1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just What You Want to See... Another '53 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just What You Want to See... Another '53 Build

I've wanted one of these old trucks for along time but life and other interests always seem to get in the way.. I've recently retired and need something to keep me busy, so Momma gave the green light and I started shopping.
I came across this '53 fairly close to home. Probably payed a little to much for it but I wanted an original Flathead truck and when I found a '53 I had to go for it.
Specs are: 1953, F100, 239 Flathead w/EAB heads, 3 on the tree and a 3.92 rear.
It's all there and pretty solid. Most rust is in the driver side forward cab mount area. Frame is excellent.
When I found it it was sitting in a garage in central Michigan and had been there about 4 years. Owner advertised that it ran and drove. Upon arrival I found it sitting in a corner covered with dust, no battery and at least 4 year old gas. When we tried to push it out to get a look at it, the right rear brake was locked solid. Had enough help to slide it across the dirt covered floor. The situation gave me a lot of bargaining power (not the least of which was false advertising). In the end he took less than he wanted and I paid a little more than I wanted, so it worked out. The plan is to keep it stock and original.

As I found it...

New Battery, New Fuel Pump, clean gas tank and new fuel lines, fresh oil in engine, trans and rear end. Also cleaned up and bled all the brakes... Runs extremely well now and makes its way down the road but a long way to go...

Old 10-18-2016, 02:10 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome. You have a fine looking starter there. You will have fun and learn so much on this forum the guys here are friendly and very knowledgeable. I know it's pretty late at night for the old timers but I'm old too and I don't worry about it. I have always like the 53's, but they were modern when I was a kid.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:38 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Hanger! Really honest looking 53. Glad you and the seller got past the 'ran when parked' business. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Welcome to FTE, and congratulations on your find.

There can never be too many '53 owners here.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:35 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Wow! What a find. It looks straight without any rust holes or big dents. And you got it running and stopping, great!

Welcome to FTE and the world of old Ford trucks! FTE is the best Ford Truck Forum on the World Wide Web.

Thanks for the pics and keep them coming. Some under the hood and the inside of the cab would be liked!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
Thanks Guys!! This old truck has already been more fun than I imagined. Big regret is that my Dad is not around to help. He was a Ford mechanic when this was new and it would be great fun to call him and ask "how does this work?"
(not that anything is that complicated).
The seller failed to mention that it was now converted to 12 volt. Glad I noticed one of the headlights said 12V on it before I bought a battery.. The original fuel pump had it's lines cut and left in place. An electric fuel pump was added. I queried him on that and he said the guy he got it from had put that on and it worked fine for the 10 years he owned the truck. It too was 12V. Funny thing is that when I powered it up, it flooded the Carb. Did a little research and found it was an 8 LB pump. I seriously doubt the truck ever ran with that pump installed. It was easily remedied with new mechanical pump.
Currently:
1) trouble shooting Turn Signal/Brake lights (think I have a handle on that, with much help searching these forums)
2) Trying to figure out what to do about tires. Front ones are pretty bad and backs "look" ok.. would like to just replace the fronts for now but it seems 600x16s are pretty expensive and I don't want to throw the money away if I am considering a different wheel and tire combo. Just trying to get by until the snow flies and I start the complete tear down...

Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanger53
Thanks Guys!! This old truck has already been more fun than I imagined. Big regret is that my Dad is not around to help. He was a Ford mechanic when this was new and it would be great fun to call him and ask "how does this work?"
(not that anything is that complicated).
That is a shame. It reminds me of the short time I got to work on my truck with my dad. I was a teenager when I first rebuilt the engine. I was using a Hot Rod magazine article to set the timing and firing order. It had a dead miss in two cylinders and I couldn't figure it out. My dad, who at the time hadn't worked on a flathead in 20 years took one look at the article and said "that's the wrong firing order." I moved two wires and it ran perfect.

Originally Posted by Hanger53
Trying to figure out what to do about tires. Front ones are pretty bad and backs "look" ok.. would like to just replace the fronts for now but it seems 600x16s are pretty expensive and I don't want to throw the money away if I am considering a different wheel and tire combo. Just trying to get by until the snow flies and I start the complete tear down...
You should check out this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ires-guys.html

Old 10-18-2016, 09:06 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, new here myself and with a 53. Yours is in great condition it appears, as with anything there is still plenty to fix or customize to you.

Looking forward to your updates!

What is the original paint code? With the red rims and red showing through the black wonder if it had been painted.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
Hi Shawn, the original paint code was Black. The red your seeing on the box is actually a primer I think.. I don't think this is the original box.
Story is that the truck was gas station vehicle the better part of it's life in Kentucky. Hard to read, but on the door is painted "Perry's / 24 Hour Service". The station decal was removed and the sign painted over for some reason... I took some fine steel wool and buffed it till the white came through...

Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice

Hanger;

Nice looking project. You've got a good base to work from. What are your plans, keep it as close to stock as you can?

I'm sure you'll uncover some more surprises along the way, but that's what this hobby is all about. Good luck with it, and make sure you keep the pictures coming.

Tom

Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 AM
rzns60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, nice find. Looks like a fun project.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Getting "Henry" (my wife named the truck) road-able so I can get a few miles on it before the snow flies and the full resto begins...
Decided we need to go with a wider wheel and a radial tire.. was wondering what you guys like in a stock looking wheel/tire comb that will fit well and look good?
I see a lot of trucks with a stock looking steel, painted wheel with chrome trim rings a stock small hub caps that we really like but I've seen no reference to diameter and width..thinking 15x6 on the front and 15/7 on the back.
Any opinions?

Old 10-22-2016, 01:21 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I like the look of my 15' chrome wheels with 235 tires. I removed the silver paint, the previous owner sprayed, from the rear wheels after this picture was taken.

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also went with 15x6 in the front and 15x7 in the back on a '56 with lowered but still stock type suspension.

I wanted the hot rod rake, so I have 215/70r15 front radials and 235/75r15 rears.

Name:  image-2216280327.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  732.1 KB

Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=EffieTrucker;16654379]Welcome to FTE, and congratulations on your find.

Ditto. And, welcome to the forum, from one "53 owner to another.

Quick Reply: Just What You Want to See... Another '53 Build