2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Backup Key - Want to have a 'spare'. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In regards to the OP, I did get a third key. My main reason was the fact that if you want to program a new key yourself, you have to have two keys. So if I only have two keys to begin with and lose one, I'm out for a new key plus programming. The dealers around here want $300 for that. I checked with the locksmith where I had my third key cut and he would charge $175 (he said he charges more for the new F-150 type keys. I don't know why).

For the OP, you can order a blank key on the Internet, but it doesn't hurt to check with a local locksmith first. My locksmith charged me more for the key, but then he cut it for free, so it was a wash on getting it locally vs buying online. Plus buying from him, he walked out to my truck with me to ensure the key fit, plus waited till I programmed it to make sure everything worked right.

So for me, it was economy as much as anything else. I really miss the days of plain old keys, as I always like to hide a key somewhere, and all the ginormous ITK keys make that difficult. Forget about a wallet key. Though I guess if you have pushbutton start, there is a skinny key hidden in the transponder that I guess you could copy and put in your wallet or wherever.

For my truck, I do in fact hide a key in the cab, where it would actually take me a little while to get to it, so I figure that's as safe from thieves as I can get. That way if I lose my everyday key when I'm away from home, I just open the truck via the keypad and retrieve the hidden key. Then I'm only out ~$80 or so for a new key. Otherwise if a key is lost far away from home, you have the cost of either a tow to a dealer or locksmith, or else if you're lucky and there's one close by, the service call from a mobile locksmith with the proper equipment. Either way probably close to the $300 you'd pay for a key from the dealer.

On a side note, that darn door keypad is a lifesaver that I've used on more than one bonehead move occasion. I really wish all manufacturers would standardize that. Kudos to Ford.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
The new keys are side cut keys, much harder to cut. My truck is button start but I have a spare side cut key to use on the Bolt cable locks that secure my ramps in the bed. since the dealer gave me those I went ahead and bought one for my hitch pin as well. I carry my fob and 2 keys! All the rest I need are in the console. Mom's house, Daughters house etc.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Buzzard_Wing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely some interesting comments and useful solutions.

The keypad entry really solves a lot of potential problems, especially locking the keys in the truck. There is a recent story of a family member who was faced with a situation where the car is locked (not sure how) and her two small children are in the car..... but she does not know the code. Yikes!! Bet she knows it now!

I will go with the factory code, because the ones you set can be reset and if you don't know the OEM code after that you are stuck. Setting a code is a good way to give someone access that you can 'revoke' by resetting (reset, resets ALL). My 1986 Lincoln had the keypad and the code was in the trunk. I was amazed that all the technology in that car still worked fine nearly 20 years later. The headlights would dim themselves. Gives me confidence in the technology in the 2016 truck. Quite a leap from the 2001 XL Super Duty!

Good to know that you can get a key cut.

The best answer is to hide the second key somewhere in the cab. There is no shortage of hidey-holes. The old truck didn't even have a pocket in the doors, this one has 3 or so.

Thanks so much for the interesting conversations and solutions.