2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

To Guys Towing 5th Wheel Trailers, a question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:33 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Guys Towing 5th Wheel Trailers, a question...

Maybe all you experienced 5th wheel guys can assist....I figure what better place to ask then the forum of Super Duty trucks.

5th wheel is obviously the way to go for a better and safer towing experience, having the weight directly over the axle, rather than the weight and pivot point at the receiver hitch.

Has anyone ever seen an RV Travel Trailer but with a 5th wheel hitch? I don't like 5th Wheel RVs because of the MASSIVE front portion of the camper hovering over the box. It's just a big air pusher. Yes, I understand that's free space the RV manufacturer uses over the pickup's box, and the overall truck/trailer is shorter than with a receiver-pull Travel Trailer. I just want a nice towable Travel Trailer but with the benefits of a 5th wheel hitch. For the visual think flat bed equipment trailer contractors use to haul their bobcat and backhoe, but in RV Travel Trailer format. Would be a better pull, better ride, better in cross winds, better with semis driving by. I know the Super Duty has trailer sway control, and I know it's difficult to push one of these trucks around, but peace of mind is something, right?

Thoughts?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're describing. Any of these close?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Well, not necessarily on a contractor trailer, but, yeah a Travel Trailer with a 5th wheel, like the last photo of the GMC truck. Interesting! So it can be done.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forest River makes a "Work and Play" line that includes 5th wheels. These roof lines do not step up at the truck like most other 5th wheels do.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Sco...8RLS-120519923

Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The older ones actually looked like race trailers converted to campers.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM
noimports
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly just research either ProPride or Hensley hitch. They run around $2200 and they make your travel trailer tow as nice as any fifth wheel. Then you can buy any travel trailer that suits you're fancy.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a Pro-pride and I can honestly it made a night and day difference in how the trailer pulled. It was well worth the money.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:13 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
they make low profile 5th wheels RVs

Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
Well, not necessarily on a contractor trailer, but, yeah a Travel Trailer with a 5th wheel, like the last photo of the GMC truck. Interesting! So it can be done.
The way you are using the words 5th wheel is a little confusing. The photo of the the GMC is a travel trailer mounted to a flat bed gooseneck trailer. So if you search for "Gooseneck travel trailer" then you are getting closer to what you're looking for.

I actually think there is a market for these kinds of setups. You get all the strength and control of a gooseneck setup with a travel trailer profile and extra trailer bed space for toys and such.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM
adbscu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe

if you are looking for a GN trailer with living spaces and some room to bring toys you can take a look at living Quarters horse trailers (stock types, 2016 merhow alum star)

They will be heavier than regular travel trailers....but also a lot stronger.

If you do look for them limit your search to stock types as you would not want the horse partitions (since they add weight an cost)

Old 02-17-2017, 06:06 PM
gary 5th wheel
Junior User
I gave up 5th wheel and got a travel trailer. I wanted to keep a camper top on my F350 crew short bed with a truck vault in it and could not do that and tow a 5th wheel. We ordered a 40 ft Jayco Eagle travel trailer and I was all set to order a Propride since I was sure it would be needed with such a large travel trailer and about 1300 lbs tongue weight. But the new travel trailer arrived surprisingly quickly and I had not ordered the Pripride yet. I had to tow it 60 miles home with just my Weigh Safe hitch--no weight distribution hitch and no sway control. I thought I would just take it easy on the drive home. Knock me over with a feather. At 65 to 70 on the interstate it towed level and with absolutely no sway even when I passed or was by by a semi. I may still eventually go for a Propride or something similar just for the safety margin. But I have to tell you I am not sure it is needed. I emailed etrailer and about the issue and they flat said that they doubted that I would need anything other than my Weigh Safe on a new 350 towing a 10,000 lb travel trailer.

I do have 16 inch tires and the trailer and I am sure that helps. So I am going to tow some more with my Weigh Safe before I decide. But I seriously doubt that you will be unhappy with the towing experience with a plain old regular hitch travel trailer.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Thumper911
Senior User
Originally Posted by gary 5th wheel
I gave up 5th wheel and got a travel trailer. I wanted to keep a camper top on my F350 crew short bed with a truck vault in it and could not do that and tow a 5th wheel. We ordered a 40 ft Jayco Eagle travel trailer and I was all set to order a Propride since I was sure it would be needed with such a large travel trailer and about 1300 lbs tongue weight. But the new travel trailer arrived surprisingly quickly and I had not ordered the Pripride yet. I had to tow it 60 miles home with just my Weigh Safe hitch--no weight distribution hitch and no sway control. I
thought I would just take it easy on the drive home. Knock me over with a feather. At 65 to 70 on the interstate it towed level and with absolutely no sway even when I passed or was by by a semi. I may still eventually go for a Propride or something similar just for the safety margin. But I have to tell you I am not sure it is needed. I emailed etrailer and about the issue and they flat said that they doubted that I would need anything other than my Weigh Safe on a new 350 towing a 10,000 lb travel trailer.

I do have 16 inch tires and the trailer and I am sure that helps. So I am going to tow some more with my Weigh Safe before I decide. But I seriously doubt that you will be unhappy with the towing experience with a plain old regular hitch travel trailer.
Facing the exact same issue. I already have a TT with Propride hitch assembled and it has been a dream for towing. I'm not sure I even know what a "white knuckle moment" is, since I started out towing with the hitch from day 1. Now, F350 is inbound and I'm wondering if I even need the hitch, and also, how does this hitch work with the weighsafe hitch? Just disregard and treat as any other hitch? Don't bother with the weight distribution jacks?? Use the jacks but not as much?? No flippin clue.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 PM
gary 5th wheel
Junior User
Well, goods news is that you have the truck, trailer, hitch and Propride so you will be able to try whatever you want. I sure don't see how using the Propride could hurt. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Originally Posted by camping nut
Awesome! Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: To Guys Towing 5th Wheel Trailers, a question...