1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

tv rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 AM
bh867
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tv rod

i've searched a lot of threads and found a lot of info on adjusting the tv cable but not so much for the tv rod on an aod. I'm looking to pick up an 84 f150, 302, with an aod. The truck sat for about 4 years and also has some vacuum lines i need to figure out before I take off. I dont know if that would effect anything, from what i read there arent any vacuum lines to the trans but I thought I'd throw that in there to be sure. When driving it, it will shift from first to prob fourth in about 3-4 seconds it seems, I basically had to shift it manually to drive it. From what i have read, most people seem to point to the tv needing adjustment, maybe thats wrong im not 100% sure but i want it to be safe to drive tomorrow and not have any issues. This is the first ford I've owned in years so it's all new territory. It looks like the carb has been swapped but it was swapped for a replacement 2150, I don't know if that could cause issues or if its possible it had the wrong arms for the tv rod? I appreciate all of the helpful answers i've had so far on this board. Thanks for all the help, I'm excited to get into this new project, hopefully i can make it home!!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts

ADJUSTMENT AT THE CARBURETOR

The TV control linkage may be adjusted at the carburetor using the following procedure:

Check that engine idle speed is set at the specification.

De-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is at its idle stop. Place shift lever in N (neutral), set park brake (engine off).

Back out linkage lever adjusting screw all the way (screw end if flush with lever face).

Turn in adjusting screw until a thin shim (0.005 inch; max.) or piece of writing paper fits snugly between end of screw and Throttle Lever. To eliminate effect of friction, push linkage lever forward (tending to close gap) and release before checking clearance between end of screw and throttle lever. Do not apply any load on levers with tools or hands while checking gap.

Turn in adjusting screw an additional four turns. (Four turns are preferred. Two turns minimum is permissible if screw travel is limited).

If it is not possible to turn in adjusting screw at least two addition turns or if there was sufficient screw adjusting capacity to obtain an initial gap in Step 2 above, refer to Linkage Adjustment at Transmission.Whenever it is required to adjust idle speed by more than 50 rpm, the adjustment screw on the linkage lever at the carburetor should also be readjusted as shown.

Idle Speed Change/Turns on Linkage Lever Adjustment Screw

Less than 50 rpm: No change required

50 to 100 rpm increase: 1 1 / 2 turns out

50 to 100 rpm decrease: 1 1 / 2 turns in

100 to 150 rpm increase: 2 1 / 2 turns out

100 to 150 rpm decrease: 2 1 / 2 turns in

After making any idle speed adjustments, always verify the linkage lever and throttle lever are in contact with the throttle lever at its idle stop and the shift lever is in N (neutral).

ADJUSTMENT AT TRANSMISSION

See Figure 12

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Automatic overdrive transmission linkage adjustment

The linkage lever adjustment screw has limited adjustment capability. It is not possible to adjust the TV linkage using this screw, the length of the TV control rod assembly must be readjusted using the following procedure. This procedure must also be followed whenever a new TV control rod assembly is installed.

This procedure requires placing the vehicle on jackstands to give access to the linkage components at the transmission TV control lever.

Set the engine curb idle speed to specification.

With engine off, de-cam the fast idle cam on the carburetor so that the throttle lever is against the idle stop. Place shift lever in Neutral and set park brake (engine off).

Set the linkage lever adjustment screw at its approximately mid-range.

If a new TV control rod assembly is being installed, connect the rod to the linkage lever at the carburetor.

CAUTION
The following steps involve working in proximity to the exhaust system. Allow the exhaust system to cool before proceeding.

Raise the vehicle on the hoist.

Using a 13mm box end wrench, loosen the bolt on the sliding trunnion block on the TV control rod assembly. Remove any corrosion from the control rod and free-up the trunnion block so that it slides freely on the control rod. Insert pin into transmission lever grommet.

Push up on the lower end of the control rod to insure that the linkage lever at carburetor is firmly against the throttle lever. Release force on rod. Rod must stay up.

Push the TV control lever on the transmission up against its internal stop with a firm force (approximately 5 pounds) and tighten the bolt on the trunnion block. do not relax force on lever until nut is tightened.

