P0455 EVAP Large Leak: After Vapor Canister Solenoid replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:25 AM
rogerranger2122
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0455 EVAP Large Leak: After Vapor Canister Solenoid replaced

anyone wanna take a crack at this?

2000 ford ranger 2 wheel drive 4.0 litre 6 cylinder 70,000 miles.

I originally had codes:
P1451 Evap Emessions Ctrl system vent Ctrl Cir
P0133 02 sensor Circuit Slow response bank 1 sensor 1
P0153 02 sensor circuit slow response bank 2 sensor 1
P0171 system too lean bank 1
P0174 System too lean bank 2
And no Pending codes.

I cleaned MAF sensor and the lean codes stayed gone after erasing all the codes with my code reader.
The 02 sensor codes went away also after I changed out all my 02s.
I replaced the Vapor Canister Solenoid and it cleared the p1451 code. I had no codes at this point but I had EVAP wasn't "ready" but still managed to pass NJ inspection like that. I'm good on inspection for a couple years but want to fix the problems I have now.

Now I have P0455 Evaporative Emessions System Leak Detected (Large Leak).
And the P0171 and P0174 are back.
no pending codes. EVAP and all systems are "ready".

The lean codes, I dunno, I gotta do some more tinkering. I already sprayed carb cleaner near the intake manifold and heard no change in rpms indicating a leaky gasket but that's not a %100 gasket test. I did a few other tests at the time but didn't check the idle air controll valve. Maybe I just need to clean my MAF sensor again AND change the air filter instead of just brushing it off. Possibly change the fuel filter as well. I dunno but it is very noticably running lean, the truck rumbles when first started up as if it's going to stall. It's been like that for the 2.5 years I've had it. In winter it sometimes stalls out when I come to a first stop.

I'm asking about the EVAP code. I never had that code until AFTER I changed the charcoal Vapor Canister Solenoid. Do you think I should change the whole canister, and/or the EVAP purge valve? One good clue I think is that when I'm almost out of gas and filling up, the gas station's hose shuts off as if the tank is full. The guy there said it's because there's air backed up in the tank system. I still have to check all the rubber lines for the evap system but I'm thinking they'll be ok. I changed out the fuel filler neck where the gas lines connect before I had all the first set of codes (and connected them tightly with hose clamps so I don't think it's the filler neck), and I just got a new gas tank cap. I didn't install the gas tank cap yet though but I doubt it's that because of the gas station pump triggering full (from air) when the tank has no gas.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 AM
vicv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have an air leak. This would be unmetered air coming in after the MAF sensor. This would cause the lean codes because the fuel mixture would be "diluted" or leaned out due to the extra air entering the system. The rough idle would also indicate to me an air leak. I had a small EVAP air leak, I forget the code it was a while ago, in the filler neck on my old Explorer, it was a little rusty. Enough to have pinhole leaks. I changed that and the code went away.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
You've been busy on this puppy.
Good idea to have scanned & posted the trouble code clues & the items you've replaced.
Sounds like you may have more than one problem remaining.
I'd install the new fuel cap & I hope it's the specified Motorcraft replacement, as it's supposed to control vent the fuel tank, to keep the vapor recovery system happy.
Not certain what's going on with the fuel fill & it backing up, but sounds like something is wrong with the inner fill tube liner, that's restricting it's ID.
If you've over tightened the hose clamps, you may have collapsed some connecting tubing, or hose & caused a leak in the evap system, or a restriction problem in the fill tubing. Think back to what was done when & in what sequence the codes came & carefully review the work that was done just before hand.
Keep in mind that the trouble code numbering system is structured such that we're supposed to work & put right the Lowest trouble code numbers First & work our way up the list. So rescan & post up the remaining code Numbers.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.