6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Now what

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Havnfon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now what

My 14yo son and I have been driving gassers since he was born. We started enjoying the sounds of passing diesel turbo rigs. So we've been searching CL post for one fitting my budget. Well we came across this 04 f350, test drove it, & shared the same grin. So I worked out an agreement & placed a down payment. The truck has the 6.0l with 170,00. Seems that i should have read these threads prior to even before looking on Cl. After reading most of these threads on the 6.0 I fear I should back out. Seems that it's going to be nothing but misery.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:56 AM
rossterman
Senior User
They can bankrupt you or be reliable depending on your luck and how it was maintained. NEVER buy one without having a diesel mechanic very familiar with the 6.0 doing a complete inspection first. There is a ton of good info one here and the powerstroke forum to read up on that explain each years issues and fixes. Many like the 6.0s since they are pretty reliable once studs, egr, and oil cooler is done and they dont have all the additional smog stuff on the new ones.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!

Where you located? Got a picture of that beautiful rig?
If you can pull a wrench, that's most of the battle. You and your boy will have something to do together and enjoy the ride... most days!

You may have a member near you that can help with a gauge or two, give you some pointers and ease your mind. There are some great guys here, willing to help with knowledge and even turn wrenches when asked.

Welcome

Old 10-03-2016, 09:53 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
We'll it's a 12 year old truck it's going to need stuff count on it
Lol

Old 10-03-2016, 11:15 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need live data to review and specific work already done to it. As an early 6.0, the hpop is a weak point if not already replaced, besides the other basic issues so much of it said here on the forum such as oil cooler, egr, etc.
If the seller is legit, they will have that work info readily available, not to mention, a scanner or such over this period of time.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:32 PM
warnd4
Junior User
The 6.0L is a good engine if maintained well. My friend I was just like you, bought a "great deal" truck, and then learned of the 6.0L history. Do not fear ! Most or all problems have been identified and addressed. School up as fast as you can and learn the engine. Get a scanner like ScanGuage II (for $10 extra BulletProof Diesel.com sells them pre-configured for the 6.0L). Use this scanner to monitor your engine parameters like EOT(oil temp) and ECT(coolant temp).

Find out what your baseline temperatures are. Do you plan to tow with this truck ?
Read everything you can about fluids for the truck, oils and coolants, and you will be pointed in the right direction.

Like the guy says, if you can turn a wrench, and will do your own maintenance religiously, you will be ok.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Use coupon code TRT30 at Advance Auto and buy the Scan Gauge II on line and save $50. Do in store pick up and then watch You Tube to learn how to program the X-Gauge codes yourself.... first father-son project for the new truck!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Havnfon
New User
I/we passed on this unit. Was not studded. Had original hex head bolts. Thanks to what I read on here. I was this close to buying a potential multi thousand $ project.
We are still looking for our whistler tho

Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Studded is good but unless you know who did the job and did it right it makes no difference. I'd rather buy stock then do the work as needed and know it is right. Just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Studded or not... they can still have head gasket issues. Read the tech folder on buying a new truck. Purchase a scan gauge and use it to evaluate the purchase when shopping the potential new truck...so you know what you have. Maybe make a friend here and have a little help as well picking a truck... maybe have that friend show you what a good truck looks like and shows on a gauge, so when you find it, you'll know a good truck when you see it.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Havnfon
I/we passed on this unit. Was not studded. Had original hex head bolts. Thanks to what I read on here. I was this close to buying a potential multi thousand $ project.
We are still looking for our whistler tho
I agree with the others, knowing that a studded engine isn't a deal breaker. So much more to know and understand in making the "whistler" decision.
You'll see most of the guys here that run the stock tunes don't have head gasket issues. Six head bolts such as the 7.3l are better then the 6.0's four, however, I'm happy with the stock power and don't need that extra umph that many want.
Many things to consider. Get the truck records and live data, and read, read, and read here some more.
You'll find that pearl.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:57 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warnd4
The 6.0L is a good engine if maintained well. My friend I was just like you, bought a "great deal" truck, and then learned of the 6.0L history. Do not fear ! Most or all problems have been identified and addressed. School up as fast as you can and learn the engine. Get a scanner like ScanGuage II (for $10 extra BulletProof Diesel.com sells them pre-configured for the 6.0L). Use this scanner to monitor your engine parameters like EOT(oil temp) and ECT(coolant temp).

Find out what your baseline temperatures are. Do you plan to tow with this truck ?
Read everything you can about fluids for the truck, oils and coolants, and you will be pointed in the right direction.

Like the guy says, if you can turn a wrench, and will do your own maintenance religiously, you will be ok.
Plus one in having BulletProof SGII. I monitor engine coolant temp, engine oil temp, FICM voltage and transmission temperature or, yesterday it was boost. The first three are constant.

For comparison I had an EGR delete and new oil cooler and radiator installed for $2,500. My in laws have an 06 Tacoma that had a laundry list of things wrong and they spent $4,000 on fixing it.

When shopping, I was wanting a 6.8 gas or a new 2011 on with the 6.2 gas. They were impossible to find. Saw an 04, dad and two brothers had 04s and issues. I went with the an 06. The updates in 05 were another factor I liked. I love running down the road with it.