Lower the vehicle and verify that the throttle lever is still against the idle stop. If not, repeat steps 2 through 9.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 PM
bh867
New User
Tv rod

That's perfect. Thanks a ton!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
That's what did it for me!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 PM
bh867
New User
Tv rod

It was deff out of adjustment, I've been able to get it to where it feels better but it still feels off. It still feels like it's shifting to really. I can get it to downshift up to about 40 but 45-50 I haven't had any luck yet. I'm a lil nervous to hit the road with it and I'm wondering if it's better to run it a lil on the tight side or loose to be safe?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another way is to use an oil pressure gauge (Harbor Freight's screws right in) and set it by pressures:

Under very light (under 1500 RPM) throttle, these are the correct shift points for the AOD:

1-2 = 15-20 MPH
2-3 = 25-30 MPH
3-4 = 45-50 MPH

TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC - AOD - REVISED THROTTLE VALVE (TV) LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE USING TV CONTROL PRESSURE

FORD 1980-84 FORD, T-BIRD, LTD

LINCOLN-MERCURY 1980-84 MERCURY, LINCOLN, MARK, COUGAR, MARQUIS, CONTINENTAL

LIGHT TRUCKS 1981-84 E SERIES AND F SERIES EQUIPPED WITH 5.0L ENGINE

This revised method of setting TV linkage on all AOD transmissions is the only way to adjust the linkage to the middle of the specification curve. This method sets the linkage to the most sensitive point.

The new procedure attached uses a TV control pressure gage block service tool D84P-70332-A. If that tool is not available, alternates are listed in the procedure. Highlights of the new procedure include setting the TV linkage at idle with the gage block installed to 35 +/- 5 Psi.

The "TV pressure method for adjusting the TV linkage" procedure is recommended for transmission shift concerns while the "Linkage Adjusted at the Carburetor" procedure is recommended when the idle speed is changed by 50 RPM.

LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT USING TV CONTROL PRESSURE TV ROD SYSTEMS ONLY

The following procedure may be used to check and/or adjust the throttle valve (TV) rod linkage using the TV control pressure.

1. Check/adjust the engine curb idle speed to specification required.

2. Attach a 0-100 PSI pressure gage, T73L-6600-A, with the adapter fitting D80L-77001-A, or equivalent to the TV port on the transmission with sufficient flexible hose to make gage accessible while operating the engine.

Obtain a TV control pressure gage block, service tool no. D84P-70332-A, or fabricate a block .397 +/- .007 inch thick (Figure 8). The following drill bit
shanks may also be used in order of preference: Letter X (.397 inch), 10 mm (.3937 inch) or 25/64 (.3906 inch).

4. Operate the engine until normal operating temperature is reached and the throttle lever is off fast idle or the Idle Speed Control plunger* (if equipped) is at its normal idle position. The transmission fluid temperature should be approximately 100-150~ F. Do not make pressure check if transmission fluid is cold or too hot to touch.

5. Set parking brake, place shift selector in N (neutral), remove air cleaner, shut off air conditioner. If equipped with a Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator, disconnect and plug the vacuum line to this unit. If equipped with a Throttle Solenoid Positioner or an Idle Speed Control,* do not disconnect either of these units.

IMPORTANT: Do not make pressure check in Park.

6. With engine idling in neutral, and no accessory load on engine, insert gage block (or drill shank) between the carburetor throttle lever and adjustment screw on the TV linkage lever at the carburetor (Figure 8). The TV pressure should be 35 PSI +/- 5 PSI. For best transmission function, use the adjusting screw to set the pressure as close as possible to 35 PSI. Turning the screw in will raise the pressure 1.5 PSI per turn. Backing out the screw will lower the pressure. If equipped with Idle Speed Control, some *"hunting" may occur and an average pressure reading will have to be determined. If the adjusting screw does not have enough adjustment range to bring TV pressure within specification, first adjust rod at the transmission as described in the Shop Manual.

7. Remove gage block, allowing TV lever to return to idle. With engine still idling in neutral, TV pressure must be at or near zero (less than 5 PSI). If not, back out adjusting screw until TV pressure is less than 5 PSI. Re-install gage block and check that TV pressure is still 35 PSI +/- 5 PSI.

*NOTE: Idle Speed Control is only on 1984 3.8L engine with AOD transmission.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None
WARRANTY STATUS: "INFORMATION ONLY"