Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trouble w 1st diesel, 3/4 ton f250 7.3l turbo diesel..need help pls

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
mr_wrong_tx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble w 1st diesel, 3/4 ton f250 7.3l turbo diesel..need help pls

ould use help...1st diesel I ever owned...was running good n one day to the next it's not...2000 f250 3/4 ton 7.3l powerstroke w 256000 miles...standard...changed oil like a month ago...bought an k&n air filter...other than that nothing else has been done or added to the truck....will crank n turn on...run smooth...then slowly start to shake more n more n start to knock....loss of power..gets slower n louder til it stops...i can wait a little n then hard strart her....she will sound like **** for a little but once i give some fuel she smooths out for a couple mins n then start to do that **** all over again..tried to rent scanner from AutoZone in town but it won't work...light duty trucks only....any ideas of what it is or what I can do

Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Is the check-engine light on? You might have a real diesel service center dump the codes and give their opinion. How many minutes from starting/running until it loses power and dies?

Are the fuel and air filters clean?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
First place I'd start is filter, then pump.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 109 Posts
WELCOME TO FTE!!!

First thing I would do is check the oil level. You can easily get those symptoms if your level is low which could be the result of either burning oil or an oil leak.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Crims
Junior User
Do you have any dash lights coming on? Were you the one that changed the oil? Check the oil level, how much did you put in it? I only ask because you said it is your first diesel. Do you know when the fuel filter was last changed? Has it been run out of fuel recently?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 889 Likes on 626 Posts
Could also be clogged pick up in the tank. You can pull the hose off of the back of the fuel pump located under the driver's seat inside the frame and blow air back into the tank for a temporary fix. If that helps you know your problem is in the tank and the Hutch mod is in order. Remove fill cap from tank before blowing air back. The retainer clip is a white U shaped piece of plastic and it comes out easily with a screwdriver. I'd recommend getting replacement clip available at almost any auto parts store first because I always break mine when I take them off.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
quick list of things to try

1. remove the K&N air filter and replace with Motorcraft (or the AIS) K&N tend to let in more then just air...

2. disconnect the fuel line just before the pump and blow some compressed air into it (or shop air) at a LOW pressure, no more then 10 -15 PSI is needed here

3. drain the fuel bowl into a CLEAR (glass recomended) container to check for sediment or other contaminants

4. check your fuel filter is it clogged?

5.replace the fuel filter if it has more then 20K on it (or there about)

6. check for fuel flow

7. what is your fuel pressure???

8. I think this should cover the basics...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 109 Posts
Aside from low oil level, a tired and dying fuel pump can also show these symptoms.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 PM
mr_wrong_tx
New User
Engine light & diesel

No lights on in dash @ all...checked fuel filter on top of engine..didn't look bad..drained a couple glasses of diesel out and haven't found any sediment and didn't look bad at all. Only have about half of 1/4 in there right now going to go ahead and drain it out completely add a new diesel. Bought of diesel Kleen and some seafoam and a new fuel filter

Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 PM
mr_wrong_tx
New User
One thing I did notice was that the oil level was about three-and-a-half 4 quarts low. When I first started having trouble at check-in an atom or oil since then it's been marking the same haven't lost any. I change the oil but a month ago that put a Rotella full synthetic. It when I get some more money I'm going to go ahead and change it again with Motorcraft oill filter again and Delo

Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 AM
mr_wrong_tx
New User
I do have one question though, when I first bought the vehicle and check the air filter and I saw that it was like 50 like really kind of dirty like a really dirty on the bottom side of that air filter. Now that I put that K&N if not maybe 2 to 3 weeks ago but thank you and it also wasn't like really really dirty but it was dirty from the bottom side and already getting kind of like oil residue. What would cause that to happen

Old 10-18-2016, 02:53 AM
mr_wrong_tx
New User

I do have one question though, when I first bought the vehicle and check the air filter and I saw that it was like 50 like really kind of dirty like a really dirty on the bottom side of that air filter. Now that I put that K&N if not maybe 2 to 3 weeks ago but thank you and it also wasn't like really really dirty but it was dirty from the bottom side and already getting kind of like oil residue. What would cause that to happen

Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
where in TX are you?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 869 Likes on 633 Posts
Starving for fuel at 1/4 tank is typical when the foot in the tank breaks off. Keep the fuel well over 1/4 full and if the problem goes away, ya know what's wrong.

Low oil level will prevent the injectors from firing. Nice feature actually. Has to be pretty darn low tho.

Drop in K&N air filters are not recommended. They don't seal very well in the stock airbox and can let in unfiltered air. If you want to use the stock airbox make sure all the clips are working so it seals up reasonably well, and use the OE filter. Better yet upgrade to something else like a 6637 or AIS or whatever.

Just inside the air tract there you'll see a little vent sticking up. That's the crank case vent system and a fair amount of oily air goes back into the intake. You'll get oily IC boots and whatnot from that. Generally it won't get back the other way to the air filter but I suppose if the turbo was surging it could blow back that way. Or some other source of oil near the intake.

The synthetic oil is a good thing, especially if the injectors are tired. Keep it in there. Do not use oil additives. Fuel yes, oil no. Reason is the HEUI injectors use oil to power the fuel delivery, so the oil is worked hard. Random oil additives can foam, so I hear.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:20 PM
mr_wrong_tx
New User
Alice, tx....well 15 miles north

Quick Reply: Trouble w 1st diesel, 3/4 ton f250 7.3l turbo diesel..need help pls