1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Possible non-matching VINs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Guido95
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible non-matching VINs

Had a hunkering for an old pickup for a while, been scouring the usual places trying to find the diamond in the rough (can't afford a polished diamond at this point).

Recently found a 52 Ford, but I'm not sure of the specific model. Based upon the VIN of the truck, it's an F2. Here's where it gets whompy for me:

1) There's no plate in the glove box (I realize these disappear for multiple reasons)
2) The "official" VIN of the vehicle is a 4 inch piece of stamped metal (no picture) literally screwed into the firewall of the truck, right above where the steering column comes through. This was odd to me, but per the owner that was "it".

3) I didn't do my research in time before going out to know I could also possibly find the VIN stamped on the frame and I'm about 2 hours away from the vehicle now.

Owner claims to have been a barn find in NC, which he then brought to FL and got titled. Been using it for several years to haul wood.

Questions:

As long as I have a valid FL title, do I "care" if the frame stamping matches the one screwed into the firewall (and printed on title)?

I know in FL, if you try to register an out of state vehicle it has to be inspected to make sure the VIN matches, but the owner indicated his wife did the registration years ago and doesn't know if they even checked. But a FL to FL title transfer does not require an inspection. I guess it would only matter when / if I sold it?

Transmission was not synchronized, but I could get it to drive... He mentioned the rear end is geared for hauling, but the gears were "there" if I wanted to convert it for more general driving (highway driving above the current 45 top speed he says it gets) is this a thing? I imaged it would be an axle swap, but I have no experience on older vehicles.

Also, I've read the comment "widow maker wheels" several times related to older Ford trucks, but I don't know what they are. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The problem, if any, will be if and when you sell the truck. A knowledgable buyer will want to see the number as shown on the title match that on the frame. If you have a current valid title, you may be good so far as you owning the truck. The number on the frame should be somewhere on the top frame rail, area of the front axle, on the curb side.
That plate you mention does not sound correct at all. What are those numbers, letters?
Many pictures of and much written about the "widow makers" on here. Search is your friend. If you have a way to post pictures of your questionable areas it would help.
What area of FL are you, the truck located?
Edit: Are there any notes on the title that may indicate reconstructed or rebuilt, anything to justify that non stock ID plate?

Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
In reverse order. If it is an F-2 and has 16" wheels and tires, they are not widow makers, no 16" ever was. If it has 17" wheels, that's another matter. They are likely to have widow-maker Firestone RH-5° rims, and the truck might be an F-3.

If it is an F-2 or F-3 it came stock with a Timken split case rear axle. Stock gear ratio was 4.86/1. Optional was a 4.11/1, but they are rare. Reproduction sets are available from Chuck's Trucks in CT. Link below. An axle swap to an F-250 Dana 60 is also common. Google will give you lots to read about it.

I'll defer on Florida issues, but would be verifying the vin before money changed hands. At minimum a wrong vin would require a HUGE price discount assuming there would be hoops to jump through to set it straight.

You're right that the glove box plates go missing. But they can be replaced. No firewall plate was mounted in 1952, and certainly none would ever be located above the steering column. Stu

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Old 10-06-2016, 02:54 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
I'll defer on Florida issues, but would be verifying the vin before money changed hands. At minimum a wrong vin would require a HUGE price discount assuming there would be hoops to jump through to set it straight.

You're right that the glove box plates go missing. But they can be replaced. No firewall plate was mounted in 1952, and certainly none would ever be located above the steering column. Stu
Agreed. Even if there is no inspection to transfer title in FL, I would still verify the VIN before the purchase. The truck in question may have had a new VIN issued for a number of reasons, and that might explain the incorrect firewall tag. Personally, I would make sure the numbers matched before plunking down my hard earned cash.

As someone who looked for an Effie for a while, and passed over a few "red flag" candidates, I would advise patience in finding the right truck. It will come to you.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:29 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
How is it titled? Is it the original style serial # (for the VIN) or did the get a bonded title (new State issued VIN)?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Guido95
New User
Thanks for all of the responses. The VIN on the firewall was correct for the period F2D2LU????? It was a flat bed and the wheel base was huge, so I think it was originally an F5 /6 or something...

Anyway, I've decided not to go with it at this point and I will keep waiting for the right one. I appreciate all of the responses