2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2017 Expedition 22" v. 20" Wheels...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 PM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the 18 expy 22s look gorgeous and a bit lighter so thatll be interesting. still hoping ccd is offered as an option with 20s or even 18s lol. does anyone know if lls is softer or firmer than the base set up?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:20 PM
johnkn
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How would you really know if a bunch of us give you our opinions, Please drive one. I have CCD on mine and really like it. I keep it in normal mode most of the time. I personally find the soft setting too soft and wallowly (is that a word LOL). When I travel twisty highways like when I drive 400 miles to Erie, PA to fish I switch it to the firmest mode, makes it more reassuring taking those twisty turnpike roads at 82 mph with the cruise control enabled.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 AM
dlcorbett
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there are none in my immediate area that has the lls option. ive driven the ones equippes with and without the ccd, but the ones ive driven with the base setup werent equipped with lls. its crazy how each setup gives you a completely different drive experience. i agree with you, the comfort mode is strictly for Highway use. other wise its a tad too soft, normal mode is soft enough but all modes are extrmely insulated which is good. i took my wife on a drive finally, she even commented that its way better than my dads escalade but she cant get over the price of these trucks brand new(me neither) lol. she told me wait until 18s come out before anything but im still lookin lol.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM
kekman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, new to the site and appreciated the comments. This is one subject, that unless you test your vehicles on a test track with washboards, J maneuvers, etc and measure with appropriate accelerameters-> there is no correct answer. It is subjective and to the personal taste of the individual. My wife and I purchased a 2017 Expy Limited with 22" wheels & CCD suspension. We were looking for over 4 months and test drove just about everything out there including XLT's with 18" wheel LL suspension, 20" Limiteds, 22" Platinums, Jeep Grand Cherokees, GMC Denalti's, Tahoe LTZ's etc.

Here is my "instrumentation": my wife has severe case of fibromyalgia with a degenerative spine condition. She is sensitive to every crack in the road. We use to have a Grand Marque built on a limousine chassis with air ride. She kept that "blue hair" special until my son last year decided to go though the woods one day and destroyed. it. He walked away from it with hardly a scratch- best car ever built for ride and reliability. So finding a very good ride to tow the boat and grandkids was a challenge as we gave him our Grand Cherokee which we used to tow the boat.

The Limited with 22" wheel & CCD in Comfort mode is by far the best ride out there. However, as stated, it has its problems around town and wants to wonder a bit. The CCD does a excellent job of dampening the ride. I get absolutely no complaints from my wife. However, when she is not in the car, I switch to sport mode to have the tighter ride around town. On highway without her I use normal or comfort mode.

I tow a 23.5' Glastron boat all over Eastern US. So far no problems with height, hitch load, or towing on highway in Comfort mode. Once off highway, I switch it to normal for around town driving with boat- even if she is in the car. Handles and rides great.

Just my opinion, but we were surprised of this good of a ride out of 22" wheels. It was a CPO vehicle so did not have much choice on wheels. However, we also had them switch out tires with new Firestone Destiny LE2 tires which also made a little difference. Her comment is that it rides better than the "blue hair special".

Old 04-12-2018, 06:59 AM
kekman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B-McD
I don't think the CCD does any type of leveling. I pull a 30' camper with about 700 lbs of tongue weight. It drops the backend about an inch with an Equalizer WD hitch setup. The 3.5 turbo gets that trailer up and moving very nicely. I can do 65-70 mph all day - no sway at all. Good luck!
Did you drive it for 5 miles like the Owner's manual states then check? Mine does samething with about 550lbs tonque weight. But after you drive it and rechceck, it does come up about 50%- not always up but emough not to worry.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM
B-McD
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have the auto leveling suspension if it does that. CCD does not auto level, as it only changes the firmness/softness of the ride. Per the marketing hype online: A suite of electronic sensors continuously monitors 46 unique suspension, steering, braking and body motions, processing data hundreds of times per second. The damping system responds in milliseconds to help keep you confidently in control. I have tried all three settings when towing and NORMAL seems to be the best.