Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:30 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E4OD Upgrade question

Hi- I am in the midst of rebuilding my E4OD transmission, and I have a question about the 3/4/6 pinion planetary gear sets:

Quite simply, are the gears themselves the same, other than the number of planets? I mean- Will the 6 planetary setup use the same sun gear and ring gear as the 3? I currently have a 3 planet system in each of the planetary sets in my E4OD, and want to upgrade to the 6, but do not know if I can simply swap in the planet sets without changing the existing ring gear(outer) and sun gear...

Additionally, is there a six planet OD setup, or just 3 & 4 planet OD sets? (Front & rear are in 3/4/6)

Thanks-
Scott

Old 11-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the black art of internal E4OD mysteries.

Its my understanding that the more planets/pinions the greater load distribution, besides increased strength of steel.

I had my 94 upgraded to many 95 specs. My invoice reads as:

E4OD/4R100 6 pinion steel forward planet gear kit

4 pinion Reverse Planetary steel

1995-1997 E4OD Four pinion steel overdrive planet

Hardened shell, fits 1989 up E4OD/ 4R100

I had an issue where an apparently well meaning employee of the company I used, changed out the input shaft of my transmission after it came off the dyno back to the "94" shaft. Very different from the 95 shaft & the 4 pinion overdrive shaft.

It ate the thrust bearing of my 5.8 which I just finished rebuilding.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Yes can just swap the planets

Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Briansshop
Yes can just swap the planets
See, how simple. Black arts, I tell ya'h...

I thought the ratios were different?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Every E4OD ever made had 2.71/1.54/1.00/0.71 ratios regardless of the number of planets.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ng19delta
...are the gears themselves the same, other than the number of planets? I mean- Will the 6 planetary setup use the same sun gear and ring gear as the 3?...
Ratio as in the different # planets in relation to the central/sun gear.

I'm sure there was a better phrasing.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the 6 pinion low/reverse planet can be retrofitted from the 4R100 to the E4OD.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Well, I have the trans fully apart, with only a little destruction: I ended up having to buy another pump unit, because as I tipped the trans up to get it back onto the trans jack after I slid it out from under the truck, the input shaft slid forward , hit the ground, and broke the top of the stator support where the seal is... Yeah. Nice job, dodo. Anyway, they manual says not to remove the stator support form the back of the oil pump housing, so I got another to replace the whole thing. I'll check on the drainback valve, et al, when it arrives. It is supposed to be the upgraded pump.

I ordered new ATK parts- the six pinion front & rear planetary gear sets, as well as the 4 pinion OD planetary with the new, shorter input shaft... I have a new servo piston assembly to put in, but my trans was missing the cover plate & retainer: will t his negatively affect it? I am assuming such, and am trying to locate the parts.(They just weren't there!)

I was going to do the center support upgrade, but was happily surprised to find it was already accomplished, so I will have to send that kit back... I think this trans was rebuilt at some point, though it doesn't really look it: But the clutch plates, while worn, are not as worn as I would have thought. And the band looks almost new! But, since it is out, apart, and I have the parts for the job, it is getting all the upgrades I can afford, new clutch plates, "Tugger" kit, etc, and a new torque converter. Unfortunately, I can't afford to replace the solenoid pack at the moment, but it has (knock wood) been acting properly, so I am not going to sweat it for the moment, as it is a relatively easy, "trans in" repair to do so later.

I will be using the tugger kit to reprogram the valve body, so I am looking forward to a little better operation overall. I'm also probably replacing all the bushings, and as many of the thrust washers as appear to need it.

Next on the hit parade is to pull the engine, and either put in a remanufactured one, or overhaul it myself. The cost will be about the same, but I would rather get the reman, for time savings...

