs to match the front, and a locker in the rear is almost mandatory for off road adventures (at least in my book).
Hell yes! This is exactly what i was looking for! Thanks! That hp goal would be way down the road and it would be with a built engine, ie. Forged internals supporting mods and possibly mid-sized twin turbos. MAYBE. Thats still up to debate, i just want a strong 4x4 that i can have fun with and haul cars with once in a while since i work in a used car dealership and sometimes we need more than just the tow trucks. For now id just do heads, headders, cam, tune and intake. I would rather overdo it on the drivetrain and suspention. But im just stepping into the 4x4 scene since i was in California and its mostly exotics and tuner cars, i have a BMW 335i with about 500+ whp and now im back home in the south so i want my truck now lol. Thanks for the advice though!

Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Lion king
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
500hp and a D44 will not work out very well either.
im most likely gana go with a Dana 60. Im guessing its beefier and can handle more power.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Lion king
im most likely gana go with a Dana 60. Im guessing its beefier and can handle more power.
Definitely.

You can also build it with stronger than stock axle shafts and U-joints. You can truss the axle. You can shave the bottom bot more ground clearance.

Or you can buy an aftermarket Dana 60 that's already built to the hilt. Magazine articles suggest that if you are going for a built Dana 60 that you might not have to pay much (if anything) more to get one from a company like Dynatrac or Currie than if you start with a junkyard Dana 60. So that's something to look into as well.

The aftermarket has even better axles than a Dana 60 as well.

It just depends on your checkbook.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Lion king
New User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Definitely.

You can also build it with stronger than stock axle shafts and U-joints. You can truss the axle. You can shave the bottom bot more ground clearance.

Or you can buy an aftermarket Dana 60 that's already built to the hilt. Magazine articles suggest that if you are going for a built Dana 60 that you might not have to pay much (if anything) more to get one from a company like Dynatrac or Currie than if you start with a junkyard Dana 60. So that's something to look into as well.

The aftermarket has even better axles than a Dana 60 as well.

It just depends on your checkbook.
Hell yeah thanks!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Make a long story short, Rob the driveline from a 350. Everything you need will be there, bigger trans, t-case and axles. At the power you are looking to make any thing smaller than a Dana 60 is a waste of money and effort.