1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Bronco78IDI's 1978 Bronco IDI Turbo swap Fabrication (lots of detailed info & pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Muddy74Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goose_ss4
Any updates to this
Looks like I wont have the funds to put behind it until after my Colorado move, few things in the way of it ATM sadly.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:24 PM
Muddy74Ford
Senior User
So, an update of sorts to this thread, the Bronco of which I was able to provide all this information from is currently being assembled now, the owner Robert Maguire/AKA: Robert Bronco (Facebook) has revived the project, currently he is placing the Powertrain into his completed chassis and many updates are coming on new threads for this build. Sadly Robert has been fighting with Cancer and is now Stage 4, he wants nothing more than to actually complete this build, so with some assistance from others he is making it happen, I have ordered him in a lot of Clutch Components including; ARP Flywheel and pressure plate bolts, and a Centerforce II 12" Clutch to help get the build going. As of this weekend the engine is finally sitting between the framerails and the Trans/NP203 Doubler/NP205 are soon to come after assembly. Sadly as I have moved quite a bit since and landed myself in Idaho again I have no been able to provide much help past some Tech advise and sending down the occasional part such as the 203 Range Box of which I was able to locate up here. I will however be making a trip down to Valley Springs CA to assist as much as I can on the 17th. I will also be making a new FTE Thread of all of the information that I know from this build as I was pretty well involved since day one so it can be an archive of Robert's Build, but also of the motor that at the time of being built was cutting edge.

This is a link to Robert's current Blog Page documenting some of his build and being updated day-by-day with the progress of the build: https://bronco78idi.blogspot.com/

Below is an update of sorts of the completed IDI Engine Mount Stands (as I have now noticed I did not post many details of the finished passenger stand) and of the engine finally sitting in it's final spot. I know that Robert wants this Bronco to be done more than anything and with some help from the community this is becoming possible, I just hope that we can make this happen and complete tis build even if it is minus some of the bodywork.

Thank you everyone for your interest in this build page and I will update this page with the FTE ink for the new Thread when I manage to make it.

Lastly I want to thank Robert for being a damn good Friend and Kin to me over the years, that and allowing me to talk him into doing some crazy **** with his builds over the years, but I will admit that Robert was the sole reason that I went from being in a "Leave it stock and tune it" mentality in respect to the IDI platform, to a firm believer in the performance capability of these engines. it's been one wild ride, thank you!

the built 6.9L, first to use the Prototype Harland Sharp Roller Rockers, R&D IDI Performance RD4-180 Pump, and ARP +625 Alloy Head Studs. Justin at R&D IDI Performance was a great help through all of the build and was even quoted with saying that Robert was one o the first to really be cutting edge with him.

The Chassis all assembled and ready for Powertrain.

The 6.9L set in the Chassis and read to recieve the NP435 with NP203/NP205 Splitter Combo.

The 6.9L set in the Chassis and read to recieve the NP435 with NP203/NP205 Splitter Combo.

Robert's video walk-through.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:20 AM
Muddy74Ford
Senior User
In Memory of Robert Maguire/Bronco78IDI

For those that knew him, and others that didn't, one of our own, and at the time one of the guys on the cutting edge of the IDI Diesel world, passed on January 5, 2021. He had a long battle with Esophageal Cancer that sasly ended his life, Robert was alot of things, my Mentor, a Brother, my Rock, but many of you may know him more as the guy that had the insanely built 6.9L IDI engine jammed in a 1978 Ford Bronco with the Harland Sharp Roller Rockers. This is a little bit of the story on the Bronco that we built and never finished, one of many to come as I will be trying to continue the Build to give Robert his last ride.

This video is a long one, I performed no editing, but I go over some light specs on the Bronco from front to back. Robert was survived by his Wife Kimber, robert's Son Michael, and their Daughter Amber. They have a Go Fund me started to help cover his end expenses and to help Kimber move up with Family to South Oregon. We are currently trying to find storage for the Bronco so it can be moved and finished. Over the next week I will be assembling the Bronco back in to as much of one piece as I can.

This is the First Video of which is re-launching Locked and Loaded 4x4, a Project myself and Robert started years ago and never completed, I will be featuring both the Bronco alot and my 3 builds (2 of which are IDI swaps).

If you have anything you could put forth this is the link to their Go Fund Me page, anything helps.

https://gofund.me/07eba261

Robert Bronco may we meet again my friend.