6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Level Kit Question/Tire-Wheel Size

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level Kit Question/Tire-Wheel Size

I bought a 2015 F-350 used. The window sticker was in the glove box and I noticed it said it has snow plow prep option added.

So, from research, I see that most level kits come with 2.5" coil replacements. I measured the rake difference on my truck and it is 2" difference. I have the 4" block (3-5/8") in the rear. I'm assuming that I have a different coil (taller) than trucks without the plow prep, giving me a 1/2" height difference in front?

Do F350 trucks without the plow option have a 2.5" rake height difference, hence the reason manufactures have the 2.5" coil replacements?

Will the truck sit level if I go with the 2.5" coil kit or are there other differences with the plow prep, where I would then be sitting 1/2" taller in front?

Thinking on doing the Carli kit CS-FORDLVL-05 for $910. I like what I have read about this kit and definitely want to keep OEM ride feel, if not make it better. Their site says they recommend a carrier bearing drop for 2 piece drive shaft. Is this needed for my truck that already has the 4" block in the rear?

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by 06greenstroker
I bought a 2015 F-350 used. The window sticker was in the glove box and I noticed it said it has snow plow prep option added.

So, from research, I see that most level kits come with 2.5" coil replacements. I measured the rake difference on my truck and it is 2" difference. I have the 4" block (3-5/8") in the rear. I'm assuming that I have a different coil (taller) than trucks without the plow prep, giving me a 1/2" height difference in front?

Do F350 trucks without the plow option have a 2.5" rake height difference, hence the reason manufactures have the 2.5" coil replacements?

Will the truck sit level if I go with the 2.5" coil kit or are there other differences with the plow prep, where I would then be sitting 1/2" taller in front?

Thinking on doing the Carli kit CS-FORDLVL-05 for $910. I like what I have read about this kit and definitely want to keep OEM ride feel, if not make it better. Their site says they recommend a carrier bearing drop for 2 piece drive shaft. Is this needed for my truck that already has the 4" block in the rear?

Thanks.
The 'leveling kit' height isn't necessarily associated with the rake, as the rake varies with year/model/package. My 250 w/CS came with 0 rake from the factory.
Because you have Snow Plow prep package (with taller springs) expect a '2.5" lift' to yield only 2". Why? because the 2.5 is reference to the 'normal' spring. That said you should end up level"
If no changes are made to rear there is no need to shim carrier bearing.

Sadly, the kit comes with ball joint shims (not shown in any of the pictures) that cannot correct caster enough. Most people just live with it.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure the snow plow prep package comes with taller front coils or thicker coils.
The 2.5" rake is pretty standard.
I am also looking at the Carli front coil option but if you are in fact running a snow plow I would think twice about going there.
Give Carli a call if you have any doubt.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
SPP/CP/Heavy service front suspensions springs are listed as
"includes front springs upgrade (unless maximum springs have been computer-selected as included equipment)" aka thicker coil wire, higher rate, front sits higher given same weight.
you can x-ref spring rate/tag code/wire diameter in ford literature to see what you have given your truck's configuration.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
what is the caster from factory on these trucks? how much does the 2.5 carli affect it?

I'm not plowing, just have the option on the truck. No intention to plow.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 06greenstroker
what is the caster from factory on these trucks? how much does the 2.5 carli affect it?

'Normal' spec 2.7° ± 1.2° (1.5° to 3.9°)
snow/camper/heavy service spec is 2.1° ± 1.3° (0.8° to 3.4°) <- nominal # is lower because spring is taller.

If you lift 2" with the 38" radius arm, you get 3.5° change. (3.7° for 2.5")

The shim can only compensate (assuming factory shim is 0) 2.3° left and 2.6° right.

So given '0°' shim and center of spec (2.1°) you'll end up at 1.1°, but could actually be negative. Note 1.1° is 'in spec'.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:30 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
'Normal' spec 2.7° ± 1.2° (1.5° to 3.9°)
snow/camper/heavy service spec is 2.1° ± 1.3° (0.8° to 3.4°) <- nominal # is lower because spring is taller.

If you lift 2" with the 38" radius arm, you get 3.5° change. (3.7° for 2.5")

The shim can only compensate (assuming factory shim is 0) 2.3° left and 2.6° right.

