Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf spring rebuild parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaf spring rebuild parts

I have a 92 F150, XLT 302 cu in, 4WD.
My hangers were disintegrating so I bought all new hangers for the leaf springs and I figured I would buy new leaf springs too. But the question is should I buy new parts that go under the leaf spring and attach it to the axle (U-bolts, spacers,etc) What are these parts called?

I was wondering if these parts under the leaf spring get fatigued or not.

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've always thought it was a good idea to install new u bolts with new springs. Not that expensive.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
They're called Shackles

Thanks Big_A159. I think I will follow your advice.

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 02:16 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by fightlivefree
My hangers were disintegrating so I bought all new hangers for the leaf springs and I figured I would buy new leaf springs too. But the question is should I buy new parts that go under the leaf spring and attach it to the axle (U-bolts, spacers,etc) What are these parts called?

Regards,
Larry
They're not torqued to yield so there's technically no reason to do so. The vast majority of problems with U bolts come from people not torquing them down properly in one way or another. Setting the impact to kill and going around once isn't proper even if you can get away with it.

Replace the U bolts if it helps you sleep better at night.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:55 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
I-bolts/spacer

Yeah, you're probably right, but the problem is I can't find anybody who sells replacement parts. I tried doorman and they don't seem to make them. I tried a few other places to no avail. If they're cheap and available I'll replace them.

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right, but the problem is I can't find anybody who sells replacement parts. I tried doorman and they don't seem to make them. I tried a few other places to no avail. If they're cheap and available I'll replace them.

Regards,
Larry
U bolts are usually sold by dimension, not application. Measure your U bolts. IIRC the tube is 3-1/2" and the thread is 1/2-20 fine thread.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Wheelman55
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try these guys. I got replacement u-bolts for my Ride-rite airbags from them.

U-Bolts, Leaf Spring UBolts for Truck Suspension

Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
U-bolts

Originally Posted by arse_sidewards
U bolts are usually sold by dimension, not application. Measure your U bolts. IIRC the tube is 3-1/2" and the thread is 1/2-20 fine thread.

OK, will do. I guess I can keep the spacer between the axle and the leaf spring.

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 06:35 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
U-Bolds

Originally Posted by Wheelman55
Try these guys. I got replacement u-bolts for my Ride-rite airbags from them.

U-Bolts, Leaf Spring UBolts for Truck Suspension
Hey, Wheelman55, thanks a lot.
I will order some from the link.

I'm restoring my truck one part at a time.....

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Regards,
Larry
I'm a bit confused. You bought new "hangers"? By hangers you mean the frame brackets or shackles?

Then you want to know if you should buy new parts that go under/attach the axle to the spring (shims and u-bolts) and then ask if that is what they are called? Yes the u-bolts hold the axle to the spring. Your title in post #3 says they are called shackles. What is called shackles? That is not what hold the axle to the spring but then thank Big Al for his answer. Shackles hold the spring eye to the spring hanger.

Sorry but I'm just trying to figure out what you are asking.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:28 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Leaf spring hangers/supports/fittings

My4Fordtrucks, by hangers, that's what all the part stores call the sheet metal fittings that attach the leaf spring end bolts to the (hangers or mounts or frame brackets) that are attached to the frame bed.

I guess You call them "Frame brackets." Now the funny thing is there is a shackle that is inside the hangers (frame brackets) on the rear of my leaf spring so I help that helps. This confused me too until I saw what people were talking about. If I was to name that part I would call it a clevis of some sort. Maybe a frame support clevis. haha. I dunno.

On the parts below the leaf spring (in the middle generally) they have some U-bolts and a spacer. Sorry, if I was calling them shackles too. It's confusing, I think of hand cuffs as shackles too.

Regards,
Larry

Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts
My4Fordtrucks, by hangers, that's what all the part stores call the sheet metal fittings that attach the leaf spring end bolts to the (hangers or mounts or frame brackets) that are attached to the frame bed.

I guess You call them "Frame brackets." Now the funny thing is there is a shackle that is inside the hangers (frame brackets) on the rear of my leaf spring so I help that helps. This confused me too until I saw what people were talking about. If I was to name that part I would call it a clevis of some sort. Maybe a frame support clevis. haha. I dunno.

On the parts below the leaf spring (in the middle generally) they have some U-bolts and a spacer. Sorry, if I was calling them shackles too. It's confusing, I think of hand cuffs as shackles too.

Regards,
Larry
I did not call the shackles "frame brackets". I was asking you what you were referring to when you said hangers. I had not heard of shackles being called "hangers" which is why I was asking. In this response you are calling both the shackles and bracket as hangers which is why I was asking for clarification on what you replaced. Hope this picture helps you with terminology

Old 09-11-2016, 03:24 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Your picture shows what I am saying. I bought the hangers (4 on picture) Some people call them mounts. I don't want to start a argument where none existed. And yes the part 6 is called a shackle as named in the picture. That's what I called it.

I guess I don't know what you refer to as "Frame Bracket". I don't see it on the picture. Are you saying they are the same as 4?

I admit I called the U-bolts assembly (9,7,8) = shackles. Mea culpa, Mea culpa...

Larry