Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EGT's/Boost/MPG/1800 miles results loaded and unloaded

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
EGT's/Boost/MPG/1800 miles results loaded and unloaded

We drove from GA to WI this week to purchase a 5th wheel trailer that weighs in at 10K lbs dry. This was our first experience with a 5th wheel trailer and we were pleasantly surprised to find out that all the hype about pulling one compared to a travel trailer was TRUE! It was much, much easier, comfortable and safe to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

Now for the good stuff.

The trip was roughly 1800 miles round trip through the mountains of TN and NC. Some plains of IL and IN and various other terrain. Some major cities (never driving I94 in Chicago ever again in my life) and a lot of countryside views.

Headed north unloaded
MPG average 18.5
EGT 600-700 with very short spikes near 800-900 in mountains
Daily driver tune on GH Hydra

Headed south loaded
MPG average 12
EGT 750-850 with very short spikes near 950 and never went over 1000
Heavy tow tune on GH Hydra

Major modifications effecting the way the truck runs are 4/4 RiffRaff wheel, Gear Head Hydra, high flow turbo outlet, 4" MBRP, the usual stuff. This was on 243K mile stock injectors and recently rebuilt stock turbo (except for wheel and 360 bearing.

Keeping the RPM's high was key going through the mountains. The truck performed great and I was very proud of it. It almost makes me reconsider changing to 160/80 injectors and KC38R turbo, but I know the increase in fuel and air flow will only make it easier for the truck, so I will continue with my plans. The injectors are most definitely nearing the end of their life cycle anyway.

Pictures or it didn't happen right?

This is stopped somewhere in IL at a rest stop. We did not get rain until we got into the mid-west and did not stop getting rain until we were out of the mid-west. I was very happy to get back to sunshine and 80 degree weather in GA.

This is at Cove Lake state campground in TN. We stopped there for the night instead of a rest stop and enjoyed the south, life and the new trailer for the evening.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I would imagine that all of that makes you breathe a bit easier, eh? Congratulations, looks great.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Truck really did amazing and I only see it getting better when I get the OUO traction bars, Bilstein shocks and Air Lift bags installed.

I am very, very proud of my 16 year old beast of a truck.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Good stuff Sous! Tell me a little more about the TT vs. 5th wheel towing differences. We pull a 25'TT and it does well but I've always wondered about the 5th wheel.

As a call out, a friend of ours was in ~35mph head on collision (not their fault) this summer while towing their 5th wheel and the hitch was the style that bolted through the bed. The impact nearly tore the hitch completely out of the bed and could have sent the trailer into the cab where the kids were. Made me think that if I ever get a 5th wheel, I'll use the hitch style that mounts to the frame.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
We still have the TT, but will be selling it as soon as I get back from a temporary duty the third week of October. It is a 2008 Springdale 266RL and weighs in at just under 7,000 lbs dry. We have a very nice Reese WD hitch with the anti-sway like you see in the link below.

Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66084

The travel trailer did well for a travel trailer. The WD hitch is a MUST and I would not tow a TT without one of that size or weight. On dips in the roads like on over passes it would dip once and then even out. The side to side sway was not too bad from my perspective, until I realized how much a 5th wheel does not sway. The TT would move from side to side, even if it was a few inches up to a foot for big trucks or strong gusts of wind. I could feel the TT move even if a car went by on the interstate. My wife followed behind me in another vehicle one time for 2000 miles and said that it was a very scary thing to see knowing I was in the truck pulling it.

I didn't believe all of the 5th wheel hype either, until 30 minutes into our trip back home after hooking up the trailer. The 5th sways very, very little compared to the TT. The feels/seems to handle the weight of the 5th much better because of the over the axle hitch point instead of a foot behind the truck on the tongue. Even going 65 MPH down the interstate and get a tractor trailer passing you at 75+ MPH the 5th would move a bit, but not anything like what the TT would. I think that with a RedHead steering gear upgrade from the high mileage OEM gear this also would improve greatly. The experience of towing a 5th wheel trailer does hold up to the hype when talking about a 5th vs a TT.

As mentioned above, I think the handling will do even better with the modifications sitting on the garage floor. I just have to find the time to get the truck into the garage and get them installed.

I had not heard of a hitch breaking free during an accident, but it does seem to make sense. Although, our rails are mounted directly to the frame at several points and the bed has zero mounting points for hitch or rails.

I plan to upgrade the springs, axles and especially the drum electric brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer. That will help with long distance traveling that we plan to do.