So given '0°' shim and center of spec (2.1°) you'll end up at 1.1°, but could actually be negative. Note 1.1° is 'in spec'.
Thanks for this information.

So the shims that come with these kits don't give enough caster adjustment, but is that because the shims are just too small that are supplied. Possible to get bigger shims instead, or would that effect something else in the steering system?

I never understood fully the entire cause/effect in the steering components, so I'm just trying to learn it all.

I had a '06 6.0 that I bought with a 6" lift and 37" tires on it. I hated the fight I had with steering that thing, a small part of the reason I traded it in. I just don't want to make my new truck steering/ride a pain as well, but want to level it out.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having lifted many F 350 and level them. My best advice to you is get a complete system like ReadyLift makes or any other company don't go cheap, get the track bar relocation bracket because you're going to move that axle over to the driver's side about an 1.5 inches. Ready lift systems make the trucks absolutely beautiful it's the one I use about $700 but that gives you the relocation bracket the 2.5 lift up front all the brackets that drop sway bars in the front and 5 inch blocks for the back the truck sits perfectly flat. Now with all that being said one thing I can interject I have the snow plow package 6000 pound Springs the truck still sits raked due to the fact I had too add extra leaf springs in the back due to Ford weak-*** leaf. Now it gets a little more complicated, I've done the 2.5 system wish I went with 3.5 they make that too the reason being the old 2009 truck had the 2.5 inch system with a 5.4 motor 35 inch tires cleared with no problem however on the 2016 6.7 the 35 inch barely clear the fender. I've discussed it with ReadyLift and they're not quite sure what's wrong but, other people are reporting it toout must be the 11 through 16 design change no wonder why they made that 3.5 hope that helps LOL. I know it sounds confusing but, the point is whatever system you chose do a full system don't half-*** it take care

Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
So here is the information I've gathered from my extensive weekend research...

I have a 2015 F350 CCSB FX4 Package that has the Snow Plow Prep option. It is stock right now, with a 2" rake between front to back. It has the single drive shaft and the 3-5/8" (4") rear block already. It is sitting on 20" OEM wheels wrapped in the Michelin 275/65R20 factory wheels.

I want to keep the OEM wheels with this lift/level at this time but maybe bump to a more aggressive 35" tire in the near future. This is my daily driver, so I do not want to sacrifice any steering/ride feel from being stock. I also will be pulling a 32' TT in the spring/summer/fall that weighs 8100 lbs empty and can have an additional cargo weight of 2915 lbs.

I think I want to start out by leveling it, but be able to build upon in the future to maybe a 4.5" lift. Not sure I want to go 6" with this truck. So, my gut is telling me to go with the Carli Level Kit ($910) to get level and then add matching Bilstein shocks in the rear for now. But I worry about how bad a rear sag I'll have when towing and if my towing capacity or capability will suffer now. So I don't have a clue on what to do with the rear end.

Bags, to level back out when loaded? Add-a-packs through Carli, but in that case, do I just step up to their Starter System ($2,030)? Or, do I replace the rear leafs with a Deaver spring?

Also, will the caster correction cams that are supplied with these Carli kits get me back to proper caster alignment after the level kit? I want at minimum the same feel I have in steering/ride with OEM when I put this level kit on. I've read a lot where people say they work and all is good (generic responses), but then I have read detailed responses where some say they will get you to within spec, but it is the bottom line of spec, and these trucks need 4* of caster to track properly. So I'm left confused, do I shell out more money and get a 4-link so I can get the proper caster adjustment, or do I run with the supplied cams and see how I like it? I am thinking I run with the cams and see for now.

So anyhow, if anyone can help with my rear end delima and towing concerns with adding a level kit, I'd greatly appreciate it. I think I've narrowed my choices down as far as lift. I'm not going the spacer/puck route, so all those brands are out. And I like the fact Carli does the springs and adj. trac bar instead of drop brackets and spacers like other kits out there. Seems other kits give you the 4 shocks but no trac bar. Carli gives a trac bar but only front shocks. I can get rear shocks from amazon for cheaper than Carli gives option for adding, so I'll go that route.

EDIT: Forgot...Should I worry about pinion angle any with leveling the front and adjusting the caster? Granted, 90-95% of the time I won't have the front end engaged anyway, but just wanting to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:51 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Best advice is the give Trevor at Precision Metal Fab a call.

