Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Engine Skid Plates or Splash Shields?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Skid Plates or Splash Shields?

After removing my air dam/spoiler, got to looking around the front end, saw the vacuum line that runs from the left to right of the truck. Is the correct part # for the skid plate/splash guard to cover from the rad, back to the transfer case as such,i have 2016 5.0 4x4 without any underneath protection, no skid plates.

FL3Z-16054-B

FL3Z-5D032-B

FL3Z-7222-A

which one will cover the underneath of the engine and provide protection for the front end parts and still allow for easy oil/filter access for routine maintenance???

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:45 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the offroad package and I'm going from memory here:
  • The 54-B part: no clue about that part. Doesn't look familiar. Maybe it blends in with the main engine plate. Not sure...
  • The 32-B part: Item #11 in the schematic is the engine skip plate. Not sure that's the corresponding PN listed.
  • The 222-A part: That's the cover that goes over the back part of the engine and transmission. It's a flexible composite POS that's nothing more than a splash guard. You have to remove a few screws from it to drain the oil
  • Not listed: Transfer skid plate

If you're looking for true, full skid plate protection front to back, the OEM kit doesnt provide it. I suggest looking at afgermarket solutions.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
  • The 222-A part: That's the cover that goes over the back part of the engine and transmission. It's a flexible composite POS that's nothing more than a splash guard. You have to remove a few screws from it to drain the oil
I removed this after I changed my oil the first time. I can't see much use for it. It's flimsy, clumsy, collects dirt and is a hassle to deal with. The only thing I've noticed since it's removal is slightly more engine noise from under the truck at idle.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Thanks for your posts, would there be any value in purchasing the FL3Z5D032B? Which would be the best bet in your opinion? which one actually provides any protection. Definately ruling out the 222-A.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:56 PM
onug
Postmaster
I'm not sure where that vacuume line you mentioned exists under the truck, so hard to tell what OEM PN will cover it up. Hate to say it, but a trip to a dealership with a quick crawl under the front of a truck with the FX4 might be the easiest way to figure out how the OEM solution works.

I've been looking into better skid plates ever since yelling "WTF..." from under the truck during it's first oil change. Thus far, the only company I've found that makes a full kit (or any parts for that matter) is RCI metalworks RCI Metalworks 4x4 Off-Road Body Armor- Skid Plates, Rock Sliders.... They've got some purdy pictures of their various parts online...maybe their pictures can give you an idea of what needs to be covered?

Good luck...

Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 AM
onug
Postmaster
And for my 1,000th post...

I just did some forum searching on RCI and found this great picture: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-engine.html

Check out the photo from NASSTY. Looks like the picture was taken from the left side of the truck, pointed toward the right-front. The 222-A part is that cloth (I called it composite) part front and center in the picture. The #11 reference I made earlier is the metal plate forward of that shield.

Side note: This thread talks about the the 222-A part protecting the cats from starting a fire. Does your truck have this option now? If it's a safety component, I'm willing to bet (hoping) it's on all the trucks. But if you don't have one, I'm yanking it off during my next oil change. It's a PITA and worthless for anything other than deflecting small rocks IMO.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 AM
Thorium
Senior User
I'm not sure where that vacuume line you mentioned exists under the truck, so hard to tell what OEM PN will cover it up. Hate to say it, but a trip to a dealership with a quick crawl under the front of a truck with the FX4 might be the easiest way to figure out how the OEM solution works.

I've been looking into better skid plates ever since yelling "WTF..." from under the truck during it's first oil change. Thus far, the only company I've found that makes a full kit (or any parts for that matter) is RCI metalworks RCI Metalworks 4x4 Off-Road Body Armor- Skid Plates, Rock Sliders.... They've got some purdy pictures of their various parts online...maybe their pictures can give you an idea of what needs to be covered?

Good luck...
And for my 1,000th post...

I just did some forum searching on RCI and found this great picture: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-engine.html

Check out the photo from NASSTY. Looks like the picture was taken from the left side of the truck, pointed toward the right-front. The 222-A part is that cloth (I called it composite) part front and center in the picture. The #11 reference I made earlier is the metal plate forward of that shield.

