6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

37 gal. tank question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
37 gal. tank question

quick question. I have the chance to get a 37 gal. tank out of a 2013 F450 long bed. Will it fit in my 2011 F250 short bed that has a 26 gal. tank?

Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
Simple answer is no. If it would fit, then Ford would have used it instead of having the cost of 2 different tank sizes during design and production.

If you are deleted and no DEF tank, you might get it to fit with some new mounts. The simplest is go with aftermarket tank. Yes, the price is on the high side but well worth it in the long haul.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Ditto to Just Strokin comments...

If you are good at fabricating things then MAYBE. What I don't know is where you need the extra room so that all the current lines match up.

If this is something you are getting for free, it might be worth it to figure out, again, assuming you are mechanically inclined and have the time.

I know if I had a SB and a free longbed tank, I wouldn't mess with it.

On Edit: I would however, be looking at replacement tanks, which are even larger than 37 gals.... If I had the extra $ I would be replacing my 37 gal with a larger tank.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:53 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Dak, 48's on the 17"s.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Yeah I know... jealous I am... But I won't be trying to switch a '17 tank onto my '15.... There are many reasons I like the upgrade on the '17 and it may make sense for me to trade in next year for them. I like the 360 cameras. Right now I can park in my garage but it sure is a tight fit. I about have to put KY jelly on the sides and roof to get it in.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:35 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Titan makes a 50gal that fits....would be your only option for under the bed.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Ultratravler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer flow sells a 50 gal. replacement, metal tank for less than the Titan.

Dave

Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
For me - X-Fer Flow is $1531.25 - incl. shipping for a 57 gal tank.

Titan is $2195.00 - incl. shipping for a 65 gal. tank.

Shipping charges are high because I am in Alaska... So take that with a grain of salt. Titan charges more to ship than x-fer flow. ($347 vs. $499).

And now you know why I can handle a 37 gal. stock tank. On trips I take jerry cans with me and like today when I fill up, I also fill those cans up and then as my tank drops I dump them in.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a shot at a 37 gal. tank that a guy pulled out of a F450 to put in a 50+ gallon Titan tank. After hearing what was said here no thanks.

There are two of us with the 26 gal. tanks, me with the F250 and a F350 both 2011's. We pull 5th wheel campers and have to stop more often then the people we run with. Aftermarket tanks not worth the cost so we just stop and add diesel when needed.

For me it is one of the few short comings of the Ford truck that I really enjoy overall.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
I had a shot at a 37 gal. tank that a guy pulled out of a F450 to put in a 50+ gallon Titan tank. After hearing what was said here no thanks.

There are two of us with the 26 gal. tanks, me with the F250 and a F350 both 2011's. We pull 5th wheel campers and have to stop more often then the people we run with. Aftermarket tanks not worth the cost so we just stop and add diesel when needed.

For me it is one of the few short comings of the Ford truck that I really enjoy overall.
Same issue with the 26 gal in my f250. Just added a RDS 33 gal aux gravity feed tank in the bed. So not I am around 60 gal total. I said @ 60 because the first time I filled up the aux tank I put 38 gallons in it. Yes, the valve was closed.
Cost was way less than the under belly and I was able to do it myself.
So as they say, now I stop where I want to and not where I have to.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ct diesel

What he said? There are many of us who have the underbelly tanks and have no problems. I have had mine well over 2 years with ZERO problems.

Not worth the cost? I think it is well worth the cost. Towing my 5th wheel, I can go approx 600 miles without fueling and have a lot better choice of when or where I want to fuel within those 600 miles. Around home, I can get upwards of 900 to 1100 miles per fill up. Again, I can select when and where I want to fill up. I think it is well worth the cost, specially since I found a new 65 gallon Titan tank on eBay for $1200 shipped to me. A buddy and I installed the tank and I paid him $100 for his help.

But, to each their own. I would not go back to the stock tank and can't since I recently sold it with straps for $125.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM
polarlys
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the 50g TITAN tank last year. Ran me about $1250 + a few buck to a friend that installed it for me. Easy job, perfect fit and I'm not looking back. I have the stock tank in the garage if anyone knows someone that needs one.

Roger in NJ

Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
What he said? There are many of us who have the underbelly tanks and have no problems. I have had mine well over 2 years with ZERO problems.

Not worth the cost? I think it is well worth the cost. Towing my 5th wheel, I can go approx 600 miles without fueling and have a lot better choice of when or where I want to fuel within those 600 miles. Around home, I can get upwards of 900 to 1100 miles per fill up. Again, I can select when and where I want to fill up. I think it is well worth the cost, specially since I found a new 65 gallon Titan tank on eBay for $1200 shipped to me. A buddy and I installed the tank and I paid him $100 for his help.

But, to each their own. I would not go back to the stock tank and can't since I recently sold it with straps for $125.
If one is "spreadsheet driven," and is only trying to figure out how long being able to pick out cheaper fuel is going to take to pay for a $1000 tank, it's not worth it. But, if one considers the cheaper fuel AND being able to drive right by stations with difficult maneuvering or questionable fuel quality... Well, most any body shop excursion will pay for the tank, and a new fuel system would pay for eight tanks. And THAT is why one is high on my list.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
LEWIS - If you were spreadsheet driven, you would do what I do and carry 30 gal of jerry cans with you. Much cheaper than the replacement tank. I already had them as I used them to get Biodiesel and do my own B20... Now for convenience sake, it's nicer to have a larger tank where you don't need to stop and dump 5 gal cans in. Although I can tell you that if I feel the diesel could be questionable, I fill up and inspect the jerry can BEFORE putting the fuel in the truck.

The other savings for me is stopping at a gas station convenience store with the family always ends up in a lot of money being spent at the store.

And of course,up here it is possible to go a long distance without seeing anything man made other than the road you are driving on.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by k7lvo
If one is "spreadsheet driven," and is only trying to figure out how long being able to pick out cheaper fuel is going to take to pay for a $1000 tank, it's not worth it. But, if one considers the cheaper fuel AND being able to drive right by stations with difficult maneuvering or questionable fuel quality... Well, most any body shop excursion will pay for the tank, and a new fuel system would pay for eight tanks. And THAT is why one is high on my list.
Well, I made a big dent in the cost the last two summers when i took trips from Alabama to west coast and also to Rocky Mtns in Denver area. of the 10 fill ups in the Denver area and on way there, I was able to buy fuel at least $0.50 a gallon cheaper on average and needing 40 to 50 gallons each fill up. The tank is, for all practical purposes, half paid for on those two trips and I have no urges to trade for a newer truck since this one was a special order I spec'd out in 2014.

But even then, I consider the tank a worth while option compared to a massive front bumper with grill guard and wench or a headache rack with a million candle power of lights or monster wheels and tires or a 6" lift (granted I am only a 4x2). So, no spreadsheet to make comparison for me nor body shop trips to date for damage by a fuel stop.

I did have a 2 body shop excursions from the dual fenders rubbing the paint off the bed on both trips. Ford did warranty the repaint of the bed, twice.

Quick Reply: 37 gal. tank question