Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

351M weak Fuel delivery

Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 PM
winginit
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
351M weak Fuel delivery

engine is running sluggish , i have a clear fuel filter before the carb the gas is not even filling the filter 1/4 full.

a few weeks ago i changed the fuel pump and still the same problem today,
at increased RPM the engine is starved for gas ( I THINK )

i remember the filter being almost fuel when running and the engine ran good.

Is it possible the lobe the pump runs off of is worn and the pump is not moving and pumping enough ? Any advise would be great.

the truck is a 74 the engine is a transplant an has pertronix ignition.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by winginit
engine is running sluggish , i have a clear fuel filter before the carb the gas is not even filling the filter 1/4 full.

a few weeks ago i changed the fuel pump and still the same problem today,
at increased RPM the engine is starved for gas ( I THINK )

i remember the filter being almost fuel when running and the engine ran good.

Is it possible the lobe the pump runs off of is worn and the pump is not moving and pumping enough ? Any advise would be great.

the truck is a 74 the engine is a transplant an has pertronix ignition.

Thanks
If your sure the carb isn't even 1/4 full. You may need to adjust the float in the carb

Unk Bob

Old 09-12-2016, 07:22 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
If your sure the carb isn't even 1/4 full. You may need to adjust the float in the carb

Unk Bob
Not the carb. The fuel filter is not filling , maybe the pick up in the tank is clogging up, thoughts ?? Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by winginit
Not the carb. The fuel filter is not filling , maybe the pick up in the tank is clogging up, thoughts ?? Thanks
Could be a clogged fuel filter, even a bad fuel line that is sucking air instead of pulling fuel to the carb.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,271 Likes on 2,432 Posts
See how it runs off a 2.5 or 5 gal gas can setting on the ground (under the fuel pump) or on the fender to trouble shoot the fuel pump. Some times the fuel filter will not fill up all the way, just the inner filter part will be wet or when the pump pushed fuel it will surge in the filter.

And then put a little LOW pressure air back down the fuel line towards the tank. LOW PRESSURE to clean off the pick up tube sock filter. Also insp any and all rubber flex fuel lines for dry rot. Should only have 3, tank sending unit to solid line on frame, solid line to fuel pump in eng compartment and silid line to rubber on each side of your filter to the carb.

Have you replaced the accelerator pump on the carb? Any other inline fuel filter you missed? Maybe down along the frame rail?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
See how it runs off a 2.5 or 5 gal gas can setting on the ground (under the fuel pump) or on the fender to trouble shoot the fuel pump. Some times the fuel filter will not fill up all the way, just the inner filter part will be wet or when the pump pushed fuel it will surge in the filter.

And then put a little LOW pressure air back down the fuel line towards the tank. LOW PRESSURE to clean off the pick up tube sock filter. Also insp any and all rubber flex fuel lines for dry rot. Should only have 3, tank sending unit to solid line on frame, solid line to fuel pump in eng compartment and silid line to rubber on each side of your filter to the carb.

Have you replaced the accelerator pump on the carb? Any other inline fuel filter you missed? Maybe down along the frame rail?
Thanks. All great advice. I will look at it closer. I did change the filter between the pump and carb I installed it a couple years ago. The carb was a rebuilt 3 years ago. The truck is a 74 f350 car carrier I don't drive it everyday, I thought the new pump fixed it. But today a hauled a old truck and was fuel starved up hill and taking off. I am sure it's not timing.

I remember the fuel pump would be nice and full of gas wile running. Something with the fuel has changed. The tank is in can behind the seat. Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250

Thanks. All great advice. I will look at it closer. I did change the filter between the pump and carb I installed it a couple years ago. The carb was a rebuilt 3 years ago. The truck is a 74 f350 car carrier I don't drive it everyday, I thought the new pump fixed it. But today a hauled a old truck and was fuel starved up hill and taking off. I am sure it's not timing.

I remember the fuel pump would be nice and full of gas wile running. Some with the fuel has changed. The tank is in cab behind the seat. Thanks

Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,271 Likes on 2,432 Posts
At least an in cab tank sending unit is way easier to access. But I believe they can be a hard to get replacement item?

Maybe try adding an electric fuel pump with a manually adjustable fuel regulator?