Yet... Still a ticking from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 PM
zauss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Yet... Still a ticking from under the hood

Good day everyone... I'm new here but not to Fords. This may be a little long but I'm very frustrated!!!

About 1-1/2 weeks ago I traded in my 1999 F-150 4.6 with 100k miles for a 2000 Expy 5.4 with 21k miles. Truck looks great! While driving the Expy home from the used car dealer I noticed a ticking type sound coming from the engine when I would get on the gas. My F-150 with 100k didn't make this sound. At first I thought this is how the 5.4 engine sounds. After 3 days of driving I realized this can't be correct. Last Friday I took the truck to the large used car dealer where I bought the truck and the service writer went on a test drive with me. He confirmed the ticking sound and even drove another Expy that was on the lot to make sure the sound was normal or not. The other Expy purred like a kitten. The next day I called the service dude and asked where they were at with my truck. He told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it and FORD said it was normal engine sound! I was shocked!!! After sitting down I said that I would need it in writting from ford that the ticking noise is normal. The service guy then said ford never looked at the truck and that the used car lot only called to describe the noise. WHAT THE HECK! I was hot! I called to speek to a manager at the used car lot and demanded they take the truck to ford. They did. Ford said that the sound was NOT normal and it was most likely a blown plug or manifold gasket. The used car lot took the truck back from ford and changed all 8 plugs so they wouldn't have to pay Ford. I was hopefull this was the cause of the ticking as they said one was loose. They started it up and took for a drive and the sound is still there!!! So I got 8 new plugs but the sound is still there. They still have the truck and are going to look at other options tomorrow. So that's where I stand....

Just needed to vent!

Oh, does anyone have any ideas on what this loud ticking type noise is when on the gas. (It's not the fuel injectors...)

Thanks a bunch
Peace

Last edited by zauss; 08-21-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:29 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the oil pressure? I wouldnt put up with that bull, It is probably valve train noise. and should be fixed under warranty.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:39 AM
zauss
New User

the oil pressure is normal. I'll mention the valve train to them today. Is it poss. the sound could be coming from the tranny? I hear the sound inside the cab when all windows are up and the radio is off. Sounds loudest coming from the upper drivers side dash area / engine.

Thanks...

Old 08-23-2003, 10:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts

Sounds like an exhaust leak, probably right at the manifold, hence "blown plug or manifold gasket" diagnosis from Ford. Use a length of rubber hose held to your ear to find the noise.

The question is why does it need an exhaust manifold gasket? Does the motor look original?

ak

Old 08-23-2003, 02:01 PM
jdb4
New User

I have a 2003 Supercrew 5.4 with the same problem. The truck has 5,000 miles on it. The dealer agrees that the ticking noise is not normal, but they don't know what is causing it. They drove another truck for comparison and it did not make the ticking sound. I think they are planning to get a Ford field engineer in to help with the problem. If corrected, I will leet you know what was done.

Old 08-23-2003, 04:56 PM
zauss
New User

Well... Last Friday the used car lot took the truchk to Ford. Everyone at the used car lot agrees that the sound is not normal. I guess I wait and see what Ford has to say this coming Monday. I'm frustrated to the max as I purchased this Expy 2 weeks ago and it's been in the shop for 1 week! I'm going to refuse to take the truck as it sounds if not fixed. There's no way I'm spending this kind of money on a faulty engine. Anyway, I'll let everyone know of the outcome Monday night.

Thanks for your replies...

Old 08-23-2003, 09:48 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru

Ticking noises are hard to diagnose, five thousands of an inch wear on a cam lobe will cause a tick, It may require a complete tear down of a motor. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:26 PM
krewat
Site Administrator

Still sounds like an exhaust leak.

Notice he said that it's only there when he's on the gas. That can't be a valve train noise. The valve train doesn't do anything different whether you are on or off the gas.

If it's there only when you're on the gas, it HAS to be an exhaust or spark plug leak. Since they did the plugs, that's probably not it. It HAS to be an exhaust leak.