I have the same setup as you. 350 with the heavy springs. Ended up doing a 2" PMF leveling kit which set the truck perfectly level.

As for caster, Trevor at PMF recommends shims for 2.5" and higher. Again, just give him a buzz. He will save you a bunch of time researching this.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by UGA33
Best advice is the give Trevor at Precision Metal Fab a call.

I have the same setup as you. 350 with the heavy springs. Ended up doing a 2" PMF leveling kit which set the truck perfectly level.

As for caster, Trevor at PMF recommends shims for 2.5" and higher. Again, just give him a buzz. He will save you a bunch of time researching this.
Thanks! I'll do that.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 I'm in the same predicament as you.
I want a level ride when empty that is at least as good as stock if not better but when I load my bed with either our truck camper or goose neck trailer I don't want it to sag.

My current thinking is to go with the Carli leveling system in front with the complimentary Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear.
Then for when I carry a load I'm thinking of adding a pair of Air Lift Bags in the rear. That way the ride should be fine when empty but not sag when loaded...

Old 11-21-2016, 12:00 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Sounds like your goals are very similar to mine. I started with a 2" and went to 3.5 to clear 37s. The shim can't/won't get you anywhere near 3-4+ degrees caster you should run. I bought them and returned once I did the math. I suggest starting with a 3.5 kit that has drop brackets or radius arms. Then you can actually get an alignment done on the truck (once you install the biggest cams you are 'done').

Air bags IMO, are the best solution for the rear end as they are adjustable. front pinion angel will be fine.

PMF has great products, I recommend there stuff (I have some myself). They do sell 2" radius arm drop brackets...

I'm glad to see you are doing research and asking questions instead of just dropping big cash and then being disappointed in the results. Good luck.

Here is what I did, but I like to engineer/fab my own stuff.
My 2" lift and long travel air bag build
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-theory.html
Ball joint shim (alternate solutions in here)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-2-5-lift.html
2 to 3.5 lift
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tire-itus.html

Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by smlford
06 I'm in the same predicament as you.
I want a level ride when empty that is at least as good as stock if not better but when I load my bed with either our truck camper or goose neck trailer I don't want it to sag.

My current thinking is to go with the Carli leveling system in front with the complimentary Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear.
Then for when I carry a load I'm thinking of adding a pair of Air Lift Bags in the rear. That way the ride should be fine when empty but not sag when loaded...
I'm leaning on going this exact method as well.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM
06greenstroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Sounds like your goals are very similar to mine. I started with a 2" and went to 3.5 to clear 37s. The shim can't/won't get you anywhere near 3-4+ degrees caster you should run. I bought them and returned once I did the math. I suggest starting with a 3.5 kit that has drop brackets or radius arms. Then you can actually get an alignment done on the truck (once you install the biggest cams you are 'done').

Air bags IMO, are the best solution for the rear end as they are adjustable. front pinion angel will be fine.

PMF has great products, I recommend there stuff (I have some myself). They do sell 2" radius arm drop brackets...

I'm glad to see you are doing research and asking questions instead of just dropping big cash and then being disappointed in the results. Good luck.

Here is what I did, but I like to engineer/fab my own stuff.
My 2" lift and long travel air bag build
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-theory.html
Ball joint shim (alternate solutions in here)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-2-5-lift.html
2 to 3.5 lift
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tire-itus.html
Thanks Justin.

I see PMF uses spacers though for the front instead of springs. At least from what I have found online. I kind of like the spring replacement idea better (due to having put spacers on 1/2 tons in the past) but not sure if it is absolutely necessary. Do you know why PMF doesn't offer springs? Maybe to keep cost down on the kit some?

PMF - 2" kit (spacers), front shocks included...$389.99
ADD rear shocks...$150 (Amazon)
ADD adj. trac bar...$340
PMF Total $879.99

Carli - 2.5" kit (spring), front shocks included, adj. trac bar included...$910
ADD rear shocks...$150 (Amazon)
Carli Total $1060

So is the springs worth $180 in difference of kits?

(Prices from website)

I haven't reached out to him yet, but I intend to.

Quick Reply: Level Kit Question/Tire-Wheel Size