1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Is my power steering pulley on backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my power steering pulley on backwards?

Recently the slow leak of fluid from my power steering system has become a gusher, so I decided this weekend to replace the power steering pump, the pressure line, and the return line. I got the pump removed with little difficulty, but when I went to pull the pulley (to use on the new pump), I couldn't figure out how to attach my pulley puller. This is what I am faced with:

First question: is this pulley installed backwards? If I peek behind the pulley I can see the flange that I was expecting to see on the front, so my guess is that yes, it is on backwards. Can anyone confirm? This is for a 1980 F-150 Custom with the 300 engine.

Second question: is there a good reason for it to be on backwards, if that is indeed the case? I'm assuming the last people to work on it were just morons, but is it possible that they wanted to move the belt path forward for some reason? I didn't think to look at belt alignment before I removed the pump, but as far as I know everything is lined up correctly and the engine bay is stock.

Finally: can I use a sufficiently large gear puller to remove the pulley, or will this damage it? Would it help to apply heat to the bore before pulling?

Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Yes, that is on backwards. I have no suggestions on how to get that off without damaging it.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:44 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Take a few more pics, like from a belt alignment perspective etc. Lets see how much clearance there is between the pulley and the pump. There is going to have to be leverage applied from behind near the shaft. Let's see what we have to work with.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:47 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
I think if you use a larger jaw puller without some support near the shaft.....it will end up looking like a broken dinner plate.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:00 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
I know it's "closing the barn door after the horse ran out" but, it's always easier removing the pulley while it's all still mounted in the bracket. Provides leverage.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Take a few more pics, like from a belt alignment perspective etc. Lets see how much clearance there is between the pulley and the pump. There is going to have to be leverage applied from behind near the shaft. Let's see what we have to work with.
Well, I'm packed up and cleaned up for the night, so I will take some photos tomorrow. There's not a lot of room back there, but more than usual, since the pulley is on backwards and therefore sitting 'forward' on the shaft more than normal.

I tried the gear puller, and yes, the pulley showed signs of bending at not much pressure - I was able to back off before doing any permanent damage. Right now I am thinking about making something out of strips of steel that can sit behind the pulley, that the gear puller can grab onto. Not sure it's a practical idea, though.

Alternately, is it possible to buy a new pulley? Does anyone know the part number, and if other Ford vehicles used the same pulley? If I have to go to a junkyard, it would be nice to know what other vehicles might be able to provide parts.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
I wouldn't count on an aftermarket pulley being available but instead trying to preserve the one you have or, having to scour the junk yards like you mentioned. You are packed up for the evening so maybe sleep on it. Have you considered putting the pump back on in order to remove the pulley with solid leverage?

Old 10-09-2016, 07:13 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Some projects are better left slept upon....have a good night, there's always tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If the pump is leaking it's probably because they drove the pulley on with a hammer. They would had to since they put it on backwards. Putting pressure on the pump shaft damages the pump.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM
MrFord619
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're gonna have to get creative to get that off. Is there any space in between the pulley and pump to get a sawzall blade? If you could saw the shaft off behind the pulley, you could use a large C clamp with a large ratchet socket on one side and press the shaft into the socket with the C clamp after soaking it in some PB Blaster. I hope I explained it well enough.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, shouldn't that shaft have a threaded hole in it, for the proper remove/install tool? Looks like a previous owner broke off a bolt in there. You MIGHT be able to cut a slot in it, or perhaps weld a nut to it (pump is shot anyway), and get it out. This will allow you to remove and re-use the pulley using the right tool. Otherwise I'd be scouring the boneyards, CL, and/or classifieds sections (part-outs) of the various truck forums.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The center of the pump shaft is threaded 3/8-16 for installing the pulley. The flange is only used for removal so it is entirely possible to put it on backwards and in your case this is exactly what they did. Those things are a tight pressed fit so unfortunately I don't see any way you'll ever get it off without cutting or bending the pulley.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Lots of good ideas here. Right now I'm soaking it in PB Blaster and periodically tapping on it with a hammer, maybe after another 24 hours or so I will try again to get it off.

In the meantime...does anyone know the part number for the pulley? I'm looking online for pulleys...haven't found anything for my specific application, but I've seen several that look like they might work. My pulley is 5-7/8" in diameter, and I believe the pump shaft is 11/16". Would this pulley on eBay work?

85 Ford F Truck 5 0 5 8 Power Steering Pump Pulley 5z A1A | eBay

Old 10-10-2016, 05:06 PM
kh0432
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with cutting the shaft off the pump but then press the shaft out of the pulley on a press. if you heat the pulley hub a little with a propane torch it will expand more than the shaft and come out easier. Whatever you do don't pry on the outside edge of the pulley. If you don't have access to a press you may be able to place the flange side on a socket and drive the shaft out with a large punch and hammer. That's last resort. I also couldn't find that an aftermarket one is available

Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ +1; if you cut the shaft off, then find one big socket just bigger than the shaft, for the central part of the pulley to sit on, then drive the shaft out using a vise as a press. But I'd still be tempted to try to get that broken-off bit of bolt (probably part of a misused puller tool) out of the shaft, then you've got good threads to use to remove it right.

Quick Reply: Is my power steering pulley on backwards?