Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Scary loss of control

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Scary loss of control

Almost lost the tuck today. Truck has had less than stellar steering since I bought it. I've been just dealing with the additional play in the wheel. It's only been frustrating when I want to eat lunch between job sites and need two hands for the food and want to steer with my knee and can't because it takes to much motion to change the direction of the truck. (When I have kids, I'll deny I've ever done this)

I just put some new Toyo Open Contry AT 2's on the truck as the old tires were not up to winter last year and failed to grow any new tread over the summer. So today I got cut off by a bens on the freeway and had to make some quick maneuvers to avoid an accident, and it didn't go well. The truck did nothing, then pulled to fast, then as I corrected it started to wobble in a way I couldn't control. I took my foot off the throttle and let it slow while I fought to keep the wheel straight. It didn't stop until about 45mph. Then it drove fine again.

I'm pretty sure It's a combination of worn out steering box, shot shocks, and meaty grippy new tires.

When I got home I crawled under to look for anything obviously broken. Grabbed stuff and tried to move it. Nothing is loose, by hand at least. Ball joints, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links and U joints are all new in the last 10,000 miles.

When the Misses gets home I'll have her jump in the drivers seat and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while I check the pittman arm vs. input shaft movement.

If the steering box does have play I'll try to adjust it first as money is tight. If that doesn't do what I need I'll buy a new one, it'll be cheaper than wrecking the truck. If needed should I buy the redhead, or is there a cheaper option that would work nearly as well?

How important are the shocks in all of this? They look original, if the originals were painted silver and rusty. I'd like to get something nice on all four corners but as I said money just got really tight. (I'm about to get laid up for a year because I need a really nasty ankle surgery, and there is no sick leave for self employed remodeling contractors)

Also what else have I missed?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
You didn't mention the steering damper, also what size are the tires? Some say the steering damper is not needed and that might be true on a truck with a perfect front end and stock tires, but I believe the steering damper can prevent the "death wobble". Even so you still need to fix the steering play.

I went with Red Head and I am totally happy. Whatever you do stay away from the box store "lifetime" rebuilds, I have had one of those puke it's guts all over the road after less than a year on my work truck.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
No other options for a "good" steering box at the price point that RedHead is. Although, many have replaced the box with ones from Rock Auto or your local parts store and have been fine.

It almost sounds like you had what I would describe as the "death wobble". If you are unfamiliar with the term, do a quick search for it on YouTube and there is plenty of information there.

Do you have a lift on your truck? How about a steering stabilizer? Anything out of the ordinary done to the suspension?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:38 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't there another swiveling support for the pittman arm on the passenger side? This link can easily wear out over time.

Also, tie rod ends can be suspect as well: jack up truck--wiggle tires side to side.

How about unit bearings: jack up truck--wiggle tires with hands top and bottom.

Rear bearings: same as front.

Broken locating pins on front and rear axle, loose ubolts: should be able to see if axle has been moving around on the springs.

If all else fails, look at the spring shackles front and rear (assuming 4WD).

Larry

Old 11-29-2016, 10:04 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO: Too dangerous not to have a skilled profession have a look. You can do the work required. Too many fools out their and you don't want a reoccurrence.

IF you go to a Dealer tell them to have the CERTIFIED FRONT END TECHNICIAN look at it and no one else. Otherwise it may end up on a team without the experience to adequately diagnose it.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:59 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Thanks for the quick reply's.

After the Misses got home I had her move the wheel while I watched the parts moving under the truck. There was a definite dead spot in the steering box from about 1130 to 1230 on the wheel. So I started to tighten it up. Got carried away like most of the posts I read and had to back it off. In total I ccould only get about 3/8 of a turn out of it and still have the wheels self center after a turn. Which left nearly no improvement in the steering wheel play. When it was tighter the wheels would self center up until the last little bit and then left unchecked the truck would slowly continue right into the other lane or ditch. So I assume that is to tight

Also I checked tie rod ends, and I think every other part of the linkage. I also greased it all up as long as I was there.

I didn't notice anything shiny on the springs, but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll check that, shackles, and unit bearings in the morning.

Tires are stock size. 265 75 16 Range E

I don't think the truck has a lift. Unless previous owner did it and kept it small. Though it might be leveled. Front and back sit about the same. Though I can't remember what it looks like without 800lbs of tools in the back.

truck doesn't have a steering damper.

If I can't find something wrong I will consider taking to a pro. But I've got to try first myself. Not for stubborn pride but for financial self preservation. Unless I can find a desk job I'm on the cusp of loosing a year of salary. If I can find one I'll still loose 2-3 months.

Truck needs to be safe, but the house has got to stay warm too...

Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Put a steering damper on the truck. That will help big time. Then check and recheck till you find what the problem is. 3/8 is to much. You need a box. Some have had good luck with NAPA.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:23 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
If I recall, it takes a fancy bracket kit, to install a damper on a 2WD. OP, yours 2 or 4wd?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 AM
JoeF250
Tuned
Truck is 4wd. The only way to get to my hunting land in winter, or spring when the road washes out. I had just assumed that a stabilizer would come with what it needs to mount. It's this incorrect?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Generally all 4x4's had a damper. It mitt be the model ordered that didn't. I'd put one on.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeF250
The truck did nothing, then pulled to fast, then as I corrected it started to wobble in a way I couldn't control.

Did the steering feel like it temporarily bound up?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM
3wildboys
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had same issue with scary wandering,did new damper,same issue,did tightening of gearbox,hard to steer and still wandered,all new steering linkage next,still wandered,rebuilt steering wheel shaft under steering wheel,still wandered,did 135 buck o'rielly rebuilt gearbox and hot ----, tight and wander free!!!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
I think I'm going to go with the new gear box at this point. Before tightening the box I had nearly 4" total dead space in the wheel. Now with it tightened to just below binding. I still have nearly two inches. Everything else is tight. Can't move anything around even with a pry bar. I found some pictures of the stock stabilizer and I'm pretty sure my truck never had one. But I think I'd like to add one to add least preserve the steering box.

Where can I find the brackets?

I know it's normal for these steering boxes to go bad. But it's it common with less than 120k on the truck? I think the previous owner worked it to death with a fiver. Does that matter?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:39 PM
3wildboys
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My steering was insane,it would pull left and when corrected go right on a flat road with no wind,very high pucker factor.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeF250

I know it's normal for these steering boxes to go bad. But it's it common with less than 120k on the truck? I think the previous owner worked it to death with a fiver. Does that matter?
Some people turn their wheels all the time while sitting still which puts a tremendous strain on the steering components. They also like to hold it locked hard in one direction when manuevering tight spots. These are heavy trucks, best to try and not turn the wheels unless you are at least creeping. When you hit full stop back off just a tad till that pump stops complaining.

Quick Reply: Scary loss of control