General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Where to work if I want advancement opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytasch
I have friends who own a roofing company. He sells the jobs and she oversees the daily office operations. They have a dozen or more crews out daily. They tell me that if a guy shows up for work, can pass a drug test, has a driver license, he will be a crew leader in short order.
The company I work for is so small that there's about 5-6 workers including me and the boss, so that's not much of an opportunity, sadly.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:35 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
rule #1. it's above all others.you've heard it before but if you've never felt it,your wasting your life away.its.........

find something you love and never work another day in your life.

at age 19,don't be afraid to try different things.don't focus much about the income.focus on the outgoing and learn to live light.it's not about what you earn.it's all about what you save.don't let money lead you.lead money.money doesn't bring people happiness.money is simply a necessary evil.find something you love doing,so long as it's enough to live on,and you'll find true success.success and happiness doesn't come in any form of money or any other outside source.it comes from within.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
At age 19,don't be afraid to try different things.don't focus much about the income.focus on the outgoing and learn to live light.it's not about what you earn.it's all about what you save.don't let money lead you.lead money.money doesn't bring people happiness.money is simply a necessary evil.find something you love doing,so long as it's enough to live on,and you'll find true success.success and happiness doesn't come in any form of money or any other outside source.it comes from within.
Good advice! I'd disagree with the "find something you love" part at least somewhat. It's nice if it happens, I suppose. But not very realistic. Plenty of unemployed people have degrees in something they love, or PhD holders slinging coffee or driving a bus. A better approach, to business is find a need or a product that isn't being met and find a way to provide it. It may not necessarily be something we "love", but people have become very wealthy this way. Schooling and education doesn't really factor into this either.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I'd disagree with the "find something you love" part at least somewhat. It's nice if it happens, I suppose. But not very realistic.
that's why your working for money instead of yourself.living your dreams is realistic.there is no suppose about it.there is only absolutely.any other mindset and you'll never live out your dreams.

Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I have to ask, why the hell would you want to work hard the rest of your life?
i read this last night and i'v been thinking about it all day.the best way i (though you didn't ask me lol) can answer than question is to repose it you by asking,why the hell wouldn't you?

some of us prefer working very hard.it gives us a great sense of purpose and achievement at the end of the day.we stay in great shape and don't need to visit the doctor as much as someone who sets behind a desk all day.we live longer.who doesn't want to live longer and healthier?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that's why your working for money instead of yourself.living your dreams is realistic.
You don't know anything about me, so don't try to tell me what I'm doing, or not doing. Thanks.

My point is "doing what you love" is not necessarily realistic, if someone can make that happen and make a living at it, that's great, but dreams don't pay the bills.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys, let's calm down please. I dont want to start any fights here, if possible!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:32 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
What do you like to do? On weekends, what do you do in your free time? When with friends or family, what makes you smile?

There are many industries linked to what you like to do, what ever it is. Which then keeps you involved in what you like to do. You may need to move to an area that gives more opportunity in what you like. And don't take education off the table.

Here is a question for you. How do you handle your cerebral palsy? Meaning, are there things you do therapy wise? Could you be one to help others with this? I just did a quick search of how many people have cerebral palsy, I was stunned to see the numbers.

Maybe, just throwing this out there, looking into school to become a physical therapist specializing in cerebral palsy? There could be opportunities for financial help for costs.

Wish you all the best.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tedster9
You don't know anything about me, so don't try to tell me what I'm doing, or not doing. Thanks.

My point is "doing what you love" is not necessarily realistic, if someone can make that happen and make a living at it, that's great, but dreams don't pay the bills.
please excuse me.im sorry,man,that wasn't very clear of me.i wasn't talking about you.i was talking about the mindset you were speaking of.
rather than stated shorthand ; that's why your working for money instead of yourself.i should of stated; those following your advice would then be working for money first,rather than themselves.

i do understand your point though,however i respectfully disagree with it.
(which is the reason i live my life doing what i love.the money is just a necessary side effect.i manage it well and set aside what i need for old age and all,don't get me wrong.it just doesn't come first.)