Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Do Ford guys use Navistar Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:04 PM
DuaneHoyt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do Ford guys use Navistar Tools?

Is the Navistar ServiceMaxx diagnostic software for Ford trucks the same as what the Navistar guys have in their shop? I wondered if they limited you to only the engines Ford uses.
Another question I have is, Navistar used the IPT for identifying bad injectors on the VT365 (6.0) and VT275 (4.5) and it generated warranty codes to authorize replacing injectors. Did Ford guys have access to this tool or even need it?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:19 PM
72GTS
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your talking about the Blue Diamond built trucks They used different wiring set ups from each other so I would doubt they interchange.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:25 PM
DuaneHoyt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, not the Blue Diamonds, I am talking about the F650 and bigger which used the Navistar VT365 and the Cab Forward which used the VT275. Although they were Fords, the techs had a version of the Navistar software they used. I heard it was not the exact same diagnostics, but I'm not certain. I'm trying to find out what the Ford guys use.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:28 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
The Ford techs I know use IDS, because Ford builds in a boat load of proprietary bi-directional diagnostics software that they reserve for the IDS exclusively, and the later the model year, the more Ford holds back from what is released to competitive diagnostics devices... so I'm told, anyway.

As it was explained to me, with them being in a Ford house, they HAVE to have, use and be thoroughly familiar with IDS... so why pay for, subscribe to, and then have to learn anything else? Maybe Ford and International agreed to share ServiceMaxx software, but it is incorporated into IDS?

I can only think of one commercial truck dealer that was a mixed house (ie, they sold Fords and Sterlings, and also serviced White, Volvo, and IH.) LCF's (Low Cab Forwards) were not popular in my area, so I rarely saw them around here. The Izuzu equivalent was apparently too competitive. Anyway, I'd drop by this dealer and ask them for you, but they went down toward the end of the recession. But here is a bump up the page for your query.