Scott

Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
The band in the E4OD is only used for manual 1st and reverse, which is probably why it looks new. Make sure you don't over torque the center support bolts, you can warp the case.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The band in the E4OD is only used for manual second gear, which is probably why it looks new. It is not used in manual first or reverse.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The band in the E4OD is only used for manual second gear, which is probably why it looks new. It is not used in manual first or reverse.
Oops, sorry. I knew it was used in one of the manu positions, looks like I got it mixed up.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The band in the E4OD is only used for manual 1st and reverse, which is probably why it looks new. Make sure you don't over torque the center support bolts, you can warp the case.
Thanks!

Scott

Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
ng19delta
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Thanks, too!
Scott

Old 11-18-2016, 07:13 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Well, the more I look at the parts, the more I get the distinct feeling that it was overhauled in the recent past... The guy I bought my truck from had it from 95k miles or so (IIRC) and it had not been driven in seven years before I got it. (I bought her 2 years ago, with 196k on the odometer) I just left a message for him, to find out if my hunch is correct. Either way, I am not regretting tearing it down- I am upgrading whatever I can, and ensuring another 200k miles...

Is it possible for a weak engine to kill a torque converter? I am wondering if that combination may be the real culprit... The engine is coming out tomorrow- and I know that was not rebuilt at any time recently... lol...

BTW- Does anyone have an answer about my question on the missing plate & retainer for the servo piston assembly? Will it adversely affect me? Or should I be trying to find one?

Thanks!
Scott

Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Well, I just found this reply from 2006 on a diesel website forum, and it covers a few questions. Apparently they eliminated the cover & retainer for the servo. SO that's a couple less items to worry about... I'm posting the whole post below in case anyone else can use the info.

Guess I'll just get everything cleaned up, set up & ready this weekend, so when the other bits arrive, I can install t hem & put her all back together...

Scott

[ QUOTE ]
Im starting to tear down the tranny , using the ATSGtech manual . It was rebuilt at one point , It has a 'rebuilt Ford' sticker on it .

So far theres 2 ckeckballs missing , 1
steel 1 rubber steel 1 rubber
. And no snap ring/retaining plate on the servo spring/piston/rod assembly . Stuck in the TC is a thick shaft that matches one down in the pump which looks like it snaped in half . Also the out side of the pump(not out yet) has large pieces of chiped metal . I'm to the part for pulling the pump and I need these things .

- Pump puller adapter T89T-70010-A
- A slide Hammer T59L-100-B
- Clutch spring compressor T89T-70010-F

Does anyone know where to get them and $$ wise what I'm looking at?

I'm attempting this rebuild with no experience and I wanna see whats damaged before I buy a rebuild kit . I bought this truck for 5K$ about 2 years ago . Put a ton into it , I'm hoping to get it running and sell it for my 5K$ back and take the loss (BIG) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] . I've since bought a newer diesel so I'm not too rushed .

[/ QUOTE ]

The slide hammer can be a universal type as used in body work, you actually are supposed to use 2. One on each side, but alternateing 1 side to side to pull the pump will work. The adapter mates the slide hammer threaded shaft to the threaded holes in the pump. These tools maybe available on the sites mentioned or local. The next tool will possibly be an OTC Ford Rotunda only-- Clutch spring compressor T89T-70010-F. You will also need the gear train tool for disassembly and reassembly. Read further and you will see it mentioned. That tool is available aftermarket.

The missing checkballs indicate you have a later model tranny or a shift kit has been installed. The servo piston also, it was revised to eliminate the plate and snap ring. The snapped shaft is the input shaft and goes from the torque converter to the OD planet carrier. So Far your probably in for replacement of the shaft and OD planet carrier and probably TC due to the metal shavings.

I have the shaft and od planet used and cheap if you should need it as well as other parts from a turbo diesel tranny. Just PM me.

The upgrade info mentioned is correct except the lastest design for the planets is 6 pinion front and rear and 4 for OD all with cast iron carriers. These parts bring strength up to 2002 4r100 Diesel level. Since your fixing it to sell your probably not wanting to upgrade it, just fix it. The ball bearing center support and pump alone will upgrade an IDI tranny to Powerstroke 95-97 strength with the used planets i have. 94-97 diesel units have the same strength planets.

Quick Reply: E4OD Upgrade question