Side note: This thread talks about the the 222-A part protecting the cats from starting a fire. Does your truck have this option now? If it's a safety component, I'm willing to bet (hoping) it's on all the trucks. But if you don't have one, I'm yanking it off during my next oil change. It's a PITA and worthless for anything other than deflecting small rocks IMO.
Thanks onug for the info, here are the vacuum lines im talking about, or at least i believe them to be vauum lines, this is a very bizarre place to put something i would deem critical. This is the front end of my truck, id like to protect this area, if im driving through heavy snow, how do i not run the risk of damaging this line??

JKBrad, thanks for your reply also

Old 11-19-2016, 09:34 AM
onug
Postmaster
Well, that area is open on my truck too. It's not protected in the OEM package. The RCI plate appears to cover this area, but I'm worried putting something there will make it impossible to remove the oil can.

On a related note, I emailed RCI a few weeks ago with that question. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Thorium
Senior User
I cant be the only one with this line just literally hanging there? Does this not concern anyone, it can be easily damaged or at least separated at the connection there in the middle while in heavy snow and such, what a terrible place to route this line! The RCI are definately good pieces, darn exxpensive too, moco should have placed some kind of shielding regardless of what trim level one purchased.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Thorium
I cant be the only one with this line just literally hanging there? Does this not concern anyone, it can be easily damaged or at least separated at the connection there in the middle while in heavy snow and such, what a terrible place to route this line! The RCI are definately good pieces, darn exxpensive too, moco should have placed some kind of shielding regardless of what trim level one purchased.
I'll crawl under my truck if the weather clears up this weekend and see if the same hose is there.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:44 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Thanks onug for the info, here are the vacuum lines im talking about, or at least i believe them to be vauum lines, this is a very bizarre place to put something i would deem critical. This is the front end of my truck, id like to protect this area, if im driving through heavy snow, how do i not run the risk of damaging this line??
Is that the transverse frame member between the front wheels?

Old 11-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Thorium
Senior User
I'll crawl under my truck if the weather clears up this weekend and see if the same hose is there.
If you have the bumper that has the center openings, just peak through there, it should be easy to see, matter of fact, the pics above i took were between the license plate frame and the bumper opening.

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Is that the transverse frame member between the front wheels?
Yes, that is correct

Old 11-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
If you have the bumper that has the center openings, just peak through there, it should be easy to see, matter of fact, the pics above i took were between the license plate frame and the bumper opening.
Just took a look on mine. Those of us with EcoBoost engines have a charge air cooler in that hole, so it's not visible. Just ducked under the bumper and see the same thing, I'm a bit surprised to see a vacuum hose there.

I'm not worried about it, though. I'm fairly certain I'd rip the air dam off long before I damaged the hose.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:21 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Just took a look on mine. Those of us with EcoBoost engines have a charge air cooler in that hole, so it's not visible. Just ducked under the bumper and see the same thing, I'm a bit surprised to see a vacuum hose there.

I'm not worried about it, though. I'm fairly certain I'd rip the air dam off long before I damaged the hose.
Tom, could it have not been routed behind the cross frame member, as protection of sort? Or even if it was 1 piece and not the connection in the center of the crossmember, very bizarre. I gotta see about re-routing this, its like CSI, the engineers must have thought of this?? Anyways, its snowing a little up my way!!!

Old 11-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Tom, could it have not been routed behind the cross frame member, as protection of sort? Or even if it was 1 piece and not the connection in the center of the crossmember, very bizarre. I gotta see about re-routing this, its like CSI, the engineers must have thought of this?? Anyways, its snowing a little up my way!!!
I'm sure it could be rerouted, but you have more of a reason to do this than I. Just thought about it...the CAC is mounted at the same level, but just behind the bumper. I suspect this would be a casualty before that hose would.

Quick Reply: Engine Skid Plates or Splash Shields?