Sponsored by: DP Tuner

P0743/P1744 code- need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 PM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0743/P1744 code- need help

So I will start off saying that I have used the search option on this and there are many posts that I have read but I cannot find the answer to what I am questioning. If it is out there then I apologize now.......but I couldn't find it.

So I keep getting these codes shortly after every start up and driving a few miles. I watch my gear/TC lock on my Edge insight CTS and shifts fine but my lock appears sometimes and maybe stays on for about 20-30 seconds but then blinks off and then on again and so on. If I clear the codes, they don't pop up anymore for that drive nor does the CEL until I shut it off and then on again. Even with the codes clear, I can watch my little lock symbol pop on and off again.

So that being said, what I have read and understood (especially from Mark) is that more than likely I have an electrical issue if I am getting both of those codes. So a little more digging I found some tech ref/images that others have posted for the 4R100 shift solenoid.

Problem is that the connector on those images does not match what I am seeing under my truck......assuming that I am looking at the right connector (electrical connector on trans where shift linkage hooks up). The image on those references shows 12 pin positions but only 09 are filled. My connector has 12 positions but has 11 pins on trans side connector and 11 pins with wires on harness side. Am I looking at the right connector????

Assuming that I am looking at the right connector, how do I number these so I can test resistance correctly? And would the resistance be the same as listed on the references with only 9 pins?

Assuming that I am looking at the right connector and using the one missing pin as my guide for the #6 pin on the schematic, I believe that my valve body/assembly needs to be replaced because I am getting basically an open circuit for the TCC lock solenoid......which would explain why it is not locking and staying locked. And in turn explains my higher than normal trans temps.

Sorry to be long winded but I wanted to be as clear as I possibly could (probably only succeeded at being at the level of mud). I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing an assembly but wanted to run it by others on here to correct me if I am wrong. And I am sure that there is a way to post this in multiple forums but I am not that savvy.

Thanks for any and all help. Let me have it if I am completely off track....I am not thin skinned.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Right path overall, wrong connector on the transmission, though. The one on the shift linkage is the connector for the DTR sensor.

The transmission's connector is on the passenger side. It's somewhat oval shaped, 12 pin with pins 6, 9, & 10 unused.

[Edit, additional info] You need to pull it and inspect for corrosion in both sets of contacts before going any further.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:28 AM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Thank you so much for the clarification. I looked on the passenger side and didn't see anything but I guess that I didn't look hard enough. That definitely explains the crazy readings that I am getting. I have hope once again.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM
MK_snipe
Junior User
So it has been a few weeks and I apologize for bringing this back up but life got in the way.

I found the connector and saw what appeared to be some sort of oil on both ends (I believe that this is remnants of the flush that I did that errantly sent/allowed trans fluid to be sprayed). I thoroughly cleaned both ends with electrical contact cleaner. Now my question is.......how in the heck are you guys testing he resistance across those pins? I understand the concept and tools needs but how are you contacting the correct pins in the location that the connector is located? I have my fluke meter with multiple types of connectors but that location is killing me. I can only get one hand/arm up there and then I have to use a mirror to TRY to see the connector while contacting the correct pins. Am I that uncoordinated? Do you guys that have done this just have the touch or have you learned to channel the force? I really hate to have to remove my exhaust pipes to get to this if I can avoid this at all. But if that is what I have to do then that is what I will do. I have a good deal from the local dealership on a new solenoid assembly but don't want to drop the dineros if I don't have to (I have a good business relationship with the dealer and get very competitive pricing but still).

Any insight would be appreciated? Btw, are there any relays/fuses that I can/should be looking at that may cause these codes? I looked at the owners manual and didn't see any relays or fuses listed there that I thought related to this issue. I am assuming there is something under the hood though. Thanks