General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Where to work if I want advancement opportunities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:04 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I got done with my first day at work.

8-4:10, 30 minute lunch, about 10x more enjoyable than bagging.

It's brutal work, foot wise. my feet are on fire and will be for a while but it's pays better and is more interesting.

I just did some shingle tossing and cleaning up, stuff like that.

The two part-owners said they appreciate my drive and work ethic and that I should come back in the mornin.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:25 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,289 Likes on 2,286 Posts
well, being asked to come back is a start.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:27 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, being asked to come back is a start.
Definitely. I'm hoping I don't get fired because then I'll think I'm really worthless.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
heavy physical labor is not for everyone.
when i ran the body shop i would get 20 guys apply for every one i kept.
most would walk out at lunch time to never bee seen again after being asked to sand a car.
it seems easy until you try it and realize it ain't. after about an hour or two your arm gets so sore it feels like it is going to fall off.
if you do your best, and keep up without complaining, they will have no reason to tell you not to come back.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
It's tough to make this as a recommendation given the state of things these days (without getting political) but the military historically has outstanding opportunities for advancement, there is no other "employer" where in a matter of months you could have responsibilities for millions and millions of dollars worth of equipment, and work ethic has a direct relationship to advancement. It's not for everybody tho really can be a career builder and stepping stone to a civilian career. Medical fields, avionics, diesel repair ...

Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
It's tough to make this as a recommendation given the state of things these days (without getting political) but the military traditionally has outstanding opportunities for advancement, there is no other "employer" where in a matter of months you can have responsibilities for millions of dollars worth of equipment, and work ethic has a direct relationship to advancement. It's not for everybody, but it really can be a career builder and stepping stone to a civilian career. Medical fields, avionics, diesel repair ...
I tried to join the military, they won't take me due to my medical history. I have cerebral palsy.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Still haven't been fired. Today we finished up what is my first roofing job.

It's hard to carry 60 lbs bundles of shingles down a ladder but I managed.

I'm scared I'll get fired because today, I was really fatigued and I was doing as best I could, but they could tell I was moving a bit slower than before.

They told me they'll text me the job site tonight

Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
It's important to learn to pace yourself, remember the the story of the turtle and the hare? Used to climb the trail up to the "M" and top of Mt. Jumbo every other day or so, one time there was this "old guy" of probably 70 or so. What's he gonna do, I remember thinking. He kicked my *** that's what he did. He didn't walk very fast but he didn't have to stop every few hundred feet either.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:58 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
It's important to learn to pace yourself, remember the the story of the turtle and the hare? Used to climb the trail up to the "M" and top of Mt. Jumbo every other day or so, one time there was this "old guy" of probably 70 or so. What's he gonna do, I remember thinking. He kicked my *** that's what he did. He didn't walk very fast but he didn't have to stop every few hundred feet either.
God, I love that you continually reference Missoula when talking to me, haha. I made it up to the M, once when I visited last July. I made it up there and basically died of Altitude sickness up there, I come from a city that's 500 FT above sea level so it was a huge change and I nearly coughed up a lung.

You think they know that I'm so slow right now because it's new for me?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i am sure they see that. you were honest with them and told them you did not know, but wanted to learn, rite??
i bet they are sitting at the bar saying "damn i wish we could find 4 more guys like that Ben feller, he is giving it his all and just don't back down!!!"

Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
You think they know that I'm so slow right now because it's new for me?
What I'm saying is that stuff will catch up to ya. Not right now or even in a couple years, but it's cumulative, repetitive. Can't afford to get hurt, either. Not telling you to work "slow", just the need to set your pace early so that you can continue to do the work hour after hour, day after day etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,250 Likes on 821 Posts
I was going to suggest that you apply for the USPS as a letter carrier. I've been doing it for 11 years now and it's tough but the pay and bennies are great.

However, you mentioned your condition of CP and I'm not sure that you'd be a candidate. With that said, I'm no doctor so I recommend that you give it a shot.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i am sure they see that. you were honest with them and told them you did not know, but wanted to learn, rite??
i bet they are sitting at the bar saying "damn i wish we could find 4 more guys like that Ben feller, he is giving it his all and just don't back down!!!"
Yup, I told them I took the job because I know it's damned hard work but I want to learn something that will allow me to actually make enough to live off of, not bag groceries my whole life!
What I'm saying is that stuff will catch up to ya. Not right now or even in a couple years, but it's cumulative, repetitive. Can't afford to get hurt, either. Not telling you to work "slow", just the need to set your pace early so that you can continue to do the work hour after hour, day after day etc.
That's what I do!

Originally Posted by tseekins
I was going to suggest that you apply for the USPS as a letter carrier. I've been doing it for 11 years now and it's tough but the pay and bennies are great.

However, you mentioned your condition of CP and I'm not sure that you'd be a candidate. With that said, I'm no doctor so I recommend that you give it a shot.
I have CP, but no average person would be able to deduce that haha. I just seen a bit clumsy!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Roofing is a great experience for a young man, but not a career option in my opinion. Work your butt off to make a living right now, but if school isn't a option, my advise is find a factory job that has an apprenticeship program. Get your foot in the door at the factory, then get in the apprenticeship program for maintenance. Then you have something on your resume that can get you a job about anywhere. I didn't go through an apprenticeship, but with years in construction, I was able to pass the top rate test for a crafts position in construction, buildings and grounds. I love my job, and it comes with above average pay for hourly factory workers with great benefits, a pension, and all the optional overtime I can handle. I'm not going to get rich here, but I provide an enjoyable living for my family. If I wanted to advance, I could move to salary and work my way up, but it's honestly becoming hard to make it past a floor supervisor without a business or engineering degree, but it still happens from time to time. And with overtime, I'm able to earn substantially more than most floor supervisors.

Much respect for not letting your disability be an excuse for laziness! I had a cousin with a very severe case of CP, and it wasn't until my wife worked at a CP center as a care giver that I realized that there is a broad spectrum of the disease. Much like there is a spectrum for autism that my son has. Most people would never know he is autistic, but they don't see his struggles everyday either.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:12 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Been reading this thread. First, hats off to you for asking for advice and DOING something to help yourself. Here is my two cents: Find an industrial manufacturing business that has a maintenance department. They love to get young guys that are just starting out. Easier to train to their standards. Learn all you can about mechanics and electrical. After getting established at this place, go back to school and finish your education. One bad thing about construction is the seasonal work that affects most. Unless you are a craftsman or run the company, you may be out of work when inclement weather sets in. I work in Biotech and it is a great job. If there is Biotech near your location, look over there.

Quick Reply: Where to work if I want advancement opportunities?