Or, a wrist pin let go, but that's not very probable. It would tick loudly, and sometimes when you come OFF the gas. If it sounds like it's coming from behind the dash, I'll bet it's an exhaust manifold leak.

Hang in there, and start saying you want your money back. Otherwise, I can safely say, ignore others who say "valve train". It can't be if it's only when you're on the gas.

ak

Old 08-24-2003, 05:34 PM
zauss
New User

Thanks Krewat... The sound is only heard when on the gas. The more on the gas the louder the ticking type noise. It sounds like some sort of an exhaust leak to me! The Ford techs are going to look at it Monday. I'll post Monday night to update.

I'll also be talking to the Sales Manager about my money back if the truck is not fixed by the end of the week!

Old 08-24-2003, 08:29 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru

My 460 ticks when I push on the gas and it isnt a exhaust leak. could be a loose wrist pin or bad exhaust valve

Old 08-24-2003, 10:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator

Originally posted by c_rossman
My 460 ticks when I push on the gas and it isnt a exhaust leak. could be a loose wrist pin or bad exhaust valve
\

You usually wouldn't hear a tick from an exhaust valve leaking. You would hear a flutter or pop in the exhaust because of the excess fuel getting into the exhaust during the compression stroke, and being combusted after the fact.

Bad wrist pin, yes... or at least, the circlip holding the wrist pin in the piston is gone... not sure if a 460 is a full-float wrist pin...

Usually, you will hear a wrist pin while on the gas, AND just as you let off, kind of a rattle sound.

ak

Old 08-24-2003, 10:48 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like an exhause leak to me too, either at the manifold to head or manifold to pipe connection. I have heard of exhaust bolts breaking on these engines and that will cause a leak.
Jimmy

Old 08-25-2003, 08:04 PM
zauss
New User

Well guys.... The drama continues... I called the used car lot today to check status of the Expy. The used car lot told me that the Ford dealer could not find anything wrong with the truck and said that the noise I heard was NORMAL. I was hot yet again. After talking to the Operations Manager at the used car lot he said they were going to get the truck back from Ford and have me drive it. If the noise was still there they agreed to trade my Expy for another of my liking on there lot. I agreed to test drive my Expy and told the manager that we'd go from there. Just as I hung up the phone the Ford dealer called me and said they NOW here the noise and that it's NOT normal. I told them they have one more day to diagnose the problem. If Ford cant find the problem by the end of the day tomorrow I'll be back on the phone with the Operations Manager from the used car lot looking for answers.

So... the saga continues... I think I could write a book about the last 2 weeks!

Tune in tomorrow for the latest....
Peace

Old 08-25-2003, 08:25 PM
jdb4
New User

Zauss, I know it's frustrating. I talked to the dealer about my '03 Supercrew last Friday and the shop foreman said they are "grinding" at it and researching to try and determine the problem. In a few more days, I'll call him again. As far as I'm concerned, if it can be fixed we are headed for a buy back. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:10 AM
ppo2
Senior User

morning everyone,

I read and re-read these posts with interest. I have a 99 XLT 4x4 with 123,000 miles. Everything's fine until a month ago I hear this ticking sound - then I come across this post. Great input everyone!

So I called my local Ford Truck dealership and went through what these posts indicated and since I also now have this "ticking" sound. The mechanic tells me that 9 out of 10 it's a bolt that's rusted out that holds the exhaust manifold in place. Worst case, 8-10 hours worth of work at around $500 - WHAT!!! He explains if the bolts rusted out, they're gonna have to open the head to get to it. I know you're losing some horses/torque from the leak but is it worth getting it fixed or will it eventually do major damage to the engine assuming it's an exhaust leak

I've had my local Ford dealership ran diagnostics on my truck before and found no problems and they did not charge me at all. I trust these guys - so far they've been right on the mark.

Drive Safe,
Dan

"Men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better
off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." -- Lloyd James

Quick Reply: Yet... Still a ticking from under the hood