Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Lariat Two-Tone Paint with Chrome Package Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lariat Two-Tone Paint with Chrome Package Bumpers

My dad and I ordered Lariats both in two-tone with chrome package, which the Ford website shows as full-chrome bumpers front/rear. Without chrome package, it shows a chrome center section of the front and painted sides/rear. For one reason or another, two-tone paint is impossible to find in dealer stock in my area so we were not able to see one in person prior to ordering (believe me I looked).

His truck is a few days ahead of mine shipping and just arrived at the dealer with fully painted bumpers front/rear. What gives? Is the Ford Build & Price tool wrong? I'm worried mine is going to show up the same way, and painted bumpers is definitely not what I thought I was ordering. I would have ditched the two-tone paint if it meant losing the chrome bumpers.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:53 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
All of the Lariats on my dealer's lot that are two-toned have painted bumpers, even though they have the chrome package. I prefer the chrome bumpers too, and this is the reason I'm not getting the two-toned paint.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Two-Tone is automatic painted bumpers for 2016. Which was a bummer, as the dealer had a 2015 King Ranch Blue Jean Two Tone with chrome bumpers that looked sharp.

The disclaimer was in the fine print for the Chrome Package even though the preview picture will show chrome bumpers.

With 11k miles now, I was concerned about painted front and rear bumpers, however, with a good majority of those miles highway and dirt roads they look great.

Josh

Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
And see, one of the big reasons I opted out of ordering a King Ranch with chrome package is because the Ford website shows painted front bumper wings on the King Ranch even with Chrome package.

My Jeep now has a little over 100k miles on it and the front bumper is totally destroyed by rocks and deep gouges by shopping carts, wheel barrows and whatever else, so chrome front bumpers were absolutely mandatory for my next vehicle purchase and one of the reasons I crossed off the Denali and High Country from my choice list.

I contacted Ford and they really couldn't care less and said it's up to the dealer. I guess we'll see if my dealer is willing to work this one out, otherwise it sounds like i may be in for another long wait and probably a '17 MY.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Schlotzky

I contacted Ford and they really couldn't care less and said it's up to the dealer. I guess we'll see if my dealer is willing to work this one out, otherwise it sounds like i may be in for another long wait and probably a '17 MY.
If some members here can get the dealer to install leather seats in an XLT, I am sure a dealer could easily throw on some chrome bumpers onto a Two-Tone Lariat or King Ranch no problem.

Josh

Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post on here and/or in your state forum - you might find someone looking to trade. I've swapped two grilles that way so far.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put a clear bra on the trucks painted bumper and front surfaces and you'll have no issues. Check into it. It's a 3m product.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I dont know about where you live, but on Craigslist in my area there are always chrome (and painted) bumpers coming up for sale. Many people remove them to put bumper replacements on. They are almost always brand new. You can also check with you local truck accessory stores to see if they have any that a customer didn't want or leave your contact info about if some come up.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
The dealer has agreed to make it right and swap out the bumpers for chrome. It sure seems like a liability for the build and price tool to be so blatantly wrong...

Old 09-02-2016, 10:37 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
of course we all have our own tastes, but I actually had nearly the opposite issue. I can't stand chrome bumpers, and I was calling around to different dealers looking for the right bottom line on a blue jeans KR. The best deal I found was on a chrome package KR and when I did the research I saw the chrome bumpers and immediately crossed that one off the list. luckily I visited that same dealer to look at a different truck and saw that the bumpers on this truck were indeed painted... so I did the deal.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
I've now taken delivery of my truck, and I have to say I absolutely love the way the caribou bumpers look. But to me, it wasn't about how it looks now but rather how it will look in 60k miles covered in chips, so I will be proceeding with at least the front bumper swap even though I'm really a fan of the caribou.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Bullitt390

I've now taken delivery of my truck, and I have to say I absolutely love the way the caribou bumpers look. But to me, it wasn't about how it looks now but rather how it will look in 60k miles covered in chips, so I will be proceeding with at least the front bumper swap even though I'm really a fan of the caribou.
At over 11k miles, my bumper looks great. The front portion of my hood is getting beat up with paint chips though. I really need to get that clear wrap or something.

Josh

Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
At over 11k miles, my bumper looks great. The front portion of my hood is getting beat up with paint chips though. I really need to get that clear wrap or something.

Josh
I have been looking into that stuff. How is the painted portions around the headlight bezel holding up to rock chips? I figured that might be one of the problem areas. The dealer still gave me the option of a free clear bra on the bumpers in lieu of the chrome so I'll have to decide what's more important to me.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Bullitt390

I have been looking into that stuff. How is the painted portions around the headlight bezel holding up to rock chips? I figured that might be one of the problem areas. The dealer still gave me the option of a free clear bra on the bumpers in lieu of the chrome so I'll have to decide what's more important to me.
The front bumper, air dam, headlights and grille are, dare I say, perfect. The front portion of the hood is getting nicked like crazy. 2 stone chips in the windshield too and I have never had stone chips in any windshield in any vehicle since 1993.

Josh

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
We loved the look of the caribou paint, but we opted to not get it simply because you could only get caribou with chrome in 2015. Happy to see they changed that.