Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended radius arm questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Sevrock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended radius arm questions

I have been looking through these forums awhile and see many things on extended radius arms but not a real answer to my question. Which is I'm planning on doing some work to my truck 1994 f150 and want any opinions on extended arms riding more comfortable/ better etc will also replace coil springs but I'd like a nicer feeling ride if I can. I've heard guys going to these for lift kits etc and say they ride better but I'm Intrested in this for my stock height ride or if it doesn't help any then I'll stick with stock length arms. Current ones bushings are shot and have some small holes rusted through so need replacing but would appreciate any ideas or opinions thanks

Old 09-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The extended control arms are necessary for lift kits otherwise the wheels get pulled back the bigger the lift. Using extended radius arms at stock ride height would push your wheels forward unless you put new brackets further back on your truck.

Bushings are extremely important to the TTB suspension. Try getting all new bushings - including the pivot bushings - then decide if the ride isn't good enough.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Sevrock
New User
Thank you . I intended to drill new holes further back to accommodate the longer arms so the wheel don't move. However am I right to understand that they will help the ride even more so then just new bushing? If I move the bracket back to accommodate? I was thinking about put a leveling kit on the front to help with the front end sag like 2 inch lift and new coil springs maybe. I would like the best possible ride I can get since the arms need to be replaced regardless of new bushing ( holes rusted through center of arms ) Any thoughts on that? Thanks for any answers

Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally don't think longer arms would make it ride better. Lift springs will also generally make it ride worse.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The extended control arms are necessary for lift kits otherwise the wheels get pulled back the bigger the lift. Using extended radius arms at stock ride height would push your wheels forward unless you put new brackets further back on your truck.

Bushings are extremely important to the TTB suspension. Try getting all new bushings - including the pivot bushings - then decide if the ride isn't good enough.
Extended arms are pretty much a necessity on a lifted truck that will be going more places than the mall. They "push the wheels forward" because for a wheel at the end of an X" long arm will move closer to vertically if X" is longer. Unless you screw up mounting them the wheel should be in the same position in the wheel well.

Originally Posted by Lead Head
I personally don't think longer arms would make it ride better. Lift springs will also generally make it ride worse.
Wrong and right. In that order. I have longer arms on my truck at stock height. Definitely a noticeable difference going over potholes. At stock height it's not much but it's definitely noticeable. When I had it lifted a few inches (between 1" and 4" depending on which coil/spacer combo I had in at any given time) it helped a lot. There's a tad less anti-dive but that doesn't affect performance.

x2 on leafs not being god's gift to ride quality. I don't fault people for making that mistake though. I don't think it's fair to expect people who make the mistake of buying a K5 or CJ to have much of a knowledge of vehicle suspension characteristics beyond what's appropriate for an ox drawn cart

Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Sevrock
New User
I appreciate the opinions. It seems some think longer arms help and some don't. I would assume that read the last reply correctly in that as long as I center the wheel properly in the wheel well and then drill holes for the longer arms so as to keep the wheels in the same position I should have no reason to worry? I plan on replacing the coil springs, axle pivot and radius arm bushing regardless but I might put longer arms just for the hell of it.since I will need new ones anyway. Thanks for the comments any other opinions on the topic is appreciated or if anyone else has hands on experience on longer arms in stock height trucks.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:30 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Longer arms will make the wheel move forward/backward less. Thing about where the wheel i and where the pivot points are. If longer arms are pushing your wheel forward substantially then you installed them wrong.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The longer the radius arms are then the longer the "radius" is of the circle they would scribe if they were allowed to pivot 360 degrees. Therefore the more vertical the wheel will move as the truck goes over bumps etc. The closer one can get to a vertical wheel travel the better the ride, or so I would think.

FWIW, when I replaced my old coil springs on my 94 F150 it lifted my truck almost 2 inches in the front. You may not need a levelling kit.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
I had the Tuff Country 22814KN on my '91 F150 SCSB with their springs front and rear. I will say that the ride was more ruff empty but adding a couple hundred pounds in the front of the box fixed that. Driving gravel roads was wonderful. If you were not watching your speed, it just felt right in the 80 to 90 MPH range. If I was to do it again, I would go with the BDS extended arms.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Sevrock
New User
thanks everyone for the ideas I farm on the side so have a toolbox and fuel tank in the truck easily several hundred lbs. I think im going to try the longer arms and will try without a leveling kit for now but the rear is 6 inches higher then the front so if I gain 2 from new coils I might want the kit anyways. I like it level rather then the rake look. I was thinking about upgrading to f250 (3/4 ton) coils I wonder if it will level it out more? Does anyone know where I can get these BDS extended arms at? Maybe jeffs bronco graveyard? Thanks for all the info